This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Quick play and casual games

edited September 2011 in Board Games
Jungle Speed and Spot It were a HUGE hit at my latest gathering.

What other games can you recommend that are similar and as much fun?

Amazon + Google suggest:

Perpetual Commotion
Coloretto
Bohnanza
No Thanks
Billionaire
Fluxx
Gullotine
For Sale
Dutch Blitz

And I have also played Citadels but I *almost* consider that a "proper" game. A good game, but not quite in the same frantic nature of JS and Spot It.

Can anyone add to the above list, or maybe recommend AGAINST one of the above games?

Also, if you have any house rules (Double Bomb Spot It!!!) that really enhances the game, please share :)

Comments

• "We didn't playtest this at all" is a good break out game.
  • I'm betting you could get people into Dixit. It takes a little more mental effort sometimes, but it's a lot of fun.
  • I really enjoyed the small amount of Fluxx I played at the first Pax East, and it is super quick.
  • "We didn't Playtest" looks like it could be fun for a while, some of the card images on BGG are pretty funny...

Dixit and Fluxx look good.
  • There are many versions of Fluxx. I have played the Zombie and Monty Python one. They are all decent, but I'm honestly played out of that game.

Bohnanza is the win. Nothing like haggling, shit talking, making enemies, making deals, and just downright doing what you can for a bean trade.

Definitely recommend Guillotine as well.

I also recommend Marrakech, but that is only a 2-4 player game.
  • Bananagrams.

Also maybe look into the Looney Labs Pyramids system? They are relaunching the casual games Ice Dice and Treehouse, but they use generic pieces that can be used to play something like a hundred other possible games.
  • edited September 2011
    Dixit is good. Also Poo and Nuts, if you are feeling a little goofy. Best handled with a little drinking.
    Post edited by Saedar on
  • S'quarrels is a fun game too. It came out in the spot light around the same time as Poo. It's by a different guy. I met him at PAX Prime 2010. I like the game better than Nuts. Nuts seems to be too similar to Poo.
  • I just bought Zombie Dice the other day. It's basically a variant on 10,000 but its REALLY easy to teach people and I took it to a party and people seemed to love it.
  • I just bought Zombie Dice the other day. It's basically a variant on 10,000 but its REALLY easy to teach people and I took it to a party and people seemed to love it.
    I like Zombie Dice too. It's good for gathering up random strangers when you're all waiting in a line together. I tried out Cthulu Dice that way too, but it wasn't as good (arguably, it's not really as good a game in general).

• That's good to know because I was considering trying it out but I was on the fence about it
  • Cthulhu Dice = Poop
    Zombie Dice = Good
    Martian Dice = Awesome
  • Just looked up Martian Dice and that seems pretty sweet, also discovered this Bears dice game but I'm not really sure how you play.
  • We Didn't Playtest This got my friends into trying other games. The less geek inclined friends of mine love Dix it.
  • Cthulhu Dice = Poop
    Zombie Dice = Good
    Martian Dice = Awesome
    I'm a fan of human dice, but Martian dice does sound way better
  • I have a theory that if we could get urban youth to play Martian Dice instead of shooting dice, we could significantly cut down on violent crime as a result of disagreements that arise from gambling.
  • I've got zombie dice waiting for a time to bust it out. Probably post exams me thinks.
  • I've got zombie dice waiting for a time to bust it out. Probably post exams me thinks.
    I know that feel. Friday night is Bananagrams+Whiskey+Hobo With A Shotgun night.
  • "We Didn't Playtest This At All" is also a fun game to teach random people. It pretty much how I learn about the people in my classes.
  • "Gimme 6" is a lot of fun.
  • Oh sweet, this thread is back. Anyone tried Wits and Wagers? I hear that's quite fun.
  • Bananagrams has taken my friends by storm they can not get enough of that shit. ZD however will be a tricky beast to unleash upon them.
  • Most gaming geeks don't give this one a chance because the word Monopoly is their kryptonite, but Monopoly Deal is actually an excellent quick-play/casual card game.
  • Bananagrams has taken my friends by storm they can not get enough of that shit. ZD however will be a tricky beast to unleash upon them.
    If they're not really game people then it might be easier. I feel like the gambling mechanic appeals to people more than most other game mechanics.
  • I just got and played the jungle speed expansion last night. It is unplayable with fewer than six people. There are just too many cards and too few matches. I'm thinking we are going to start playing by removing an entire family of shapes if we are playing with a small number. In terms of awesomeness though, it add so much more rage to the game. I just can't hold so many shapes in my head at once.
  • I give all the cards names like: squiggly pointy, pointy pointy, all over, over under, etc.
  • Most gaming geeks don't give this one a chance because the word Monopoly is their kryptonite, but Monopoly Deal is actually an excellent quick-play/casual card game.
    In the vein of Monopoly games that are actually good, Monopoly Board Walk incorporates a bunch of Euro-gaming resource management mechanics, if you can find a copy. Also, Triopoly isn't good, but it is enough of a novelty that you should give it a try if you see it at a con or something.
  • In the vein of Monopoly games that are actually good, Monopoly Board Walk incorporates a bunch of Euro-gaming resource management mechanics, if you can find a copy. Also, Triopoly isn't good, but it is enough of a novelty that you should give it a try if you see it at a con or something.
    Oh god I'm laughing at this so hard. My friends all like jungle speed and spot it when I introduced them to the group, so after break lots of us brought back similar styles of games. My roommate's contributions were Tripoley and some domino based game.
  • edited January 2012
    I'm always surprised at how few 52 card games nerdy play, I can never get a game of hearts, spades, chinese poker or rummy out of anyone. They are super easy to learn and everyone knows how a deck of cards works
    Post edited by highdefinition on
  • 52 card games
    Yomi. Though I suppose that only sorta counts.