This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX Prime 2011

Comments

• Fuck yeah PAX. I am having the best time meeting more peeps from the forum. Timo is awesome. More people from the forums need to go to PAX.
    Please Timo, upload the awesome picture you took of the GoG booth babes today.
  • I'll put it up in the beluga pod.
  • FYI, be prepared to hear Scott and his ego get even bigger.
    Awesome.
    Has it reached critical mass?
    Has it reached critical mass?
    Bigger Ego is Better Ego.
  • Also I keep refreshing the PAX forums looking for cool news of happenings since I'm not there... need more infos. MUST KNOW FINAL OMEGATHON CHALLENGE!!! (if somebody would be so kind, in like 5 hours, when it happens.)
    Impossible.
  • Also I keep refreshing the PAX forums looking for cool news of happenings since I'm not there... need more infos. MUST KNOW FINAL OMEGATHON CHALLENGE!!! (if somebody would be so kind, in like 5 hours, when it happens.)
    You should be looking at Twitter #PAX and not the forums for that kind of info.

And yes, Scott's ego has gotten larger. If anything you can say that certain events solidified it.
  • So either it's really Rock'em Sock'em Robots for the final, or he went on some stupid winning streak in Outlaw from that panel they were doing. Those are my guesses.
  • Did he do the Omegathon?
  • It hasn't started yet. PAX isn't over.

Also I have have photo evidence that Pinkie Pie totally dominates Rainbow Dash. Pic to come later.
  • edited August 2011
    And yes, Scott's ego has gotten larger.
    Oh, how LOVELY.

I'm wondering what events caused this solidification of ego, though.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • I will gladly take any League of Legends skin codes if you do not want them.
  • cosplay win. I mean, the guy was handing out literature!
  • cosplay win. I mean, the guy was handing out literature!
    Oh man, I know that guy! I met him at PAX2010; We hung out a bit.
  • Oh man that Omegathon is sad. Two guys who don't know Zelda inside and out... how does that happen?
  • edited August 2011
    I'm wondering what events caused this solidification of ego, though.
    You'll find out soon enough. It's partially my fault. So I apologize in advance.

Anyhoo PAX was wonderful as always. As much as I enjoy being an Enforcer I get a bit bummed I can't have more time to spend at the convention or hanging out with friends which is why Jeremy and I will definitely NOT be Enforcers at East and perhaps next Prime.

Oh and here is why Pinkie Pie is better than Rainbow Dash:

Edit: Oh yeah and Timo. Seriously. Timo is the motherfucking man.

4π

That's all I have to say.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Ro, I went and looked up that Black Market card in Dominion after you were telling me about the finals yesterday. Turns out it's a promo card and yes, it is craaaaaaazy: product link
  • Crossfire.
  • Freddie Wong is the king of YouTube. Any video with him is a thumbs up from me.
  • Ro, I went and looked up that Black Market card in Dominion after you were telling me about the finals yesterday. Turns out it's a promo card and yes, it is craaaaaaazy: product link
    Yeah that Promo card has been out for a while.

But I was referring to the Black Market/Tactician combo:
    If you play a tactician, you normally cannot use the money from the hand for the buy phase, because your hand is empty from the tacticians forced discard.

However, with black market, you get a buy phase pseudo partial buy like event (see Jeff's comment) during your action phase, where you can play money to the table and unspent money is available for the end turn buy phase. This happens even if you don't purchase from the black market.

Hence, on a turn where you start with a tactician, you can play a black market and another tactician, and still have a lucrative, plain money based buy, while totally ignoring black market's primary power.
    That was the surprise thing the Enforcer Tourney guys put in for the final round of the Dominion Challenge league. Hopefully the finalists saw this and used it accordingly.
  • Ha! I knew it. 'Gratz, dude.
  • edited August 2011
    What did you get it for, and what's your # (on the medal)? I know there's a few different ways to get one and they have different numbers.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • edited August 2011
    I actually only won a Tsuro tournament. Ro messaged us early on Sunday that there was a tournament with only three entries. Since Tsuro handles 7 players at once, and I knew the game already, it would be a much lower time investment than other tournaments. Everyone who played was awesome. Of course, after three rounds with slightly different rules, it was me vs. Rym in a perfect tie. I won the tie breaker handily and dispensed much exaggerated gloating to annoy others.

It's medal #54.

Apparently there was some guy who won Small World, Revolution, and a couple other tournaments who was some kind of gaming god. I really want to play against him.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Oh Schnapps! Well done.
  • Thanks everyone for a brilliant PAX! It was AWESOME hanging out with you. My proudest moment: winning at Banagramms.
  • This was definitely my favorite PAX to date. Finally got the right balance between panels, expo hall, and just hanging out and playing games with people. For once I didn't feel like I was being rushed or felt like I had to do something. I just did what I wanted. It's also nice knowing so many people now because if one group is in a game already or are doing something that I don't want to do, there are others I can hang out with.

Still didn't get a chance to hang out with Ro, but it was awesome meeting Timo and partaking in his... unique... Finnish treats. Hopefully I'll make it to East next spring and hang out with the forum crew more.
  • @Ro: OK now I truly understand the fucked-up-edness going on there. Pretty awesome if someone was smart enough to figure it out and own the others.
    This was definitely my favorite PAX to date. Finally got the right balance between panels, expo hall, and just hanging out and playing games with people. For once I didn't feel like I was being rushed or felt like I had to do something. I just did what I wanted. It's also nice knowing so many people now because if one group is in a game already or are doing something that I don't want to do, there are others I can hang out with.
    I had the exact same PAX. Nothing can take away the wonderment of seeing each PAX for the first time. I had been to three PAXes at three different venues, yet each time it seemed that some wet blanket or two showed up with me and tried to drag it down by not enjoying PAX to its fullest, and expecting me to pal around with them. This was my fourth PAX and by far the best. I was a free agent. I came alone and got to split equal time with three groups of friends: yourselves, the GeekDad writers, and the west coast crew of the now defunct MDP website I started out writing for.

Thanks to you guys for being one part of its awesomeness. I second knoxinator, and nominate Timo for MVP of PAX. His canned reindeer meat on cheeze-its gave me the fuel I needed to rack up big points in Agricola.
    Apparently there was some guy who won Small World, Revolution, and a couple other tournaments who was some kind of gaming god. I really want to play against him.
    I'll reshare my story here for those who didn't hear it in the Sheraton lobby. I placed first and second in my qualifier rounds in the Small World tournament and made it to the final table tied for second place. This man was sitting across from me. He got the first turn and paid up the stack to take Trolls instead of taking free Ghouls on turn one. That, coupled with the fact that he kept rambling on about stories that nobody could care less about, meant that I pegged him for an idiot, and ignored him in favor of targeting what I thought would be my prime competition. I took the Ghouls, and just like I thought, pulled off a 15-point third turn. Afterwards I casually asked him what he had on his lanyard poking out from behind his badge, and it turned out to be the first place Power Grid medal. I knew then that he was not an idiot, but a ringer. The hammer came down on me so hard on turn 4 and I never recovered.