This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Puella Maji Madoka Majica

edited March 2011 in Anime
This is the best show I have seen in years. They gave the guy who made Bakemonogatari free reign. I literally can't say much else without ruining it. If you aren't watching this, you need to.

Comments

• Is he trollin'? the first episode set it out to be pretty dire.
  • edited March 2011
    No, I am not trolling. It improves rapidly. And if you go back, the first episode is actually much better than you think after you have seen ep 10. If you really want me to troll something, I'll start a thread on Gundam Ute... I mean, Star Driver.
    Post edited by Void Dragon on
  • I haven't watched it in a while since I've been behind on all my anime as I've been pretty much watching House and nothing but as of late. It's a decent show, and the animation is pretty crazy at times (witch worlds). I'm watching any show by SHAFT anyway.
  • This show really is amazing. So far my only issue with it is that you almost have to watch the first three episodes all at once. If you don't, all you see is what the show would be with any other director and writer.
    Everything ramps up after that. I think we might be seeing one of those times when a director and writer go from being names you recognise in the credits to *shakes fist* "DAMN YOU [insert names]!"
  • This is the best show I have seen in years.
    Gonna have to second this, granted I haven't watched most of the highly praised shows of the past years like Tatami Galaxy and Bakemonogatari but have instead been burn by shows that I was looking forward to like Shin Mazinger and Star Driver.
    Madoka on the other hand has gotten me excited for a currently airing show in a way only Gurren Lagann and Kaiji have done in the past. Mostly due to the situations in which the characters are put in and how they react to them even if the outcome is rather predictable.
    Is he trollin'? the first episode set it out to be pretty dire.
    Which is why you shouldn't judge a show on the first episode unless you know full well what the show is gonna be. The first episode does play out like a typical magical girl show but once those trippy visuals Shinbo is known for kick in, its pretty clear it isn't gonna be a normal MG show. By the third episode its clear things are headed in a different direction then usual.
  • Goddamn, this makes me so happy.
    I was tempted to ask if anyone else on these forums was watching Madoka, now that I know other people are it's going to lure me out of lurking.
    I seriously went in just expecting another magical girl show. I initially had no reason to believe otherwise and I was kind of okay with that, being a fan of magical girl shows. But this one really blows everything else out the water. It's taken it's place in my top 3 right alongside Card Captor Sakura and Princess Tutu. I think the best part is how I (and a few of my other friends as well) learned to understand and like characters that gave an initially bad impression (Homura, Kyoko). It also raises several interesting psychological questions (for people who already understand what's going on).
  • I heard people started dying on the first or second episode. I will give it a chance after I finish watching Princess Tutu and the current season of My Little Pony is over.
  • It's basically Magical Girl Bokurano, if I had to sum it up like that.
  • http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2011-03-18/shinbo-tomino-want-to-do-new-madoka-magica-ideon

The show will now have a spin off that will be
    an ordinary slice-of-life story with the characters instead.
    Well it certainly will be harder to sell the show to people if they get the wrong impression through this.
    Didn't care for Ideon but having more of it isn't bad either.
  • It's basically Magical Girl Bokurano, if I had to sum it up like that.
    I've been telling people that it is the Dark Knight of Magical Girl shows.
  • http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2011-03-18/shinbo-tomino-want-to-do-new-madoka-magica-ideon

