This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Burning Apocalypse Con

edited August 2011 in Conventions
The successor to last year's Burning Con 10/10/10 was just announced: Burning Apocalypse Con 11/11/11!

This time Luke Crane of Burning Wheel is teaming up with Vincent Baker of Apocalypse World (and Dogs in the Vineyard, etc.) for another weekend of gaming in NYC.

Details are forthcoming, but I will be there!

Comments

• Oh, I maybe able to make this one!
  • So, how difficult is it to move to NYC? T.T
  • I attended 10 10 10 last year and have been listening to the podcast since then. I hope to go again this year. Especially with the Apocalypse World stuff being there too.

This time I'm going to try to find lots of things to do in New York rather than expect the city to come to me.

Hey, Rym and Scott recorded BWHQ playing The Sword when one of the attendees ran it. Did that ever go onto the site?
  • Hey, Rym and Scott recorded BWHQ playing The Sword when one of the attendees ran it. Did that ever go onto the site?
    Unwatchable.
  • Looks like it is going to be at 440 studios where we have had many a NerdNYC Recess.
  • I hope Alex is running a game again so Scott and I can murder and eat the party again.
  • I hope Alex is running a game again so Scott and I can murder and eat the party again.
    Did we do that?
    Did we do that?
    Remember the whip thing? Lost in the desert? Killed the guy with the whip by bashing his head in with a rock? Ate him? He came back as a giant spider NPC? Killed him as that and ate him again?
  • Remember the whip thing? Lost in the desert? Killed the guy with the whip by bashing his head in with a rock? Ate him? He came back as a giant spider NPC? Killed him as that and ate him again?
    Nope, but it sounds awesome.
  • Remember the whip thing? Lost in the desert? Killed the guy with the whip by bashing his head in with a rock? Ate him? He came back as a giant spider NPC? Killed him as that and ate him again?
    Where the fuck was I for that?
  • edited September 2011
    Alex's Burning Dark Sun game at the con. It was hilarious because the same guy got murdered as two different characters (once as the slave driver, once as the spider), my character who "knew the way to a town" turned out to not know his way anywhere, and the party learned that eating giant spiders, while relieving hunger, can give you the runs. Also, Scott murdered the slave driver guy the first time by bashing his head in with a rock while he was sleeping.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • Alex's Burning Dark Sun game at the con. It was hilarious because the same guy got murdered as two different characters (once as the slave driver, once as the spider), my character who "knew the way to a town" turned out to not know his way anywhere, and the party learned that eating giant spiders, while relieving hunger, can give you the runs. Also, Scott murdered the slave driver guy the first time by bashing his head in with a rock while he was sleeping.
    Oh, now I remember. We all had a trait where when he cracked the whip we cowered. He definitely deserved the head-bashing.
  • Is it worth considering a trip up from ATL for this?
    Only if you really really like tabletop role playing for two days straight.
  • The con is definitely a test of endurance. It's basically non-stop the whole time.
  • The con is definitely a test of endurance. It's basically non-stop the whole time.
    I only watched last time, as I was doing dual-duty between NYCC/NYAF and Burning Con. I generated a lot of low-res video with terrible audio. ;^) I also played in one game late the second day (which didn't have enough players to start otherwise).

This time around, much more skilled in video as I am, the HD will be out in force. I'm also running a game. ^__^
  • knew the way to a town" turned out to not know his way anywhere, and the party learned that eating giant spiders, while relieving hunger, can give you the runs. Also, Scott murdered the slave driver guy the first time by bashing his head in with a rock while he was sleeping.
    Oh, now I remember. We all had a trait where when he cracked the whip we cowered. He definitely deserved the head-bashing.

That was me. That spider needed some armor.

I signed up to run FreeMarket this time around.
      Only if you really really like tabletop role playing for two days straight.
      You also have to run a game. Everyone runs a game.
    • I need to figure out a hotel share.

I was going to crash at my step-sister's place but as she is still living with her dad that probably makes it awkward. The son of your ex-wife's new husband (who'll be sleeping on your couch) is not traditionally a fulfilling introduction.
    • If you signed up for 11/11/11, what game are you running?
    • If you signed up for 11/11/11, what game are you running?
      Into the Mountain.

Something about checking to see if the Ark of Obscenities is indeed still sealed. Microdungeon which may or may not contain obscenities.
    • Microdungeon which may or may not contain obscenities.
      You are in a dungeon. You walk north. You find a copy of Lady Chatterly's Lover.
    • You are in a dungeon. You walk south. A wild Marques De Sade attacks you. What do you do?
    • You are in a dungeon. You walk south. A wild Marques De Sade attacks you. What do you do?
      I get the feeling that trying to beat him would be counterproductive.
      It all depends on what are you trying to achieve by that.
      Its a trick encounter. You are not meant to win, merely try to survive.
    • I'm running a Burning Wheel murder mystery. Should be good but I've asked to change slot as last year I crashed with jet lag at that late time slot.

This time I'm going to try to adapt to east coast time before crossing the Atlantic. :p

I saw Scott's running a FreeMarket session. Will it be pregens doing something specific or new characters and MRCZ with memory mash up?
      1. Will it be pregens doing something specific or new characters and MRCZ with memory mash up?

I'm guessing Scott will have them do character creation; that's what I'm planning on doing as superuser. Making characters and a MRCZ is half the fun, and there's great player buy-in for doing so. (But it takes about half the time slot, unless everyone's played before.)
    • 11/11/11 is so very close!