This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

White House Petitions

edited September 2011 in Politics
Since the other one I made seems to be going well, I made another petition at the White House web site. I'll put all future petitions in this thread. If you make one, also put it here. My new one is about vacation.

http://t.co/heUvaYbr

I asked for 20 days minimum vacation time and 8 hours maximum working hours for all full time employees. Sadly, they don't give you enough characters to write all your reasoning. Here is my reasoning if you need encouragement to sign this.

If existing employees can only work 8 hours a day, maximum, and MUST take 20 days a year off, companies will need to hire more people. Instant job creation at no cost to the government.

If Americans have all this free time they will be healthier and happier, decreasing health care and mental health care costs. They will have their lives enriched and enrich the lives of others. Free time means we can spend time with our friends families. It means we can spend time traveling and seeing the world. It means we can actually finish those side projects. It means we have time to volunteer. It means we can go fight the old ladies at the homeowner's association.

More tourism dollars boosts the economy. More leisure time means more spending on leisure items and media, boosting the economy.

Henry Ford, knew that leisure time was key. He was right about going from a six day week to a five day week. I actually think we're ready for a four-day week. If we're heading for a world without work, the best way to get there is to slowly reduce working hours over time.

Comments

• I actually think we're ready for a four-day week.
    4 10-hour days would be perfect.
  • I actually think we're ready for a four-day week.
    4 10-hour days would be perfect.
    Four five hour days I think is right. Gives people a chance to get home before the kids.
  • 4 10-hour days would be perfect.
    This shift is only good during the holiday weekends. It really eats up on personal time each day.

I would be down for four five hour days.
  • Four ten hour days seems to work really well for the people I know that work it. An extra day off makes all the difference.
  • Some of these petitions make me lose some faith in humanity.
  • I asked for 20 days minimum vacation time and 8 hours maximum working hours for all full time employees. Sadly, they don't give you enough characters to write all your reasoning. Here is my reasoning if you need encouragement to sign this.
    Unfortunately, I believe until part-time workers are guaranteed some kind of prorated portion of the benefits of full-time workers, things like this will only encourage more companies to replace full-time positions with part-time positions.
  • I believe until part-time workers are guaranteed some kind of prorated portion of the benefits of full-time workers, things like this will only encourage more companies to replace full-time positions with part-time positions.
    So... more jobs? Yay?

Basically my only concern with initiatives like this one is that they might make the companies go: "Fuck it, let's outsource all our jobs to India and not deal with American regulations"*. Which of course is exactly like saying "let's not organize or go on strikes, because the company might fire us all from our underpaid jobs in the the deathtrap factory."

* somehow I imagine that said in a French accent, even though they're all probably born and raised Americans.
  • * somehow I imagine that said in a French accent, even though they're all probably born and raised Americans.
    Which is very ironic, given how well the French treat their employees and the myriad regulations they have to pay attention to.
  • This shift is only good during the holiday weekends. It really eats up on personal time each day.
    Having each Friday to yourself is much more valuable than you'd think.
  • Also, I work 10 hour days fairly frequently, so if that was the case, it would be awesome. Friday would be animation, paperwork, and have-a-good-time day.
  • Having each Friday to yourself is much more valuable than you'd think.
    Oh I know. I used to work 4 10's for several years. I just hated it when stuff came up on those days and I had to use leave. Whenever I would come home, I would have just a few hours to relax and what not before going to bed to get proper sleep. Also there were many a work day where it just dragged on forever.

Overall, it just depends on what you do for work. They have their pros and cons. I just like that my job is fairly flexible with work tours. I like working 6 AM - 2:30 PM. My commute has little traffic and I'm off of work early enough to run errands.