This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Bags

edited August 2009 in Everything Else
So my second year of college starts on tuesday, and I was GOING to order the bag of holding from think geek, but they seem to be out of stock. I need a bag to hold my 17" laptop, its brick, and about 4" thick worth of books. I prefer messenger style bags, but I'll take a backpack if its comfy.

Budget: $50 if without a laptop pocket, $60 if with.

Comments

• I prefer messenger style bags, but I'll take a backpack if its comfy.
    A 17" laptop, its brick, and 4" thick worth of books will absolutely KILL YOU in a messenger bag. You definitely need a backpack for that.
  • I highly recommend L.L. Bean bags. I have an L.L. Bean book bag that was given to me for a high school graduation gift. I am still using it and it looks brand new. The packs are durable, expand to conform to space needed, some accommodate laptops, the straps are padded and adjustable to fit comfortable even baring a lot of weight, and they have more pockets than you could ever need (which can be great to protect a laptop from other items that might damage it).
  • I was going to recommend my L.L. Bean Shockwave laptop backpack, which is fantastic but they seem to have discontinued it. It's very durable, and has more than enough space for all my stuff. Nevertheless, look and see if they have something you like.
  • There are more LL Bean book bags and messenger bags in the school book bag section.
  • okay, cool. Once I get home I'll check them out. One of my main concerns is comfort; I only have class twice a week, but its all day for those days.
  • Also, check an Army/Navy surplus store to see if maybe they have something you could use.
  • edited August 2009
    On the note of bags for college...I start in a month and I'm slightly unsure what to do. I already have a great bookbag that's been going strong for like 10+ years now. Should I get a separate laptop bag or should I just get an entirely new bookbag that has a laptop pocket in it?
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • If you've got a bag that's still good, just get a laptop sleeve and shove the thing in your bag.
  • If you've got a bag that's still good, just get a laptop sleeve and shove the thing in your bag.
    Like this?
  • Ro, that is awesome.

Also, people might want to check out CHROME's bags. They're pricey, but I hear the quality is excellent. They also look really cool. http://chromebagsstore.com
  • Ro, that is awesome.
    It's not my creation. I did link it, however I'm sure that I can make it with minimal fuss, but I have no laptop.
    Where can you commonly buy sleeves?
    Best buy. Online. etc.
  • Time ran out for finding the perfect bag, so I just ran to office depot with my laptop and all my books and wires, grabbed some bags I liked and test fitted them all. I ended up getting a Swiss backpack with a dedicated padded electronics compartment and a expandable pocket for books and such. I'll post a link to the exact model when I'm not lazy. I might make one of those laptop cozys, though.
    I have the Shinza Zeroshock sleeve for my laptop. It comes in an incredibly wide variety of sizes and colors. It was the only quality sleeve that was available for my laptop. At the time, 10.6" was an oddball laptop size.
  • To get the discussion out of the Dating thread, let us necro this one - Everyone, tell us of your bags or bags you want.
  • Im currently using an old pack that I took with me traveling and on a couple of EX's I've been on. Its stood up to a load of battering and stayed in good nick. My only problem with it is that it is red, dulled from use and dirt, but still red. I did have a messenger bag bit it just fell apart after a couple of months, coupled with how uncomfortable it became after using it for a while I got rid of it.
  • You've heard it before. Custom Timbuk2 is the way to go. Expensive, but will last you forever.
  • edited August 2011
    You've heard it before. Custom Timbuk2 is the way to go. Expensive, but will last you forever.
    $140 for a bag(not including shipping, but with strap pad and shagg bag) is a bit much. I'd love to get one, but it's currently a bit rich for my blood, and it's not like other bags don't last me quite a while either.

Though, I have worn out other carry options, admittedly, considering that it's not unusual for me to carry tools of all sorts, parts, and other sorts of seemingly random shit that isn't always conducive to keeping your bags lasting a long time.

If I had the cash to get one, it would be a toss-up between a Timbuck2 or a chrome messenger.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Same, they look really good but my back cost me £20 and has lasted through a shit tone and does everything I want.
  • This is the bag I've had for seven years, four of those being in college, lugging around huge engineering books, and is still awesome for taking things back and forth to work. I also have a smaller single-strap backpack that I use on occasion. I don't really go out and about much (or travel), so I don't feel any need for something more versatile or cooler looking.
  • I've only paid more than $100 for a bag once. That was for a 65L Osprey Atmos that makes 50lbs feel like a feather. That was nearly $200. There's no way in hell I'd spend anywhere near that for a messenger bag, especially when my $40 REI daypack with a laptop sleeve holds more and does the job better. Hipbelt, too.
  • I carry an old-style suitcase at college because it gets stares.

I love being an art student :P
  • An old Gap messenger's pack I've had since just after high school. I'd like to get a smaller Timbuk2 or Chrome bag (this one's big enough to carry my 17 inch laptop), if just for convenience.
  • When I can, I use the Rarity bag I got at CTcon this year.
    When I'm carrying to much for that (which is most of the time) I use the bag that came with the inFamous 2 Super Special Awesome Edition. It is super high-quality, water proof, and very comfortable.
  • edited August 2011
    I have a lot of purses, but lately I carry a larger purse with my D&B wristlet inside it. That way I can stash the big purse in the trunk of my car and just use the wristlet if I don't need all of my gear.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on