This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Steve Jobs Resigning

According to the Wall Street Journal Blog, Steve Jobs has just resigned as CEO of Apple.

With his previous health issues this probably isn't entirely unexpected, and it will be interesting to see in what ways a Job-less Apple will become more or less evil/successful/other adjective.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Maybe this is why Apple has all that money on hand, so when the stock drops like crazy tomorrow, they can buy it all back for cheap.
  • It's going to be like North Korea. The next CEO will maintain Steve's Cult of Personality and will have been groomed to toe the party line with nothing but fanatical zeal.

However, I maintain a kernel of hope that the CEO will declare "Gimme open source." When told that he can't get the source without signing a Steve Jobs Loyalty Oath, he will shout "GIVE EVERYONE OPEN SOURCE!" and the reign of terror will be at an end. However, this will not happen, because Apple is not Google. It's not good for business for a company where a CEO approves the placement of screwholes in a laptop case to decide that the proles can, y'know, meaningfully interact with the underlying aspects of their hardware and software.

I don't hate Apple, but I do really hope things change.
  • Karl says, "Apple, the only company bigger than Mobile Exxon, is now Jobless. Damn, this recession's worse than we thought."
  • Karl says, "Apple, the only company bigger than Mobile Exxon, is now Jobless. Damn, this recession's worse than we thought."
    And that, is why he is a comedian. Tell him thanks for the giggle.
  • My theory is that he's got only a few months to a year to live. There's no way that he can even semi-retire. He's not the kind of man who can do nothing.
  • My theory is that he's got only a few months to a year to live. There's no way that he can even semi-retire. He's not the kind of man who can do nothing.
    Maybe a few months per year to live. What do you *think* he's been researching all these years? The iPad? Dudes got a cryo in his basement, I've SEEN it.
  • edited August 2011
    The iBrain is the new Apple line. Steve Jobs is the first beta tester. They're digitalizing his entire consciousness tomorrow night and installing it in an ASIMO body, painted jet black and armed with a new sensor suite and a direct connection to the net via satellite.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • The iBrain is the new Apple line. Steve Jobs is the first beta tester. They're digitalizing his entire consciousness tomorrow night and installing it in an ASIMO body, painted jet black and armed with a new sensor suite and a direct connection to the net via satellite.
    If that were true, I'd switch to iBrain so fast...

For those of you who don't know, my goal is to live long enough for brain-in-a-box. After that it's just a waiting game until I can have a body like The Major.
  • Careful, dude. TOS says that all ideas you conceive of while using the iBrain are owned by Apple.

PS: My life goal is to work on brainbox technology. Brain-computer interfaces and all that.
  • dsfdsf
    edited August 2011
    Karl says, "Apple, the only company bigger than Mobile Exxon, is now Jobless. Damn, this recession's worse than we thought."
    hmph apple is shedding Jobs in this economy, what's next? :(

oh and the shit episode of south park just came on
    Post edited by dsf on
  • edited August 2011
    The iBrain is the new Apple line. Steve Jobs is the first beta tester. They're digitalizing his entire consciousness tomorrow night and installing it in an ASIMO body, painted jet black and armed with a new sensor suite and a direct connection to the net via satellite.
    If that were true, I'd switch to iBrain so fast...

For those of you who don't know, my goal is to live long enough for brain-in-a-box. After that it's just a waiting game until I can have a body like The Major.
    I know what Major you meant, but for a second I thought "Who would want to be a fat crazy German cyborg?"
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • I want to be one of those little box-brains with the single manipulator arm and the tiny legs. I'd wear a bowler hat and communicate with sinister, low-frequency beeps.
  • I'd straight get a Dalek body.
  • PS: My life goal is to work on brainbox technology. Brain-computer interfaces and all that.
    If you ever need a volunteer for human trials, you know where to find me.
  • I want a body that's two bodies. Then I can high-five myself.
  • I say the sudden retirement has more to do with the state of the company. Obviously him stepping down is better than him dying/being incapacitated while in office, and given how strong the company is at the moment, it was really the perfect time to step down with minimal damage. I also think this change involved a lot less rearranging than we estimate. Tim Cook was already in charge of day-to-day operations while Jobs laid in his cryo tank. I'm sure the only thing that has really changed are the titles.