This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Burning Wheel?

Comments

• edited July 2011
    Recite a limerick about a leprechaun getting punched in the dick, and how all leprechauns are now deathly afraid of fists.
    There once was a leprechaun Nick.
    Who was being a bit of a prick.
    So I took all his gold, for he did quickly fold,
    When I hauled back and punched in his dick.
    Doesn't address all leprechauns being afraid of fists. Minus 10 points.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • Success. I managed to get preorder of Burning Wheel Gold.
  • Anybody get gold shipped yet?

Also on the subject, I think that while Burning Wheel can be great, one of the secret things that still draws me back to D&D is achieving that awesome game, awesome storytelling, awesome roleplaying, within the context of a system that intentially dictates some brick walls in your path. It's similar to the argument that playing in completely free-form role-playing game doesn't feel as rewarding as playing a fully fleshed out RPG with all the constraints and rules. Getting the perfect game out of a "bad" game seems potentially more rewarding I guess. So managing to make the magic happen in D&D, in some abstract theoretical sense, can be more rewarding.
  • Gold was waiting for me when I got back from Gen Con.
    Anybody get gold shipped yet?
    Getting the perfect game out of a "bad" game seems potentially more rewarding I guess. So managing to make the magic happen in D&D;, in some abstract theoretical sense, can be more rewarding.
    Different games do different things. D&D; is about killing things and taking their stuff. I don't have time to twist D&D; into playing out a different story.
  • Understandable. Different games have different strengths and weaknesses. D&D can be played beyond just the killing things and taking their stuff though. It's rare... exceedingly unlikely... but it happens.
  • edited September 2011
    D&D; can be played beyond just the killing things and taking their stuff though. It's rare... exceedingly unlikely... but it happens.
    I don't think it's rare at all. In fact, I'd even call it a vast misrepresentation of the game.

See, D&D; is built for stories like lord of the rings - bunch of guys get together, go on a big important quest, smaller stories & fights break out along the way, achieve main objective, everybody's a big damn hero in the end. The Critical hit podcast is a very good example.

Comparatively, Burning Wheel is better suited for stories like The prince of Nothing, where the balance is tipped more towards a thinking and talking your way though situations, with fighting being a less than preferable outcome in most cases, and when it's there, it's quick and brutal.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Having played with a few dozen groups, in various different parts of the US, I would say that "good" games are rare regardless of system. Get the right group of players together and awesome happens. Get the wrong group of players together and there's no one-true-game to fix your problems.
  • Having played with a few dozen groups, in various different parts of the US, I would say that "good" games are rare regardless of system. Get the right group of players together and awesome happens. Get the wrong group of players together and there's no one-true-game to fix your problems.
    Well, as you point out, that's not a fault of the system, just a fault of the players. I've seen plenty of bad games, too, but I've seen a pretty equal number of good games.
  • Well, as you point out, that's not a fault of the system, just a fault of the players. I've seen plenty of bad games, too, but I've seen a pretty equal number of good games.
    The good games aren't the fault of the system either (in the case of D&D;).
  • The good games aren't the fault of the system either (in the case of D&D;).
    I'm aware, and wasn't trying to imply as such - I should have been more clear, however - I should have put it as "I've had a different experience with gaming groups, though, I've seen plenty of bad games, but I've also seen about the same amount of good games."
  • The other part of that equation is that there's no "bad game" if everyone is having fun. I've sat down with a lot of players and groups that I have no desire to play more with, but if they all enjoy themselves that's fantastic. When I'm talking about "bad" games, I mean games I wouldn't want to play in, not inherently bad.
  • Get the right group of players together and awesome happens. Get the wrong group of players together and there's no one-true-game to fix your problems.
    I've been trying to criticise things that have been happening in a (non-BW) game that have kind of sucked for me. The group espouses this kind of attitude and the difficulty I have is that it makes every criticism inherently personal...

I'm planning a BW campaign with a different group. The concept is: The dwarves are pissed off about a College of Magic that has been built upon a forgotten dwarven sacred space. I sent a message around and the responses I've got so far suggest that half the group want to play the dwarves. The other half haven't commented yet.

Dopey, Doc and Grumpy grab their axes and storm Hogwarts! Aww yeah!
  • This comic struck me as a good illustration of the player-GM relationship in a typical session of Burning Wheel.

• I can't wait to play my B7 (almost G7) Power half orc ranger later. I'll post his character sheet later, but here are my beliefs for the new story arc:

-Life in the Dales is good since the Zhents have fallen. I'm done adventuring. All I want is my brother's cloak back.

-I'm fighting a losing battle with my poision orc blood. I must look for a way to cure my affliction.

-My body will be as Hard as Nails and my Hand of Stone. (In progress)

4th- Dalesmen don't standy idly by while others suffer. I'll help those why can't help themselves.

Instinct:
    -Never back down from a noble.

-Size up (access) my oppenet before a fight.

-Always keep an arrow knocked when outside of town. (This may change.)
  • Power half orc ranger later
    My tired brain totally parsed this as "half-orc Power Ranger."
  • Power half orc ranger later
    You are not alone.
  • edited September 2011
    Yeah,,, you better look up the rules for Throwing guys off a ship and Jumping away from an explosion. You're going to hate me for this too, but I found a way to Link Cooking into Tracking and with Keen Taste.
    Post edited by Wyatt on
  • Godric is also being drawn next since I have a pretty clear image of what he looks like in my head.
  • Brawling is rooted in Power!!!
  • One of the player from the campaign I ran in the summer called me up last night to ask about BW rules for conflict resolution and when to do linked tests vs. using FoRKs etc.

He's been thinking about the game a lot and felt the need to ask me loads of questions.

When I asked him why he told me that he loved the game was last played and he needed advice so he could hope to game on that level again.

Although everything was good I couldn't help but feel really stressed during this whole conversation. It felt like I was some kind or religious leader giving advice to one of his flock.
  • You have been ordained, Brother Guy.
  • Are there any Burning Wheels happening in NYC anytime soon?
    How about at NerdNYC Recess the weekend after MAGFest?
  • I'm running my "Ark of Obscenities" Burning Wheel game there.
  • edited December 2011
    This one? I'll be there.

My body isn't ready for MAGFest yet, unfortunately.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • This one? I'll be there.

My body isn't ready for MAGFest yet, unfortunately.
    You need to get it ready....to ROCK!

Are you looking for a campaign or just one off games? NYC is lousy with Burning Wheel players and GMs.
  • Totally Guy presents Burning Wheel: Hub and Spokes
  • You beat me to it. I was posting in the YouTube thread.
  • /R/burningwheel is open, if any of you redditor guys want to join in and help the community grow.