This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

ACTA Treaty

edited November 2009 in Politics
Since this was ignored in the other thread I'll just start a new one to discuss it.

The ACTA Internet Chapter: Putting the Pieces Together by Michael Geist
Leaked ACTA Internet Provisions: Three Strikes and a Global DMCA by Gwen Hinze (EFF)

Comments

• Fuck...that...shit
  • ...do not include a fair use/fair dealing exception.
    If this shit gets passed, all the techies move to an ad-hoc, illegal network, right?
  • Someone summarize for me what is going on here.
  • Someone summarize for me what is going on here.
    US trying to make a global DMCA with more fail than the original.
  • US trying to make a global DMCA with more fail than the original.
    Yep, pretty much. Also circumventing ALL domestic laws in its member countries (US, Canada, Korea, etc) and making ISP's liable. Stupid shit all around.
  • edited November 2009
    It also makes it legal to send you to prison for ripping CDs, for airport security to screen storage devices (including but not limited to optical disks and hard drives) as you travel to prevent sneakernetting of infringing materials, and for you to be be prosecuted for the production of fake DVD and CD covers.

ACTA is basically freedom ebola. I wonder if I can get a compartment to hide SD cards built into my shoulder blade. At least then I can listen to music while I travel.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and after three times being caught downloading illegal content, your ISP will be legally compelled to sever your connection. That's right: the goddamn movie industry is pushing for laws that could flat out ruin a life in the digital age.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • And this is actually happening, not just being proposed?
  • And this is actually happening, not just being proposed?
    No, it's currently a proposal as far as I can tell. I elected Obama for net neutrality among other things, if he lets this fly I will be super pissed.
  • if he lets this fly I will be super pissed.
    If he lets this fly, I'm pulling a GTFO on the US and heading for Europe. ACTA would mean that we would NOT be the most free country in the world anymore. The only reason conservatives don't bring it up and paint it with the "stealing of freedoms" brush is because it basically mainlines money into the veins of big business.
  • So... what now?
  • So... what now?
    I'm already in Europe.
  • You know, the only thing I'm seeing about this is a rather specious Ars article....
  • You know, the only thing I'm seeing about this is a rather specious Ars article....
    Wikipedia states that the signing ceremony already happened.
  • Doesn't any treaty signed by the US have to get past the senate and those pesky secret holds?
  • ...do not include a fair use/fair dealing exception.
    If this shit gets passed, all the techies move to an ad-hoc, illegal network, right?
    There has been talk about building a voluntary mesh network in major metropolitan areas for years. Now would be the time to do that. Does anyone know what standards/equipment that is supposed to involve?
    You know, the only thing I'm seeing about this is a rather specious Ars article....
    Actually Wikipedia doesn't. However this statement of the Japanese foreign ministry (to which the Wiki refers you) says it was expected to have happened on October 1. You'd think there was a better article to link to about actual signing though...
  • There has been talk about building a voluntary mesh network in major metropolitan areas for years. Now would be the time to do that. Does anyone know what standards/equipment that is supposed to involve?
    Standard 802.11 equipment should work.
  • Buy a bunch of those $25 pc's and some cheap wifi dongles. Ge on it WUB
  • I still want to make that bittorent daemon that allows any program to grab content from magnet links so people can embed torrent video straight into web pages and such.
    I gotta fight the despair first though.
  • I think I may just get cheap laptop from craigslist to use as a dedicated pirate box and never log into anything associated with myself on it, and only pirate on public wifi.
  • I think I may just get cheap laptop from craigslist to use as a dedicated pirate box and never log into anything associated with myself on it, and only pirate on public wifi.
    You're too paranoid. I Pirate Bay all the time.
    You're too paranoid. I Pirate Bay all the time.
    The probability of any one person being picked up for a torrent is in the low single digits. If it's even that high.
  • Can anyone put this in layman's terms for me? Is this official US law now?
    Actually Wikipedia doesn't. However this statement of the Japanese foreign ministry (to which the Wiki refers you) says it was expected to have happened on October 1. You'd think there was a better article to link to about actual signing though...
    Read ALL of the first six paragraphs. It's been signed.
  • Doesn't any treaty signed by the US have to get past the senate and those pesky secret holds?
    Someone in the government, not sure who, is saying this treaty doesn't have to be approved by the senate. No surprise. The constitution has been conveniently ignored for many years.
  • Someone in the government, not sure who,
    link or reference or it didn't happen.
  • Someone in the government, not sure who,
    link or reference or it didn't happen.
    The US has positioned ACTA as an executive agreement rather than a treaty. Such a move means that ACTA doesn't need Senate approval, but it also means that the agreement should not alter US law, either. If you want to change the law, you go to Congress.
    http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/03/harvard-law-profs-theres-a-lawsuit-coming-over-acta.ars
  • It really bugs me when legislation and such is drafted in secret, and that it's been so hard to get details on what this actually says. This is not the way democratic governments are supposed to work.

Paranoid rambling here: I have to wonder if there are provisions buried in there to allow governments to shut down Internet/twitter/text communication whenever they want, such as- say - in an Egypt or Libya type situation.

The powers that be are afraid of the Internet, because it can be used to threaten their power. I think they're desperately looking for ways to emasculate the Internet.
  • ACTA is a travesty for a multitude of reasons, and I expect you've all written your senators telling them that you're displeased with the whole affair.