This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070626 - Gaming Season

RymRym
edited June 2007 in Video Games
Tonight on GeekNights, we talk about why we're not playing any videogames. In the news, Take Two takes a stand, and you're going to buy Carcassonne.
Scott's Thing - Mispronounced Videogames

Rym's Thing - Punk Kids vs. Police

Comments

• edited June 2007
    w00t. Show's out early today!

[Edit] That cop arresting those kids only happened the other day. It's not too late to call and complain to the police department.

The number is (501) 321-6789
    The officer's name is Joey Williams.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • The air conditioner was not audible at all, feel free to run it to your heart's content during recording sessions.
  • Can't wait to listen. That's a crazy ass copper, I'd say. Also, I can't fuckin' wait for Carcassonne tomorrow!
  • The air conditioner was NOT that bad and I always listen to you guys at work.
  • Manhunt 2 is not coming out for Playstation 3.

It is being released for the Wii, PS2, and PSP.
  • Manhunt 2 is not coming out for Playstation 3.

It is being released for the Wii, PS2, and PSP.
    Wow, PS2 games still coming out. That tells you something.
  • Yeah contrary to popular belief the PS2 was a damn good console with a lot of really solid games.
  • edited June 2007
    My only beef with Carcassonne is that players who memorize the tiles have a big advantage. I don't play it nearly enough, nor do I have the inclination to memorize the tiles, which means that I'm always at a disadvantage to the Carcassonne nerds.

I wonder which rule they will adopt for the farmer scoring?
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • My only beef with Carcassonne is that players who memorize the tiles have a big advantage. I don't play it nearly enough, nor do I have the inclination to memorize the tiles, which means that I'm always at a disadvantage to the Carcassonne nerds.
    Memorize the tiles? I don't see how memorizing the tiles gives a big advantage. I mean, I know generally which kinds of tiles exist in the game. I know that some tiles, like straight roads, are common, while other tiles, like half city half curvy road, are rare. Perfectly memorizing how many of each tile is in the deck does not help you very much. If it's really a problem for you, just make a cheat-sheet for playing on XBL.
    I wonder which rule they will adopt for the farmer scoring?
    There is only one rule for farmer scoring. If you think there are two rules, one of them is wrong.
  • Speaking of Skateboarders...Just last week I witnessed a massive skateboarding flash mob. Apparently it was "Go Skate Day" in Minneapolis based on what I've seen on the net. I was standing around waiting for my bus when suddenly hundreds of people went by on skateboards. Enough people to stop traffic for an entire cycle of the stoplight (so roughly 2 minutes).
  • edited June 2007
    I hate that there are no new games coming out, but I kinda like having the time to play through RE4.
    Post edited by Railith on
  • On thing, if a game is unlicensed then it won't run on the console. The way things work now is that once your game is licensed by Sony or Nintendo or MS, they will then give you the necessary data/codes that will enable your game to run on their systems. If your game was unlicensed and is able to run on a console then that means that you have effectively hacked the console.
  • edited June 2007
    I fine this picture really funny. The NC-17 rating in movies and the numbers/letters on the hull of the Starship Enterprise. They're almost the same thing. null
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I CHALLENGE YOU RYM!! (or scott) who ever said it

POH POH LOH CRUAH (rolling the r like the French do)

ois in French is uah like Francois, fran suah, Bonsoir Bon suah.. etc.

That's my second choice, but I don't think it's French.
  • ah... but French sounds way cooler than the other one
  • I loved FF: Tactics Advance!
  • edited June 2007
    STUPID TRIVIA!
    On the PC box art of Deus Ex, the inside flap of the pre-GotY edition has a dictionary-style definition of "Deus Ex Machina" printed inside, to some exent.
    That's just awesome. If anyone are saying the name wrong, yet own the game; they are stupid.
    Post edited by omegafinal on
  • I loved FF: Tactics Advance!
  • I'm just going to be a bit a Latin asshole here but Deus Ex Machina does not translate to a god from a machine but a god outside a machine.
  • That's odd . . . I could have sworn I posted this just a minute ago. I hope it isn't in the wrong thread . . .

Anyway, have you guys tried Rayman and Excite Truck for the Wii?

That's my second choice, but I don't think it's French.
    I was actually thinking [Poh-Poh- La - k-wah]

French Canadian "Roi" or "Roy" is always "WAH" - who knows about those real French though.
  • Rayman is a great collection of mini-games on the Wii.

I also find Excite Truck to be fun but exasperating. It gets real annoying once you enter Super Excite mode and you keep missing the S rank by one or two stars for a given track.
  • edited June 2007
    Memorize the tiles? I don't see how memorizing the tiles gives a big advantage.
    It definitely gives you an advantage. If you know how many tiles of a certain type exist, and know how many have been played, you know that certain cities can never be completed. That's a big advantage over the ignorant guy who keeps adding tiles to a city he can never complete, whereas he could have started a new city with those tiles. This is just one example.
    There is only one rule for farmer scoring. If you think there are two rules, one of them is wrong.
    Wrong. Just plain wrong. There have been three versions of rules for scoring farmers. The Rio Grande version actually uses the oldest set of rules.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • I saw this article today that positively makes Albion's classification process look enlightened. Apparently Australia banned (i.e. didn't classify) 15-20 games since 2000, although it doesn't say how many were overturned on appeal/modification.
  • Wrong. Just plain wrong. There have beenthree versionsof rules for scoring farmers. The Rio Grande version actually uses the oldest set of rules.
    These rules are not in the instruction manual. They are not in any official errata. These rules only exist in newer editions of the game printed in Germany. You can play with them if you want, but that's not enough to count as an official rule change in my book.
  • These rules only exist in newer editions of the game printed in Germany.
    I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to the X-Box. Can't you wind up playing people in Germany, or does it not allow that?

As an aside, Rio Grande's farmer scoring rules have often been criticized as being craptacular, although I've never had a problem with them.
  • It all depends on global servers, which I assume it has. I play Uno frequently with a Japanese fellow.

After playing many rounds of Carcassonne on Live, I can only see ONE way to score with farmers... You can score multiple times, but definitely not in more than one way...
  • I'm just going to be a bit a Latin asshole here but Deus Ex Machina does not translate to a god from a machine but a god outside a machine.
    Wrong. You could not be more wrong. 'Deus ex machina' isn't even idiomatic. 'ex' literally means 'from'.
  • It occurs to me that R&S play on three platforms: Wii, DS & computer. So if it's not gaming season on those platforms, that's it. However, there are many other platforms available with great games out. For example, I just bought Overlord for the 360 and it's the best game I've played in ages. If R&S had more platforms, they'd still be playing video games.