This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Borders is Going Down

1235»

Comments

• Yeah, it's not like the most offensive thing, but both of the idomatic uses you brought up make me annoyed. I don't usually say stuff is gay to insult it, because I like the gay. If a video game is gay I would like it.
  • If a video game is gay I would like it.
    Cho Aniki
  • I like Cho Aniki in theory, because it is so freaking weird. It makes me laugh and go WTF.
  • edited April 2011
    Well another Borders is closing because they couldn't negotiate a better deal in the lease.

I got some really GREAT deals, cheaper than Amazon. I got Hellboy 8 & 9, Dragon Girl 1 & 2 complete, The Penny Arcarde 11 1/2 Anniversary Edition, and Avatar: The Last Airbender The Art of the Animated Series as far as manga and graphic novels go.

There were a lot more knitting/crafting books I got that I will definitely be making good use of: Harmony Guides: Colorwork Stitches, Hello My name is Amineko, Itty Bitty Toys, Wild and Wonderful Fleece Animals, and The Knitted Odd-bod Bunch.

These books will definitely help me make my own knitted/crocheted dolls in the future.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited September 2011
    They're all gone now. I got all of Pluto at my Borders for 60% off, but I'm gonna miss it.

Post edited by Diddgery on
  • Genuinely bummed. Borders always had what I wanted, BN never does.
  • Genuinely bummed. Borders always had what I wanted, BN never does.
  • Genuinely bummed.
    Same here. Borders was honestly one of the better bookstores here, and they were all over the place.
  • Cliche, but I can't think of a more fitting song right now.
  • I got so many books I've always wanted for like 50-90% it was awesome... but also sad.
  • Yeah, I feel bad for them, but more in the way I feel bad for someone who drank themselves in to a coward's grave than in the way I'd feel bad for someone who got sucker-punched.
  • edited September 2011
    ...I have no remorse. Even with the sales almost all the books I want at Borders are cheaper on Amazon, including expedited shipping.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • The last time I went to a Borders to buy a book was only because I needed that book now and couldn't even wait for expedited shipping from Amazon. Thing still cost about $25 more than the Amazon price though...

I can't say I'll miss Borders that much, though. It was a nice place to chill while waiting for my wife to get her hair done next door or whatever, but that's about it.
  • I'm thinking about approaching the mall administration and, once a month, turning the closed down borders into a indoor RC Drifting track. There is a 2-3 person wide strip of linoleum that works it's way around the store in a big loop with several kinks and turns. It would be really nice.

Of course, this is going to be begun AFTER finals.
  • I'm thinking about approaching the mall administration and, once a month, turning the closed down borders into a indoor RC Drifting track. There is a 2-3 person wide strip of linoleum that works it's way around the store in a big loop with several kinks and turns. It would be really nice.

Of course, this is going to be begun AFTER finals.
    Airsoft. Just vacuum when you are done.
  • Airsoft. Just vacuum when you are done.
    Excellent idea. I once saw a mall with an indoor mini-golf area that was set up in a Borders-size spot, it apparently did quite well.
  • I used to spend a lot of time in Borders as a teenager. It was even my destination for my Grand Bus Day Adventure, when I used the Rochester bus system.
  • Not going to create another pointless thread, but relevant:

Barnes & Nobles CEO resigns.

Time to start awaiting the closing sales. Pick up the comics and other books.
  • Reduced priced e-readers! That's what I'll be going after!
  • The Nook HD+'s are only $150/$180 now. I got a chance to play with my Mom's and it was definitely nice, especially now that it has the Google play store natively now.
  • Screw the books, I'm getting the board games!
  • I have the original Nook Tablet (not nook color, but the actual tablet) with CM10 installed. It feels like the battery life is getting worse, though, so I'm actively looking for an E-Ink device. I could grab a Kindle Keyboard with Wifi for around $30-$50 on craigslist but, if B&N starts to sink, I might pick up a nook HD+ or a Simple Touch and put real android on it if it gets cheap enough.
  • edited July 2013
    Screw the books, I'm getting the board games!
    I forgot they even sold those.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited August 2014
    Google and Barnes & Noble are teaming up to compete with Amazon.

Looks like they will start by offering same day delivery service in NYC and California. It's not really a factor here in Seattle since Amazon has been doing that already. I have yet to use that service, but it's great when I preorder stuff and it gets delivered to me on release day. Also when it comes to most books, I prefer digital.
    Post edited by Rochelle on