This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Redline

edited August 2011 in Anime
I saw Redline yesterday and since some jaded people in this forum won't watch something they don't know unless people are making buzz for it, or declare things that they haven't seen as bad and/or overhyped based on the fact that people they don't know make buzz for it, I thought I should make this thread. Also, this film simply deserves its own thread. Unfortunately, you can't really get it right now because for some odd reason the publishers are really fucking lazy about getting it out, despite it being such a great movie. It was originally finished in 2009 after 6-7 years of development. Perhaps it doesn't have the appeal for the japanese audience since it is rather western. While it is licensed in the U.S., even the japanese market only recently got a release on boo-ray and still nothing in sight in either the U.S. or europe for that matter.

However, the development time that it had really shows. Absolutely gorgeous animation. But perhaps I should say what this film is about: Racing crazy cars against aliens in even more insane vehicles on absolutely demented planets, which governments want to kill you. That's it. Not that deep, but the characters are well made and are being fleshed out during the film. The story isn't fantastic, but it serves the purpose and you won't really notice anyway since the animation alone should leave you speechless throughout the entire film.

AWO has a review of it, so if you don't want to take my word for it, take theirs.

j9fhQVMzlC0

Comments

• Needs more Wakamoto being exploded by a punch, together with the rest of the universe and the punchee.
  • Have had it on my computer for a little while now, haven't watched yet. Probably will soon.
  • Saw it in the cinema with a good sound system. Sooo goooodd.
  • It was really enjoyable... but the ending was way too abrupt.
  • I am still waiting for the blu ray/dvd, I want to support this one.
  • I am still waiting for the blu ray/dvd, I want to support this one.
    I'm going to support it when it was released, but I freaking want to see it now.
  • It was really enjoyable... but the ending was way too abrupt.
    True, it does kinda just end right there. But god damn, what a ride.

Funky Boy!
  • I'm going to support it when it was released, but I freaking want to see it now.
  • If anything I love de design, it makes me remember of the "Battle Angle Alita: Last Order" design but more stylized.
    That guy giving the flipping the bird is awesome :P
  • *sigh* Alright. I guess I better watch it...
  • If anything I love de design, it makes me remember of the "Battle Angle Alita: Last Order" design but more stylized.
    That guy giving the flipping the bird is awesome :P
    Not nearly enough octopus lips.
    I really want to see this in a theater but have little hope of it coming anywhere near me. I could stand seeing on a TV but I think it's the sort of visual feast that deserves a full theater screen.
  • Just saw it and I'm going to purchase this on release. Not deep as stated above but so well done.
  • Watched it again for the first time tonight after watching a lot of Takeshi Koike's older stuff. It's even better when you don't fall asleep 2/3 into it!
  • Holy fucking shit. Redline is a movie where you think it can't possibly get better and the movie just punches you in the face and yells "YOU HAVEN'T SEEN ANYTHING YET, PUSSY!" and gets infinitely better and 50000000000% more badass.
  • Awesome, awesome movie.
  • Car people: What is the average injection dosage for automotive nitrous systems? I want to design one that uses whipped cream chargers so I can Redline IRL.
  • A five wheeled car would be pretty awesome.
  • This movie looks like Hokuto no Tenga Toppa Initial D. Is that about right?
  • edited September 2011
    I've had the bluray of Redline sitting on my hard drive for over a week now and I haven't gotten around to watching it yet. I need to watch the last part of Roberta's Blood Trail first.

Also: Manyuu Haikenchou.
    Post edited by Gold Experience on
  • Car people: What is the average injection dosage for automotive nitrous systems? I want to design one that uses whipped cream chargers so I can Redline IRL.
    The ratio to fuel should be about 9.6:1 - the actual amount would vary, but you'd need a fuckin' lot of chargers.
    The ratio to fuel should be about 9.6:1 - the actual amount would vary, but you'd need a fuckin' lot of chargers.
    Hmmmm. What other fuel additives could I use...
  • You also need to get working on the hairstyle right now.
  • That ain't no thang. My hair turns into a righteous mane after a few months. I can rock that galactic pompadour fo sho.
  • This movie looks like Hokuto no Tenga Toppa Initial D. Is that about right?
    I... guess?
  • edited September 2011
    So besides Sweet JP's Transam 20000, the Boincar is the best car in the movie. Lynchcar is number 3.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • edited September 2011
    Cool Redline stuff on this japanese website, including models of all the cars.

Really liked the Semimaru driven by Miki and Todoroki, Motherfuckers!
    GUMPTION! GUMPTION! GUMPTION!
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • edited September 2011
    Torrenting this now so I can watch it tomorrow/tonight.

I hope Dave and Joel cover this shit.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Started torrenting this two days ago so I can watch it Monday/Sunday.
  • Started torrenting this two days ago so I can watch it Monday/Sunday.
  • I ain't even mad.