This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

We had the coolest (and darkest) storm this morning

Around 9:00am this morning the sky went totally black and all the street lights came back on and all the cars had the their headlights on...it was as dark as midnight. This was followed by some major thunder and lightning. I had to run home from work just before the rain started and get a screw-driver I needed and the house was in total darkness except for some LEDs etc. It didn't last long, but in the 25+ years I've been here (Nova Scotia) I don't remember the sky getting that dark prior to a storm. It felt like it should be followed by some kind of alien invasion...but sadly no.

It was neat and I just thought I'd share. Wish I had've taken a photo.

Comments

• Last week we had a bad storm here, flash flooding and tornadoes and whatnot. The wild thing was the colors the sunlight changed. I mean, not just the color of the sky but the actual ambient light. It went from green to purple and even orange. I've never seen it go orange, and rarely see them all in one storm. It was disco-surreal. Green seems to mean a tornado is near, every time I see it there's the tornadoes.
  • edited June 2007

I <3 Thunderstorms.</p>

Ditto. For the past 4 years, because I was working as a lifeguard, thunderstorms == get out of work early. Now it has just become habit that I get happy when thunderstorms roll through, much like Pavlov's dog I suppose...
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Yeah, there was a crazy storm here last night. But the sky didn't change colors so it wasn't as cool as your guys storms.
  • We've been having them all week now...but I suppose today was the climax.
  • So what is the coolest thing that has happened to you guys during a thunderstorm?

1) Standing in the square before Notre Dame (Paris) and lightning striking in the block adjoining the square and ALL the trees in the square erupting with gajillions of doves scared by the noise.

2) The lightning striking our faculty building and inducing a large current into our thinwire ethernet cable which cicled the entire floor and basically frying all the network cards and some mother boards.
  • I've seen a pool get struck by lightning. It turns all sorts of crazy colors and there is a shit load of steam afterwards.
  • So what is the coolest thing that has happened to you guys during a thunderstorm?
    Walking a pace ahead of a sheer curtain of water that slowly advanced down the street; the front was perfectly linear (lineer if you're from Michigan) and plumb with the ground.
  • Walking a pace ahead of a sheer curtain of water that slowly advanced down the street; the front was perfectly linear (lineer if you're from Michigan) and plumb with the ground.

Yeah, we do tend to use lineer. lol!
  • edited June 2007
    So what is the coolest thing that has happened to you guys during a thunderstorm?
    I don't think the coolest thing that happened to me in a thunderstorm would be the same as the coolest thing that happened to me as a direct result of a thunderstorm . . . neither would be post-able. ;op
    Post edited by cosmicenema on
  • According to my Mom when I was younger lightning came in our open front door and circled around my feet and went back out. I think she imagined it.
  • Were you wearing rubber boots?
  • Yep, I was out playing in the rain just before the lightning started and I was coming into the porch, that's why the door was still open. I remember it...I just wasn't looking at my feet when it happened.