This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070627 - MoCCA Art Festival

RymRym
edited June 2007 in Conventions
Tonight on GeekNights, we talk about the 2007 MoCCA Art Festival.  In the news, Otakon and Project Blue Chikyuu.
Scott's Thing - Postal Works

Rym's Thing - Bible History

Comments

• Shelli Paroline's site I bought the "Pirate Shorts" book. Comic gold pirate style.
  • I can't possibly go to Connecticon.  I am on the west coast and am going back east to visit family two weeks after.  Therefore, it would require me to buy - on short notice - another plane ticket to a place I am already going shortly after, just for a con of middling size.  Furthermore, I have a summer school class for credit at which I MUST be that friday and that monday.
    What question did the guy ask?
  • edited June 2007
    Strangely enough, I was up in New York for probably the first time in five years last weekend.

StrangER enough, the friend I was hanging out with had all these friends who were super pumped to go to this "mocca" thing, which I thought was a coffee shop at first, but when they were talking about how their friend was doing a reading from his new novel about superheroes, or whatever, I remembered "Hey! That's where them Geeknights guys are going!"

Referencing podcasts is definitely a way to get you in with the 'cool' crowd. Thankfully I was hanging out with a bunch of dorks, so they didn't pile on me and beat the hell out of me for being such a total tool.

I was gonna go... but then me and my friend ended up drinking until the sun came up and passing out for the rest of the day, which was probably preferable to cartoon book conventions, even if other podcasters were there.

So you can buy beer in a deli in New York at 4 am? How awesome is that?
    Post edited by Dave on
  • So you can buy beer in a deli in New York at 4 am? How awesome is that?At Grand Central, you can buy beer for your train ride home from any of half a dozen beer vendors, several of whom sell nothing but beer.  Of course, that  usually makes the  "last chance" trains out of the city on a Saturday night just wonderful experiences.  Obviously, no one would abuse this bounty of beer, and certainly no one would decide to vomit loudly and repeatedly in the bathroom while his friends cheer from the outside...
    Still, you probably would have liked the MoCCA.  It's entirely different from the underwear pervert cons.  (Philly Wizard World was sarcastically awesome).
  • At Grand Central, you can buy beer for your train ride home from any of half a dozen beer vendors, several of whom sell nothingbutbeer.
    Certain New Haven Line trains to Connecticut have bar cars.
  • In Philly, because of blue laws, you basically can't buy beer anywhere ever. Beer distributors close by 9, and aren't allowed to be open on Sunday (if you're drinking during a football game, better plan ahead!) and, bizarrely, beer and spirits have to be sold at different stores. There's all these other rules too, like beer can only be sold by the case, and seemingly the only other place you can buy beer is at pizza shops, and even then a relative few of them.

Philly sucks for beer. I was shocked (SHOCKED!) to find out that the bar would not be closing at 2 am.

I totally was super psyched to go to the MoCCA (even though it contained no coffee, as originally expected), but then I spent too much time getting drunk (not a rarity, unfortunately :/). I really did not take advantage of any of the New York connections. Apparently I missed out on them Ninja Consulants, too? Bad luck, man.
  • RymRym
    edited June 2007
    In Philly, because of blue laws, you basically can't buy beer anywhere ever...
    I remember the last time I was drinking in Philly.  The bar was all weird about my out-of-state ID, and even made me sign some stupid waiver before they'd serve me my Manhattan.
     You guys really need to come into the city with us sometime.  Catch a band, hit a bar, maybe step up to some Japanese-style karaoke or some shady Chinatown arcades.  Granted, we mostly save the heavy drinking for back in Beacon (particularly in the presence of Wario Ware), where I can have a bottle of Southern Comfort for the price of a beer at some bars downtown.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Looks like Netflix hates Blue Submarine 6.

Netflix shows a "Blue Submarine 6: The Movie" DVD that is not in stock. Is this just a collection of the original shows?

They also have a 4 disc series with discs 1 and 2 unavailable!

WTF?
  • Looks like Netflix hates Blue Submarine 6.

Netflix shows a "Blue Submarine 6: The Movie" DVD that is not in stock. Is this just a collection of the original shows?

They also have a 4 disc series with discs 1 and 2 unavailable!

WTF?
    I never actually watched Blue Sub 6. I'm pretty sure the four disc series is the entire show and that the movie is a summary compilation.
  • edited June 2007
    Netflix has a known problem with losing final discs of anime series. There are several I added to my que and then removed because the last disc was "unavailable" or otherwise unlikely to ever reach me.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Netflix has a known problem with losing final discs of anime series. There are several I added to my que and then removed because the last disc was "unavailable" or otherwise unlikely to ever reach me.
    I've noticed a trend as a whole for anime fans to generally not take very good care of their DVDs and tapes. I can't tell you how much the anime club library at RIT had a problem with people scratching DVDs, destroying tapes, and losing both. Sure, there are anime fans like Daryl Surat who will treasure each and every disc like a silver platter, but most seem to have sand in their DVD players. We often get scratched discs from Netflix, and they are almost always anime discs.
  • I got a cracked disc for Millennium Actress from Netflix. Worst part was that it came in on Wednesday and I was waiting until Friday night to watch it. If I had opened the envelope right away I would have found it cracked and gotten a new one in by Friday.