This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Doubt

edited August 2011 in Manga/Comics
Once upon a time there was a wolf. The wolf disguised himself and hid in a group of rabbits. When the rabbits were all asleep, the wolf ate one of them. And another the next day. The panicked rabbits, unable to discern who the wolf was, decided to kill the one among them that most thought was the wolf. But then another died, and the rabbits were left to decide again...

A cell phone game called Rabbit Doubt is becoming quite popular in Japan. Five players of it who play with each other a lot decide to meet offline and go to karaoke, and a friend of one of them tags along. But as they are in a karaoke box, they are gassed, and awake again later in a run-down building and one of them has been nailed to a wall. Rabbit Doubt begins.

I picked up the first volume of Doubt on monday. I saw the manga on the shelves for a while, and it kept bothering me, though I didn't really investigate further into it. The thing that bothered me was the cover, because of the creepy rabbit masks that reminded me of Donnie Darko. I finally thought "ah, what the hell" and rung it up. The manga is really quite well made and has quite the number of twists in it. So today (wednesday) I went out to buy the other four volumes of this relatively short series and read them immediately. It threw me for a loop quite a time and that is a good thing for a thriller. It is usually classified as a Horror manga though. It's not licensed in the U.S. unfortunately, but you can read it here.

There is also another manga by the same author called Judge which started in January of 2010, available here. As far as I've read it has a very similar direction and style, also featuring creepy animal masks, though with a different plot device.

Comments

• Sounds pretty-much like Werewolves of Miller's Hollow (and all the other games of the same nature).
  • edited August 2011
    It quite is like that, indeed. Except with actual murder this time.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I thought this thread was about the other Doubt manga. I saw this one around, but I didn't pick it up. Maybe I will now. Sounds so up my alley!
  • I thought this thread was about the other Doubt manga. I saw this one around, but I didn't pick it up. Maybe I will now. Sounds so up my alley!
    Seems like yet another trashy teen romance manga. Not that I'm above reading those sorts of things. Is it any good?
    Seems like yet another trashy teen romance manga. Not that I'm above reading those sorts of things. Is it any good?
    Only the first book. It goes downhill pretty fast.