This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Otakon 2007!

RymRym
edited January 2007 in Conventions
So who all out there is planning on hitting Otakon this year?

I know it's early, but the hotels are selling out fast. You'd better start planning now if you haven't already confirmed a room.

Comments

• I'm planning on going (it will be my first con evar!). I live so close I could just drive up without the need of getting a room, of course I'm not sure if that would be viable. Any suggestions? I don't really have any groups of friends into anime that I could take, so I would probably just be hanging the the FRC.
  • You know, the geeknights podcast could probably get a press pass. ^^

Here's the Otakon policy on podcast press passes (say that 5 times fast):

Independent Bloggers/Podcasters

Blogger/Podcaster's sites:

* Must have been live on or before January 1, 2006.
    * Must have 30,000+ hits per month and at least 5,000+ unique visitors per month. Please provide a live link to your statistics page. If you cannot provide a direct link to your statistics page, please contact us in order to work out an alternative method of credential verification. Clearly legible screenshots of your statistics page may be accepted, following approval from the Press Department Head.
    * Blogs must be updated, on average, at least 5 times per week. Content must be primarily related to Asian culture (reviews, critiques or discussions) and Asian entertainment (Asian cinema, music, or movies). Exceptions may be made. If you have any questions, please contact the Press Department Head.
    * Podcasts must have at least one broadcast per week, where the topic is primarily related to Asian culture (reviews, critiques or discussions) and Asian entertainment (Asian cinema, music, television, or movies).

I just thought that might be useful, because you mentioned you wanted a press pass.
  • I'm not a fan of the press pass.
  • It's sooooo much easier to be a panelist... (if they ever get back to you)
  • I'm hopin' Scrym can get me an official assistant-to-the-panelist-pass. I was like a pretend gaffer for a few minutes last year, and a field reporter (snicker). That's gotta be worth somethin'. :D
  • I just listened to the Otakon 06 shows and it just makes me want to go even more - being in Western Canada poses a couple of issues. I'd love to come and party it up and have a good time with the FRC (Although I would feel REALLY out of place, almost like I'm unwelcome - you guys and your big ol' brains make me feel like I'm a retard!) but I think it's really time to start investing in Ota'08.

If you guys ever hit up PAX I'm SO THERE though.
  • I really want to go but I can't this year. I'm a little short on cash after having to pay for band camp. Otherwise, I would so be there. I am probably going next year, though.
  • I'd feel so intimidated being around all these people who live and breathe anime, then there's me who'd be just finishing Eva, maybe starting Bebop by that time... That's the extent of my non-movie, non-pokemanz anime knowledge.
  • I could almost get a press pass. I wonder if covering Pokemon counts for Asian culture?
  • I'd feel so intimidated being around all these people who live and breathe anime, then there's me who'd be just finishing Eva, maybe starting Bebop by that time... That's the extent of my non-movie, non-pokemanz anime knowledge.
    Don't fear. There are many nubs there.
    I could almost get a press pass. I wonder if covering Pokemon counts for Asian culture?
    It is very hard to get a press pass. They are very strict. The only reason to get one is to get in free, but to also interview guests and such. Anime World Order did it last year, and it was not very beneficial.
  • I'm more of a gamer CON man anyways. Out of all the conventions I have gone too I have never had to pay for entry.
  • I'm more of a gamer CON man anyways. Out of all the conventions I have gone too I have never had to pay for entry.
    Yeah, I'm itching for the gaming cons lately. Connecticon actually has quite a bit of gaming action. You could go to it and literally ignore the anime part and have a good time all weekend.
  • I may go to Connecticon this year. I had an offer to go last year from a friend whose wife had an author table. They live in Maine now... When is Connecticon?
  • I may go to Connecticon this year. I had an offer to go last year from a friend whose wife had an author table. They live in Maine now... When is Connecticon?
    http://www.connecticon.org/
  • edited July 2007
    Are you guys heading to Conneticon again this year? Sorry to steer off topic, but it just popped up.
    Post edited by MitchyD on
  • Are you guys heading to Conneticon again this year? Sorry to steer off topic, but it just popped up.
    Have you been listening to the show at all?
  • Yeah, but I've been getting so mixed up listening to the archives too. I'm heading all the way back and every episode mentions different cons - it doesn't help that I'm picking and choosing... Hehehe. I'll take that as a yes :)
  • Are you guys heading to Conneticon again this year? Sorry to steer off topic, but it just popped up.
    We're doing a great deal of programming for Connecticon this year.
  • Hey guys, I'm just curious.. how many of you would be interested in a Geek Night badge pin? Like pins that have pictures of chibi Rym and Scott on them and one with their logo (if it's ever done). I'm thinking about making a few and selling then at Otakon's artist alley for $0.50 a pop. Rym said it's a good idea.
  • I'd buy one, but I won't be at Otakon.
  • Hey guys, I'm just curious.. how many of you would be interested in a Geek Night badge pin? Like pins that have pictures of chibi Rym and Scott on them and one with their logo (if it's ever done). I'm thinking about making a few and selling then at Otakon's artist alley for $0.50 a pop. Rym said it's a good idea.
    Do it, and sell the extras online.
  • Alright two people have convinced me.

I'll have one that has Rym on it saying oooboontoooooo. I want to make one with scott saying something but I can't think of a good one word catchphrase.
  • How about having Scott saying "like". ;-)
  • edited July 2007
    I am going to my third Otakon this year. I would love one of those Geek Nights badge pins, they sound awesome.
    How many people here cosplay, because I do. I will be cosplaying as Urahara Kisuke from "Bleach" and I will also be part of a Super Smash Brothers cosplay as the Twilight Princess version of Link.

I hope I see some of you guys at Otakon.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • How about having Scott saying "like". ;-)
    Lol!
  • edited July 2007
    I hope I see some of you guys at Otakon.
    I imagine there will be a Geeknights meet and greet like there was last year, it's just a matter of where, which day, and what time. :P
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • I feel too old to cosplay for the most part. Also, because I am aware that some students that I substituted for may be going also, there's no way in hell I'm getting dressed up all goofy-like. At least not until I have tenure somewhere.

I'm looking forward to it also. One of these years, I'll have to get back into artist's ally with new stuff. Of course, I've been saying that for the past 4 years now.
  • I feel too old to cosplay for the most part. Also, because I am aware that some students that I substituted for may be going also, there's no way in hell I'm getting dressed up all goofy-like. At least not until I have tenure somewhere.

They would love you forever if they saw you...
  • Revival!

So, who's going?
  • I really want to go to Otakon, but there are so many reasons that I shouldn't go, and so many others for why I should. Even though it'd only be for a day likely.