This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

HP Kills WebOS

edited August 2011 in Technology
I don't know if anyone noticed, but HP is making a huge strategic shift. They are cutting off their consumer PC business just like IBM cut theirs off and gave it to Lenovo. They also gave up on WebOS, which they didn't have the skills to succeed with from the start.

What's interesting is now the HP Touchpad is getting price dropped to $99 in some places. I'm waiting for Amazon or Newegg to cut the price, and I'll probably pick one up. Sure it's a dead platform that won't have any apps for it. But the hardware alone is worth more than $99. It's a $99 touchscreen. Also, you know someone is going to be able to install Android on it. I can also develop some small personal projects on it for fun.

Comments

• Ohhhh.. that sounds like a good idea... Also HP hasn't made a good business move in like 10 years... What's their problem?
  • I predict that we're going to see all the interface designers who worked on WebOS get bought up by Google.

The main problem with WebOS is that by the time it came out, it's marketshare had already been eaten by Android. If it had come out a year earlier and competed against the G1, it would have kicked ass. We'd probably be talking right now in a thread about Google giving up on Android, rather than HP giving up on WebOS. As it stands, though, it came out just in time for Google to launch against it what basically turned in to the first "real" version of Android: the 2.0/2.1 Eclair build.

It's kinda a shame, though. I only used it on occasion, but I really liked WebOS' interface.
  • I tried to buy a Touchpad this morning and failed pretty hard. Couldn't get there in time. I'll buy one as soon as I can find it for the $100 pricetag online.
  • Trying to get it from HP's site. It is NOT cooperating. I keep getting some VBScript "Out of memory" error. Dammit!
  • Yeah, called a bunch of stores, they're all out. Seems like the HP site is the best bet, but their servers are fucked and the call wait is estimated at "over an hour." Helpful, that.
  • I got through to the HP site. They're out of stock.
  • edited August 2011
    The HP Small and Medium business site still has them, though. Take a look.
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • Don't know if worth it...
  • The thing is, a bunch more devices (250k or so) exist, they're just in "limbo" - Best Buy sent all of theirs back to HP, so HP.com should be getting a bunch more in stock in the coming days.
  • I'm going to wait, then. The price of that touchpad is about half that of a 35mm f/1.8 lens, and I have this feeling that I'll get far more use out of the lens as opposed to the tablet. Especially if I end up getting a Galaxy S II.
  • I'm waiting for Newegg/Amazon or another site I can actually trust. I checked a Staples, since I had to walk near it anyway. They only had 32GB model, and it was still the original price. I was going to ask someone, but it was crazy back to school, so I was like "fuck this shit."
  • Web OS is good. haven't found hardware that can run it in its' full capacity.
  • The PC Richard & Son near me ordered 3,000 TouchPads from HP and is taking preorders (at the correct $100 or $150 price point). I'll have mine sometime next week. I don't know if this is every PC Richard & Son, but I recommend you give it a shot if you're interested.
  • VBSCRIPT OUT OF MEMORY Y U DO DIS
  • Rumors of Best Buy's shipback have been greatly exaggerated. Just reserved a $150 32GB model at my local store. Apparently, as the cute girl at the store explained, retail sales elsewhere have been so good that Best Buy is not shipping them back; the stores are currently working on repricing their stock, which presents a minor tech problem. Once this is fixed, you can pick up your unit.
  • Rumors of Best Buy's shipback have been greatly exaggerated. Just reserved a $150 32GB model at my local store. Apparently, as the cute girl at the store explained, retail sales elsewhere have been so good that Best Buy is not shipping them back; the stores are currently working on repricing their stock, which presents a minor tech problem. Once this is fixed, you can pick up your unit.
    Makes you wonder why they are cancelling it... If it's so popular :-p
  • Hey if someone can pick one of those up for me, I would pay them back and for shipping... (OR A WEDDING PRESENT :-p)
  • Oh mans. I just checked walmart and officemax but neither of them had them, and the officemax ad was tge original price anyway. I'm hoping the marquette best buy will have them tomorrow when I go back for college. Also if anyone could pick me one up I will repay you with sexual favors...or cash.
  • This thing is awesome. People who ordered one are in for a treat, even before they load Android. I checked my Best Buy, but they've already sold all their remaining stock. Newegg is waiting to start their sell-off for reasons I don't understand, so if you haven't found one, camp that site.
  • Just bought a 16GB for $99 from a 3rd party seller on Amazon. If they dick me over Amazon will give me my money back.
  • Really I don't see any 3rd Party sellers with the discounted rate.
  • Just bought a 16GB for $99 from a 3rd party seller on Amazon. If they dick me over Amazon will give me my money back.
    If it was OnSale, you are the reason my brother didn't get one.
  • Hmmm.. It let me order somehow...after saying it was sold out. I bet I don't get it.
  • Have at it, you vultures.
    Yea, they changed the name of it! I picked up two :-p
  • I'm incredibly tempted to buy one of these because of my love of insanely cheap things, but I just don't know why I want a tablet. What is a college freshman even going to do with a Touchpad?
  • I'm incredibly tempted to buy one of these because of my love of insanely cheap things, but I just don't know why I want a tablet. What is a college freshman even going to do with a Touchpad?
    If you're talking about tablets like the iPad, and not tablets like Wacom, then I only see a few uses for them these days.

1) You don't have any computer, and you aren't a heavy computer user. For example, a grandma could do all her computing on an tablet. It would be much easier for them, and do more than they would ever do.
    2) You don't have any laptop whatsoever, and don't plan on getting one. You don't need to do actual computing when you're on the move. You just want to casually browse the web or whatever from airports or Starbucks. Maybe you also don't have a smartphone.
    3) Even if you have a smartphone and a laptop, you have a ton of money. You want to be able to do some casual computing from the couch or bed while lying on your back. You could use your laptop or phone, but the tablet is more comfortable than the laptop and has a bigger screen than the phone. You are willing to pay extra money for that slight bit of extra comfort.
    4) You are a developer and you want to program something with a big touch-screen interface. Touch-screen monitors suck and often cost more than tablets which are also computers. Microsoft Surface takes up too much room. Maybe you want to program something to control your home automation or you Arduino project.
    5) You have a specialized task. Maybe you are a digital DJ, and it's easier to use a touch-screen with virtual knobs than a keyboard and mouse.
  • I'm incredibly tempted to buy one of these because of my love of insanely cheap things, but I just don't know why I want a tablet.
    This.

I still have a pretty decent, working Wacom tablet. Sure I can't see what I'm doing on the tablet itself, but I adjusted to that long ago. Plus: hover. I barely use my Wacom tablet. I have no idea what I would use a touch tablet (albeit a cheap one) for.