This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Is this allowed?

edited June 2007 in Everything Else
At my high school graduation yesterday one of the teachers said a prayer, I am a little unsure if this is allowed in a public school. It probably is, but I wanted to be sure.

Comments

• Well, there are two forces at work here. First, you have freedom of speech and religion. Second, there's separation of church and state. I have no idea which one would win out.
  • The more important question is, Who cares? The teacher had his best intention in mind and probably thought that was his best way to express himself at the moment, you don't have to be religious to appreciate a prayer for you, it just means that the person praying cares for you (your class) and wishes the best for you.
  • edited July 2007
    I don't think objecting to someone practising their religion in your presence is appropriate behaviour. Just make up some kind of short speech talking about the non-existence of gods and say it just as loud. If anyone objects just ask them why they didn't object when the other person was praying.
    That or praise the holly invisible pink unicorn.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Just make up some kind of short speech talking about the non-existence of gods and say it just as loud. If anyone objects just ask them why they didn't object when the other person was praying.
    Win.
  • I think something along the lines of "The Lords Prayer" but more like "The Atheists Statement" would be a cool thing to have. We can congregate just like any other religion and denounce the concept of gods as foolish in the same way many religions damn atheists and non-believers.
    Though I'd prefer to place ourselves above the denouncement of other religious groups.
  • I think something along the lines of "The Lords Prayer" but more like "The Atheists Statement" would be a cool thing to have. We can congregate just like any other religion and denounce the concept of gods as foolish in the same way many religions damn atheists and non-believers.
    Though I'd prefer to place ourselves above the denouncement of other religious groups.
    Good idea, let's write it.
  • The practice of having clergy or a public school employee lead graduation ceremony prayer was put to an end by Lee v. Weisman, 505 U.S. 577 (1992).

If it was a teacher as you say, I would be more than a little worried if I was the school's attorney.

There is much confusion and contradiction regarding student led, student initiated prayer. Here is a good discussion that includes a good case list.
  • Uhh, if I remember, isn't that what the moment of silence is for?
  • edited July 2007
    @MrRoboto

I don't care that he did it, I was just wondering...
    Post edited by m16 elitest on
  • This is a big, big no-no on school grounds because it is teachers specifically endorsing one religion over all others.

If it was off of school property, it can get a bit dicey because technically you are not required to go to the ceremony to graduate. Since it's not 'required' that you be there, they can get away with this kind of stuff.
  • This is a big, big no-no on school grounds because it is teachers specifically endorsing one religion over all others.
    Saying a prayer, in my opinion, isn't endorsing a religion. I mean what if they are Buddhist, but read a prayer from the Christian Bible? Are they endorsing the religion simply by reading from the Bible?