This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

This morning's Firefox update

edited June 2007 in Technology
Yup, the FRC browser of choice offered a to a new version install this morning, and like an unsuspecting, trusting fool, I went ahead and installed the update.

Has anyone else updated? If so, are you having an issue with the one-click context menus? Perhaps I am using the wrong terminology; when I surf, I will hold down the mouse button on a link to get the context menu. I don't like using control. That option has apparently been removed from me, unless I am a dumb fuck and missed some simple preferences setting.

Advices, if you please?

Comments

• I'll let Ubuntu decide when to update me.
  • Nope. I like my Firefox the way it is and I didn't update it. I would really only update it if there was a reason to. Besides, I always wait to hear what others think of it first. lol!
  • Nope. I like my Firefox the way it is and I didn't update it. I would really only update it if there was a reason to. Besides, I always wait to hear what others think of it first. lol!
    Are you using 2.0?
  • Wait, there's a 2.0.5 out now? Odd that I haven't been prompted yet... Is there anything in it that matters?
  • I just installed it on a new computer at work, and it doesn't seem to change much in the way of functionality. Perhaps it's just an anti-bug update.
  • Have they fixed the memory leak yet?
  • Have they fixed the memory leak yet?
    There isn't really a memory "leak". A memory leak means that a program is allocating memory it doesn't use or that it is not deallocating memory even though it is no longer going to use it. The problem in Firefox is that by design it uses lots of memory in order to increase performance. The amount of memory it uses increases the more pages you visit and the more complicated tabbing you do and such. This is just how it works. This would be fine if people had tons of RAM, but they don't. It's a case of a poor software design decision, not a memory leak or bug.