This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110920 - Hive

edited September 2011 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we review the simple, perfect information, complete information two-player boardgame Hive. Natural Selection 2 is still unplayable (but 1 is just fine), Sony goes extra silly with its PSN TOS, and printing weapons is the inevitability we all have always assumed it would be.

Download MP3

Comments

• I thought you guys called a moratorium on in-podcast pony discussion an episode or two back.
  • edited September 2011
    I thought you guys called a moratorium on in-podcast pony discussion an episode or two back.
    Yes but, all the same, there is a big cross demographic between Geeknights and MLP; not many people know the basis for "Art of the Dress" and the origin has John Barrowman, how is AWESOME.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Rym: From the description to the Art of the Dress songs video.
    The song is originaly called "Putting it Together" and was from the 1984 musical "Sunday in the Park with George", made by Stephen Sondheim. Barbara Streisand then did a cover of the song on a 1985 album of showtunes. The song appears in the 1992 (1999 Broadway) revue "Putting it Together" because it's a collection of songs by Stephen Sondheim.

• Holy shit! That's Inigo Montoya!
  • Hive? I remember you guys getting into this game a year or two ago at PAX. :P I would have figured you guys would do Marrakech first. :(
  • Hive? I remember you guys getting into this game a year or two ago at PAX. :P I would have figured you guys would do Marrakech first. :(
  • That's not Assam, however still amusing.
  • edited September 2011
    That's not Assam, however still amusing.
    I know it's not Assam. I was making a joke of Mario 2.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I thought I was the only person who blurted out "I don't remember if it was a telecaster or a stratocaster" in actual conversation.
  • I thought I was the only person who blurted out "I don't remember if it was a telecaster or a stratocaster" in actual conversation.
    What do you see? A telecaster, or a stratocaster? WHAT DO YOU SEE?
  • edited September 2011
    The twisty knob adjusts the power to the gun; twist it down to get more power to the engines and other functions, twist it up before you fire to pour the juice on. The protagonist of TIE Fighter can't have taken his helmet off because TIE fighters are not pressurized. TIE fighters have internal holographic displays; the window is just a manual backup. Yes, you need to refuel TIE Fighters, frequently actually.

I'm a huge nerd.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • The twisty knob adjusts the power to the gun; twist it down to get more power to the engines and other functions, twist it up before you fire to pour the juice on. The protagonist of TIE Fighter can't have taken his helmet off because TIE fighters are not pressurized. TIE fighters have internal holographic displays; the window is just a manual backup. Yes, you need to refuel TIE Fighters, frequently actually.

I'm a huge nerd.
    In other words, I'm correct. What you see on the screen when you play the game TIE Fighter is nothing like what an "actual" TIE Fighter pilot would see.
  • It's probably not far off, though. You'd want to keep a semblance of the control interface so that the pilot can reach for all the switches and shit.

Heck, maybe the low resolution graphics of TIE Fighter is exactly what a TIE pilot sees.
  • Yo dawg I heard you like TIE Fighters... so I put a graphical representation of a TIE Fighter cockpit... in your TIE Fighter heads up display???
  • Sure, why not? Makes sure there is no dissonance between where the controls are and what the pilot sees while also allowing for augmented reality. I bet if a TIE fighter pilot turns his head, the canopy in his display fades out so he can see beside, above or below him. And if at any point his vision is impaired, say, by his fighter catching an ion-cannon blast, he kicks the helmet to manual mode so he can see out the window.
  • Sure, why not? Makes sure there is no dissonance between where the controls are and what the pilot sees while also allowing for augmented reality. I bet if a TIE fighter pilot turns his head, the canopy in his display fades out so he can see beside, above or below him. And if at any point his vision is impaired, say, by his fighter catching an ion-cannon blast, he kicks the helmet to manual mode so he can see out the window.
    If he catches an ion-cannon blast he is fucked. They have no sheilds.
  • If he catches an ion-cannon blast he is fucked. They have no sheilds.
    Nope, Ion cannons are essentially an EMP - if they hit you, they'll kill your electronics, but it won't break anything. He's probably fucked anyway, since he's now going wherever his inertia directs him without the ability to redirect, but not having shields isn't going to cause an ion cannon shot to kill them.
  • Besides, not having shields isn't universal for all TIEs. Need a remind you of the TIE Defender?
  • True. Also Vader's TIE.
  • Besides, not having shields isn't universal for all TIEs. Need a remind you of the TIE Defender?
    Don't forget the TIE Advanced, TIE Avenger, TIE Phantom, TIE oppressor, TIE Vanguard, TIE Reconnaissance Fighter.
  • Shields are overrated anyway. How much good did they do the X-Wings on the trench run, huh?
  • I've played Hive a few times. It's a fun game! I didn't play anywhere near enough times to solve it though. I find I can only do that when playing against the same person a lot, rather than switching opponents for each game, as I did with Hive.
  • Pressurised cabins are much more needed.
  • Why? They have a space suit. If the hull gets breached, there is no pressure difference, nothing happens.
  • Then they wouldn't need space suits.
  • Then they wouldn't need space suits.
    Then they would die if the hull is breached. Space suit is better chance of survival.
  • You have an ejection pod....
  • Then they would die if the hull is breached. Space suit is better chance of survival.
    Well, after a fashion. It doesn't help that TIEs are pretty much soap bubbles with guns.
  • You have an ejection pod....
    Which is useless without a space suit.
  • POD. Not Seat. The pod has life support.