The show will now have a spin off that will be
    an ordinary slice-of-life story with the characters instead.
    Well it certainly will be harder to sell the show to people if they get the wrong impression through this.
    Didn't care for Ideon but having more of it isn't bad either.
    I love how the important part of that (MOAR IDEON) is what you ignore. :3c
  • Finally getting around to finish this series. Got another four episodes to go, but should knock them out tonight.
    Damn, the show is fucking dark. When I first heard about it, particularly because the character designs are from the person that made Hidamari Sketch, I expected a happy go lucky magical girl show. Hell, the absolutely misleading opening animation just reinforced that idea. And then: people dying, absolutely deranged (but great) animation, souls getting ripped out of people, and a dose of cannibalism to top it off.
  • Magical girls getting attacked by SHAFT openers. Characters are simple. The only interesting part is the world building done and throwing the characters against the brick wall that it is. Then they pull out the deus ex anima end and it's over after showing us moe-Cleopatra, moe-Joan of Arc and moe-Anne Frank. I might have missed a few, but I don't rewatch so soon.
    They gave the guy who made Bakemonogatari free reign.
    You mean Shinbou? He always takes free reign whether it is given or not. In my opinion the lack of restriction makes for a less Shinbou-esque show. The grim derpdarkness comes mostly from the scriptwriter. Who also wrote the script for Saya no Uta (aka Song of Saya, aka My Girlfriend the Shoggoth). The LOLGOD ending is just that. LOLGOD, nicely incorporated.
  • You mean Shinbou? He always takes free reign whether it is given or not. In my opinion the lack of restriction makes for a less Shinbou-esque show. The grim derpdarkness comes mostly from the scriptwriter. Who also wrote the script for Saya no Uta (aka Song of Saya, aka My Girlfriend the Shoggoth). The LOLGOD ending is just that. LOLGOD, nicely incorporated.
    I disagree, Shinbou has a style which focus' heavily on the use of light, shadow play, backgrounds that are are interesting silhouettes. In a lot of his comedies he isn't able to do that but after Bakumonogatari it has been sneaking into more of his work. There are a ton of those Shinbou-esq shadow sequences in SoreMachi, although in that case the animation matches the rather... uncharacteristic tone for a gag show.
  • I disagree, Shinbou has a style which focus' heavily on the use of light, shadow play, backgrounds that are are interesting silhouettes. In a lot of his comedies he isn't able to do that but after Bakemonogatari it has been sneaking into more of his work.
    To only ascribe those few aspects to his style is doing Shinbou short (and by extension SHAFT). Those are the styles exhibited in PMMM though, alongside the photo-collage visuals for the witch worlds. The show was written that way specifically and it too does what Shinbou does best short. In that regards I find Bakemonogatari to be a better show. That however suffers from Senjougahara and her relationship with Arararagi basically dropping from the face of the earth and then swinging back in your face in the last episode. Though you can attribute that to the source material and the way the show is set up in clear 'arcs'. The loli rape also didn't help.
  • I disagree, Shinbou has a style which focus' heavily on the use of light, shadow play, backgrounds that are are interesting silhouettes. In a lot of his comedies he isn't able to do that but after Bakemonogatari it has been sneaking into more of his work.
    To only ascribe those few aspects to his style is doing Shinbou short (and by extension SHAFT). Those are the styles exhibited in PMMM though, alongside the photo-collage visuals for the witch worlds. The show was written that way specifically and it too does what Shinbou does best short. In that regards I find Bakemonogatari to be a better show. That however suffers from Senjougahara and her relationship with Arararagi basically dropping from the face of the earth and then swinging back in your face in the last episode. Though you can attribute that to the source material and the way the show is set up in clear 'arcs'. The loli rape also didn't help.
    I didn't mean to say that is ONLY what Shinbou does well, those are the elements that are present in all post Bakemonogatari Shinbou anime. The photo-collage visuals are also from Bakamonogatari but no wear near as much from what I remember. The most he ever used them there were quick shots of patterns, mostly plaid.

Bakamonogatari is probably the better show. But Madoka gets a lot of points for taking Magical Girl and doing something new and interesting with the genre. I'm not saying everything Madoka did was original, or that Madoka was a perfect anime. It was a predictable dark fantasy/scifi. But the characters were well written, the story was interesting, and the visuals really put it over the top especially in the final two episodes. The Homura versus Walpurgis Night fight alone is everything I want from anime and more.
  • Bakamonogatari
    I want to watch this show. It's like Bakemonogatari, only instead of being about monsters it's about stupid people.
  • Bakamonogatari
    I want to watch this show. It's like Bakemonogatari, only instead of being about monsters it's about stupid people.
    Would that have more or less loli rape?
  • The photo-collage visuals are also from Bakamonogatari but no wear near as much from what I remember.
    Bakemonogatari only had the first few minutes of episode one. The "Your brain on SHAFT" moment basically. Mixed with the flat colour interlaced slides. The former not appearing all that much
    But Madoka gets a lot of points for taking Magical Girl and doing something new and interesting with the genre.
    Not all that much new things other than visually and the fact that it's SHAFT doing a magical girl show.
    But the characters were well written
    More like well-picked character archetypes. They're only there to show the fall out from smashing them against a brick wall made out of "You're already dead"-metal (Dragonforce if it's even harder than that). There's little actual development in the characters. The only two characters with any real depth (puddle of rainwater-depth) are Homura and Madoka. The former being the token lesbian, the latter being Shinji that skips EoE and just becomes god.
    [T]he story was interesting
    What is your wish Madoka? What is your wish Madoka? What is your wish Madoka? What is your wish Madoka? What is your wish Madoka? What is your wish Madoka? What is your wish Madoka? The side stories were more interesting than that. This show is all about the execution and the atmosphere. Which it did very well.
    So... Just the Bonkler-centric Scenes from Azumanga Daioh: The animation? I would watch that.
  • I think people are over-selling the darkness of the show; it has a happy ending, and a fundamentally positive message of growth, hope, change, etc. In fact, I'd say it's like the Gurren Lagann of magical girl shows, only it's even more Gurren Lagann than Gurren Lagann, for reasons that I can't explain further without spoilers.

