This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Let's Learn League of Legends

edited August 2011 in Everything Else
MOBA = Multiplayer Online Battle Arena

AKA DoTA Clones

Amid all the MOBA hate on FRC, I'm sure there are 4 other people who want to try a DoTA game but are afraid of the community and the learning curve.

Well, we can eliminate 50% of that by creating a set team here and learning together. Do you suck? Do you have no idea how to play? SAME HERE!

The reason I'd pick League of Legends over Heroes of Newerth is that LoL is much more straight forward in how characters play and advance and it doesn't have HoN's crazy game changing items.

Ganked from Penny Arcade:

The LoL approach to Monkey King

Also, the lead designer of LoL wrote this

Then again, since HoN is basically a palate swap for DoTA, DoTA 2 will almost certainly look more like HoN than LoL. The problem is that the mechanics of HoN are way more crazy and complex.

The HoN approach to Monkey King

Both are free to play, with rotating heroes.

So, what can you look forward to if you join? Well, we'll get destroyed for many many games but we'll get better and we won't get screamed at by 12 year olds while we do it.

So?

Comments

Both communities are full of assholes. Fuck that.
  • edited August 2011
    that's the WHOLE POINT of this.

Set team of Not Assholes means you interact with ZERO assholes.

Besides, that comic was about being bad a LoL (which is the other whole point of this).
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • I've been playing LoL lately. I haven't experienced any community problems. I'm only level three, but consider me game.
  • I'd be willing to give it a shot.
  • It also might be fun to make a podcast about learning the game (but only because we could call it League of Legends: We Undertake Training or LoL:WUT)
  • edited August 2011
    It also might be fun to make a podcast about learning the game (but only because we could call it League of Legends: We Undertake Training or LoL:WUT)
    I am also onboard for this. It'd be the push necessary to stop shittalking about my other podcast project and start that one, too.

An aside: I'll DPS tank for us with Mordekaiser, if everyone's down with that.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I'm in. I have LoL installed, but I've only played through the tutorial mission.
  • I have LoL on my computer, but it crashed the both times I tried to play it.
  • I'm in. I have LoL installed, but I've only played through the tutorial mission.
    Learning to play is the goal.
  • I can play LOL moderately well. I'm no expert (and I havn't played in about 2 months now, basically since I bought Orianna). My steam account is Creamsteak if you want to send me a message. I may have to reinstall, I'm not positive.
  • When's a good time for people to have a go at this? I'm open most of this week besides Wednesday and Thursday.
  • What time zone are most people in?

I'm on the West Coast.

Does Tuesday 830PM PST work?
  • I'm CST. That'll work for me.
  • I'm EST. That's doable. Give me a change to learn items and heroes and all that jazz. Been a while since I played DotA
  • I've been playing actually for a little while now and yeah... Solo queue is always a suicide waste of more or less 40 minutes unless you're crazy at hard-carrying but yeah as you guys are saying, it can actually be pretty fun with friends/a set team I'd be down to play with you guys
  • CST. Work till 5 on weekdays.
  • I've been playing LoL for a good while now (just hit maximum level last week, yeaaahhh) and I'm willing to help people learn the game. As for playing games, I mostly play tanks and supports, so anyone wanting to try their hand at playing a Carry can bring me along to help.

Problem being my schedule by way of my job. I have Thursdays and Sundays off, but on the rest of the days I'm free until about 2:30 PM EST and I don't get back until anywhere from 11 PM to as late as 1 AM. S-so uh, I'll probably be sitting this first gathering out.
  • edited August 2011
    I've created a steam group

Let's Learn League of Legends

join up if you want to play

There is a good chance I'm going to be facing some crunch time in the near future so weekends are probably going to work best for me as well in the future.
  • edited August 2011
    CST. Work till 5 on weekdays.
    This. I work till 6 and get home around 6:30 on tuesdays. Consider me available from 5:30 every other day.

I'm saving IP for Mordekaiser right now and will probably buy Gangplank with RP so that I can carry harder. My handle is HeadlessClown88, if anyone wants to friend me and have an unofficial introductory round within the next couple hours.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I'm most comfortable in a support role but I'm looking to branch out.
  • I mostly have played Jax and Orianna.
  • edited August 2011
    I am an experienced LoL player, with around 1000 games under my belt. I can help you guys to not suck.

The deal with LoL, and most MOBA games in general, is that one player can trivially lose the game for your entire team of 5. That means that while you're learning the game, you will very often cause your team to lose, and you'll be hated for it. When you get better, unless you have a team of 5 people you trust, you're going to find that the majority of the time your team is going to be let down by some of the random strangers on your team. Hence assholery is basically a natural result of the way the game works - it's easy to get pissed off when you lose a game not through any fault of your own, but because of your teammate(s).
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited August 2011
    If this picks up steam, maybe we could to an Ultimate Fighter style competition with two teams led by veterans (only no voting off the island or however the fuck those shows work now)
  • Let's Learn League of Legends
    Nice icon. :V

My main champs are Alistar, Taric, and Dr. Mundo, though I have plenty of champs that I don't play as often. Suppose I ought to mention my LoL username being Yuyuke (BIG SURPRISE HUH) as well.

YOU CAN'T MILK THOSE
  • edited August 2011
    There is an issue of stateful bullshit in LoL; it's even worse than it is in TF2. I won't make excuses for it, but I find it tolerable because it flattens out at the top, and that's where I am already. Once you're at the max summoner level of 30, with several good rune pages and a decent selection of champions, you're no longer at a disadvantage, and everyone you end up playing against will be in the same situation.

Fortunately, that doesn't entirely break this possibility:
    If this picks up steam, maybe we could to an Ultimate Fighter style competition with two teams led by veterans (only no voting off the island or however the fuck those shows work now)
    because, similarly to how we played TF2 with the default weapons only, you still have the option of completely taking off your runes and masteries to equalise yourself with someone who is just starting. We wouldn't be able to play draft mode, though, since some people's selections of champions would be too limited.

On the plus side, ping would be less of an issue than it was in our TF2 "scrim".
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I'd be down for a practice game soonish. All my relevant names are Ruffas.
  • On a side note, for those of you who have some idea of what you're doing, but are looking for help playing specific champs, there are sites for that. A couple of personal favorites are MOBAFire and LeagueCraft, which have great lists of guides and build advice. Additionally, the unofficial wiki might be of help to people who want a bit more detail on the specifics.
  • I'm Wyatt21.
  • I'm Malvorich. Played exactly one time. I get the gameplay, still learning the characters and the items.
    Only played with people I know so far. Zero asshole quotient.
  • In LoL I'm Horthas.