This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Dragoncon

edited August 2008 in Conventions
Anyone else going?

I think I'm only going to be going to attend the skeptic lectures, some of which are hosted by Phil Plait of Bad Astronomy and Dr. Steven Novella of Science Based Medicine and host of The Skeptics Guide to the Universe.

Schedule

Comments

• edited August 2008
    I would like to go to Dragoncon. Too bad it's too far out for my wallet. It's one of the non anime cons I really want to go to.

edit: After looking at the programming and guests and musical guest...I'M REALLY PISSED THAT I'M NOT GOING! ARGGH!
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Yes, I'll be going. Probably hanging out around a lot of the podcasting activities, although not the Parsecs (they have gotten too incestuous for my taste). I'm really looking forward to some of the sci/tech panels, and last year they had a rockin' copyright panel. But mostly, it's about the seeing people. Many of my friends that I only see at cons will be there.

It's going to be the last year I can make it for awhile, since I'm going to be starting law school next year, so I want to make it good!
  • although not the Parsecs (they have gotten too incestuous for my taste)
    There were pretty disorganized this year. I didn't even bother submitting the samples they asked for, as they needed them suddenly and without warning.
  • The Parsecs are a fine concept, but this is the third year, and the same podcasts have been nominated. I mean, do they REALLY feel the need to give the same podcasts the same awards year after year? And it's pretty much by the podcasting fiction community, to the podcasting fiction community. Very small community. I think there's enough f elating going on at the con without the Parsecs, personally.
  • I mean, do they REALLY feel the need to give the same podcasts the same awards year after year?
    The problem is that there are very few high-quality podcasts out there to begin with, and new ones, good OR bad, aren't exactly appearing at a high rate. Should they simply give the awards to the next-best show every year, eventually running out of worthwhile ones? ^_~
  • I mean, do they REALLY feel the need to give the same podcasts the same awards year after year?
    The problem is that there are very few high-quality podcasts out there to begin with, and new ones, good OR bad, aren't exactly appearing at a high rate. Should they simply give the awards to the next-best show every year, eventually running out of worthwhile ones? ^_~
    There's a reason that awards like the Grammy's and Oscar's get a lot more attention than the Emmy's. There are new movies and new songs every year to give awards to. Emmy awards will sometimes go to the same TV show year after year, as long as it stays on the air.

Also, the music industry forces people to produce music in album/song format. The TV networks force people to make shows in a limited number of formats. Podcasts, which are unregulated, come in so many different formats, it becomes very difficult to categorize them. You have limited series, unlimited series, one-time podcasts, podcasts that come out in audio and/or video, I could go on. Even just trying to categorize GeekNights, which is four separate shows, but also one show, is extremely difficult.

I do agree with what Nuri is saying about the Parsecs, they suck exactly for those reasons. However, I ask everyone here, if you were going to have podcast awards, how would you do them that wouldn't suck? Be very specific, because I'm going to rip your idea apart.
  • edited August 2008
    if you were going to have podcast awards, how would you do them that wouldn't suck.
    I would make 6 awards, give 1 to Geeknights, give 1 to Fast Karate, give 1 to AWO, and throw the last 3 away since all of the other podcasts suck. Maybe I would give a small one to Arron's Weekly Anime Review, since that got me into podcasting.
    I bet I could even get 10 people to listen to me presenting these awards... and since I would make it a live show, that’s 10 more live listeners then Geek nights has. Therefore I have a better show. Thats how it works right? (sorry to bring this up again, but I was lurking through old threads and found this one. If you don't remember the refrence, your lucky.)
    Post edited by Mosquitoboy on
  • If you don't see the Protomen while you are there, you are doing yourself a disservice.
  • If you don't see the Protomen while you are there, you are doing yourself a disservice.
    I tried them recently. Kinda meh. Now MSI is gonna be there. Their shows are so awesome!
  • Hey Nuri! I'm going to be there too! Yay! I'm going mostly for the Torchwood stuffs.
    I tried them recently. Kinda meh. Now MSI is gonna be there. Their shows are so awesome!
    Interesting to hear you don't like The Protomen, seems most geeks I know do. MSI puts on one hell of a show though, I've been to 4 in my lifetime and look forward to seeing more. That shit doesn't get old.
    Interesting to hear you don't like The Protomen, seems most geeks I know do. MSI puts on one hell of a show though, I've been to 4 in my lifetime and look forward to seeing more. That shit doesn't get old.
    I know. Maybe it was a bad album or something. Oh well. MSI I am always up for. I went to their Baltimore show and it was awesome.
  • if you were going to have podcast awards, how would you do them that wouldn't suck?
    It's impossible: the pool is too shallow.
  • It's that time of year again. Anyone else heading out this weekend?
  • Someday. *sigh* Someday.
  • edited September 2011
    It's that time of year again. Anyone else heading out this weekend?
    Anyone going, I recommend you see Richard Saunders and Dr Rachie. You might be able to score some minties and musk Sticks off them, too. Skepticism, Scams and consumerism, Origami with Richard Saunders, Mystery investigators, Skeptic Zone live for him, the latter I really recommend. If you get a chance to ask questions at the last one, know that I will cheer for you, if I know who you are, some sort of identifying shout out will be helpful. Trust the fuckhead.

Also, Bizarre Magic! w/Brian Brushwood, fictional Writing and Skepticism, and everything in the Armory will be great.

Andrew. ANDREW. I'm relying on you here, man, you gotta tell me about that armory, dude.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Andrew. ANDREW. I'm relying on you here, man, you gotta tell me about that armory, dude.
  • Were you guys able to get the Game of Thrones costumes finished?
  • Were you guys able to get the Game of Thrones costumes finished?
    Lydia is finishing up hers right now. I'm not dressing up because I'm a loser :(
  • Lydia is finishing up hers right now. I'm not dressing up because I'm a loser :(
    WHAT!? LAME.

This is why Lyddi > Andrew. I want to see pics.
  • Best cosplay I saw (apart from Lyddi's of course)
  • Best cosplay I saw (apart from Lyddi's of course)
    Whoa. I thought it was actually them for a split second.

I see they have Donny as well.
  • So.. who are those guys supposed to be?
  • It's the dude, man.
  • Damn those are well done. Aria, go watch The Big Lebowski. Nowish.
  • edited September 2011
    Edit: I realized it wasn't. I'll try and find that. It's a movie?
    Post edited by Aria on
  • There are people who would take offense at you calling it a movie.
  • I'm pretty sure that Dragon*Con is the best con in terms of Cosplay.
  • I'm pretty sure that Dragon*Con is the best con in terms of Cosplay.
    >Three Amigos cosplay
    SOLD, MY GOOD MAN.