Speaking of which:
    There's little actual development in the characters. The only two characters with any real depth (puddle of rainwater-depth) are Homura and Madoka. The former being the token lesbian, the latter being
    What the hell, man?! Spoilers!

Also, I'm sorry you didn't get any sense of character from the others. There's not much time for it, in a 12 episode series, but at least recognize that other people had a different viewing experience. I was amazed at how strong a sense of Mami I got, for instance, after her starting off as a just another half-lidded-makes-this-look-easy senpai. And certainly Sayaka had her time in the sun, and Kyouko went through a complete arc! Hell, even Kyubey gets to have a range of postures and interactions, and he only has one expression!

Honestly, I think the show is the equal of any that I've ever seen, marred only by callouts to the same-old same-old moeblob nonsense, but that's not unlike complaining that Evangelion has really really ridiculously large robots in it.
  • What is wrong with my typing today?
    What is your wish Madoka? What is your wish Madoka? What is your wish Madoka? What is your wish Madoka? What is your wish Madoka? What is your wish Madoka? What is your wish Madoka? The side stories were more interesting than that. This show is all about the execution and the atmosphere. Which it did very well.
    I wouldn't consider "what will Madoka wish for" as the central narrative thread. The bigger thread is "what does QB really want" or even "What is the true nature of the magical girl"? The show doesn't make a secret of the fact that he is up to something much larger and the element that drives the narrative is when that bigger plan is slowly revealed. What is the true nature of the Magical Girl? Why doesn't Homura trust QB?
    There's little actual development in the characters. The only two characters with any real depth (puddle of rainwater-depth) are Homura and Madoka. The former being the token lesbian, the latter being Shinji that skips EoE and just becomes god.
    Remember, this is a 13 episode series. There isn't much character work you can do and still have time for a complex narrative about space aliens harvesting little girls. But I think Madoka is more complex than you're giving her credit. Yes, she is the generic magical girl heroine but they gave her a reason for being so altruistic by giving her an exaggeratedly good home life and a fantastic female role model. Those small elements go a long way in such a short series.

