This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fuck you George Lucas. Again. Again.

Comments

• It's the principle of the thing.
  • Churba won.
  • Churba won.
    As is usual and proper.
  • It's the principle of the thing.
    Well, also, it's that he's going through a lot of effort to remove the originals from circulation. It's not just that he's changing his work - that's fine, he can do that - it's that his methods also prevent us from accessing different versions of the work.
  • They released the DVD version of the Original Theatrical Edition a while back, and Netflix had it. However, after a short time, the DVDs were discontinued and (if memory serves) pulled from the Netflix catalog.
  • Well, also, it's that he's going through a lot of effort to remove the originals from circulation. It's not just that he's changing his work - that's fine, he can do that - it's that his methods also prevent us from accessing different versions of the work.
    Good point. At least we have fairly easy access to all the versions of Blade Runner, right?

I honestly don't recall, and I will admit that I have YET to watch that movie.
  • edited August 2011
    Well, also, it's that he's going through a lot of effort to remove the originals from circulation. It's not just that he's changing his work - that's fine, he can do that - it's that his methods also prevent us from accessing different versions of the work.
    This is indeed a foolish mistake for multiple reasons - From a sheer business point of view, selling BOTH versions would make far more money, and Of course, it's out there in the hands of people with the ability to make copies. If he tried from Now till the end of his life and did nothing else, he still wouldn't succeed in doing so. However, that folly does not erase anything else he's done, it just means that he's wasting time on a foolish endeavor, along with everything else he's doing or has done.
    Good point. At least we have fairly easy access to all the versions of Blade Runner, right?
    I'm actually cautiously optimistic about the remake. After all, it's not like they're just tossing it over to some random popular director to do what they wish, it's Ridley Scott, and so far, he's the only guy with a record of making a good Blade Runner movie.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • The one annoying issue with the DVDs that have the original versions is that they are non anamorphic, so you have a 4:3 image with the widescreen inside that.
  • Compare Star Wars to Blade Runner. Both films have a zillion different versions. The difference is that you can easily get any version of Blade Runner you want.
  • When you have more money than anyone needs to live on, what else can you get excitement from? Control. Power.
  • When you have more money than anyone needs to live on, what else can you get excitement from? Control. Power.
    Buy a sports team.
    Buy a sports team.
    I'd go for a small country/island.
    Buy a sports team.
    I would absolutely love to see George Lucas buy himself a sports team.
  • Everybody please watch this.

• When George Lucas dies, they'll be making Star Wars films EVERY YEAR.
  • If we can somehow convince people to let go of their childhoods and stop giving George Lucas and Sega money, the world will be a better place.
    Shut the fuck up. Just shut the fuck up.
    If they could get a decent director, I mean enough of the current crop of up and coming directors grew up with Star Wars and could do a good job with it.
  • I love the idea of having two Chewbaccas. *wink wink nudge nudge*
    If they could get a decent director, I mean enough of the current crop of up and coming directors grew up with Star Wars and could do a good job with it.
    "Return of the Jedi: A Christopher Nolan Film." "Joss Whedon presents: The Empire Strikes Back."
  • How's that song go again...oh yeah.

• Lucas agrees with us on the Han Shot First thing, you know. He was even wearing the shirt on the set of Revenge of the Sith. He had the change it because the MPAA would have bumped the movie's rating up if it were rereleased with Han shooting first.
  • Lucas agrees with us on the Han Shot First thing, you know. He was even wearing the shirt on the set of Revenge of the Sith. He had the change it because the MPAA would have bumped the movie's rating up if it were rereleased with Han shooting first.
    If this is true, he should be making a much bigger stink about the bullshit contained in that statement. He could really turn the nerds on the MPAA and get his way. If he fails to act, he doesn't really care and is just blowing smoke in an attempt to save face.
  • So the rating would change to PG-13 for Han to be a badass? DO IT!
    That's a complete bullshit excuse. He can easily release separate versions one which is PG and one which is PG-13. Also, who even pays attention to the rating of Star Wars? There isn't anyone who is going to change their mind about when to watch it, or who should watch it, based on the rating.
  • You're wrong Scott.
  • You're wrong Scott.
  • You're wrong Scott.
    I see you're new around these parts...
  • Plenty of movies have two versions. Heck, plenty of movies have PG-13/R versions and Unrated versions on separate DVDs.