Also, don't know why we're arguing details. xD Lets agree, watch Madoka!
  • edited April 2011
    it has a happy ending
    It has a Princess Tutu ending. It's a good/positive ending, but...
    [F]undamentally positive message of growth, hope, change, etc.
    One important ingredient that makes PMMM a magical girl show. Yet there are still people HURFing about that it's a deconstruction.
    What the hell, man?! Spoilers!
    I think the statute of limitations on Evangelion spoilers has long passed. If you still don't know that Shinji basically becomes god then I have no words for you. Regardless, have my apologies for that one.
    Also, I'm sorry you didn't get any sense of character from the others.
    I got plenty of sense of character from the other players in the show. I'm just saying they're stock characters (not a bad thing seeing as the majority of anime shows these days have just stock characters). They just have very little development. Mami drinks tea and eats crumpets, Kyouko eats apples and is the other lesbian, Sayaka is an audiophile and gets raped by the grey morality of the world.
    at least recognize that other people had a different viewing experience
    I didn't say anything in the opposite of that regard. We're just discussing differing viewpoints, opinions, about the show.
    I wouldn't consider "what will Madoka wish for" as the central narrative thread.
    That is a viewer question, "What is your wish Madoka" is very much an in-universe question, and if you've seen the end you should see what I did there. After episode 1 it was already plainly obvious to most viewers that Madoka's wish, and thus becoming a magical girl, would be in the last thing of the entire series. The last episode. She is the hero after all. The one who will make it all right. The show screams "THIS IS THE WORLD. WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT? WHAT IS YOUR WISH MADOKA? HOW ARE YOU GOING TO FIX THIS?". Then we get the aforementioned deus ex anima and she takes a monkey wrench to the world.
    The bigger thread
    No. Your suggested threads are all side-stories. Coming in later and/or being resolved before the end.
    "what does QB really want"
    Gets answered by episode 7 or somewhere around there. After which focus shifts heavily to Homerun-chan.
    "What is the true nature of the magical girl"
    Answered over the course of the show so that Madoka can make her informed wish.
    But I think Madoka is more complex than you're giving her credit.
    Did I not pick out Homerun-chan and Madoka and note that they had some depth? There is no actual character development though. The only difference between start and end in regards to characters is that 1) they are all dead, and 2) deus ex anima.
    Also, don't know why we're arguing details. xD Lets agree, watch Madoka!
    I'd say our arguing about the details, after both having made clear we like the show, that it's a great show that should be checked out by most? Is that not what people do with that pony show as well?
    Post edited by Zack Patate on
  • No. Your suggested threads are all side-stories. Coming in later and/or being resolved before the end.
    They aren't significant enough to call side stories. They all help move the central narrative along and thus they are main plot threads.
    Gets answered by episode 7 or somewhere around there. After which focus shifts heavily to Homerun-chan.
    9, and then the characters are left with the opportunity to solve the main problem. Standard structure for a 12 episode series. In fact, better than most.
    Did I not pick out Homerun-chan and Madoka and note that they had some depth? There is no actual character development though. The only difference between start and end in regards to characters is that 1) they are all dead, and 2) deus ex anima.
    Spoilers: Homura is in tears in the final episode. That is not something we could have expected in episode 1. Again, small details matter in such a short series. That is a big character change from the perspective of the audience.
  • 9, and then the characters are left with the opportunity to solve the main problem.
    Yup indeed. Episode 9 he plainly states what he does. Had already forgotten that Sayaka's fall out took a bit longer. Especially with the long wait for the last two episodes. My bad.
    They aren't significant enough to call side stories. They all help move the central narrative along and thus they are main plot threads.
    Tomato, tomato. You call 'em threads, I call them side stories. The main plot was build up by the supports laid down by the side stories.
    Spoilers: Homura is in tears in the final episode. That is not something we could have expected in episode 1. Again, small details matter in such a short series. That is a big character change from the perspective of the audience.
    I already said Homerun had some depth.
    Homerun-chan's proper introduction only came in episode 10. In that time Kyouko strangled a Kyubei. Before that she had zero motivators. Forced mystery surrounding a character does not make future reveals character development. She was also in tears before, maybe twice. But the characters are still mostly bland. The only interesting thing is the pattern they leave after colliding with the brick wall of the world.
  • Marathoned through this whole thing today. Very worth watching.

Mostly agree with everything Nine said in this thread, though. Some of the characters are paper-thin, and the briefness of the series is not really an excuse when you consider series like FLCL, Jyu Oh Sei, Baccano, Kemonozume, and plenty of others that are similarly short and still manage to develop their characters plenty. Also, a lot of the moments that felt like they should have been "oh snap" moments kind of fell flat for me because I saw them coming.

The execution is what makes this show great. Definitely some strong Eva and Paranoia Agent elements got thrown into the mix rather well. The themes are strong throughout and there's a lot of material to consider. The structure is logical and the ending doesn't seem too rushed, drawn out, sudden, or out of place. The quality is consistent and the animation is trippy. Despite its faults, everyone should watch it. It's probably one of the best shows of recent years.
  • FINE! I'LL FUCKING TRY IT! FINALLY! EVERYONE WORE ME DOWN! I'll report back after my marathon tomorrow.
  • No, I am not trolling. It improves rapidly. And if you go back, the first episode is actually much better than you think after you have seen ep 10. If you really want me to troll something, I'll start a thread on Gundam Ute... I mean, Star Driver.
    Man Star Driver was awesome, but mostly because of how FABULOUS and over the top it was. I mean seriously robot dandies with fancy feathered hats and giant high heel feet that fight with rapiers, bad guys who wear masquerade masks and dress in motley, I loved watching it.
  • FINE! I'LL FUCKING TRY IT! FINALLY! EVERYONE WORE ME DOWN! I'll report back after my marathon tomorrow.
    Is the Otagal podcast returning as well?
    Umm...*runs away*
    Umm...*runs away*
    :( Why?