This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Steve Jobs, 1955 - 2011

edited October 2011 in Technology
Apple's tribute.

RIP Steve Jobs. I may not exactly be Apple's biggest fan, but Jobs was involved in home computing since the very beginning, and modern computing certainly wouldn't be where it is today without him.

So, where does Apple and modern computing go from here?

Comments

• Eh. I don't see all that much changing for a while. But I think, over time, the silly Apple stereotype of being the company that has really insubstantial product updates for the sake of getting more money out of you will become a little bit more true. We already see it with the iPhone getting these incremental updates, about half of which are actually worth it. It'll just get worse over time, probably. But not immediately, or for a while.
  • Haters gonna hate. But dude knew how to make money...
  • I think the iPhone 4S will turn out to be to Steve Jobs as Unit 01 is to Yui Ikari, it will contain his soul.
  • He was a great business man and he accomplished much.
  • I've seen a bunch of people comparing this to when Walt Disney died. Both changed their respective fields forever, but unlike when Walt died, Jobs recognized what was coming and stepped down and made sure that the company would be taken care of.
  • I've seen a bunch of people comparing this to when Walt Disney died. Both changed their respective fields forever, but unlike when Walt died, Jobs recognized what was coming and stepped down and made sure that the company would be taken care of.
    And Jobs had the ability to do things. Walt only possessed the ability to see things for others to do.

Also, relevant:
  • Guys, don't worry. In 50 years, a younger Steve Jobs will appear as a hologram in apple HQ and give them subtle advice on the next course of action that Apple should take.

The next 1000 years are totally going to be OK.
  • Haters gonna hate. But dude knew how to make money...
    This is a sad happening but money is not everything in live.
  • But alot of people made a living because of him..
  • I respect his contributions to everyday life.
  • I respect his contributions to everyday life.
  • You want to learn a lesson from Steve Jobs' death. Here's the lesson. You can't take it with you. Already rich, why try to make so much more money? Why secret? Why closed? He made technology a lot better in many ways, the only person who could get a well designed product out the door. Then again, he could have made the world even better if it were not for greed. He couldn't take it with him, and neither can anybody else.
  • “Steve Jobs was an extraordinary visionary, our very dear friend and the guiding light of the Pixar family. He saw the potential of what Pixar could be before the rest of us, and beyond what anyone ever imagined. Steve took a chance on us and believed in our crazy dream of making computer animated films; the one thing he always said was to simply ‘make it great.’ He is why Pixar turned out the way we did and his strength, integrity and love of life has made us all better people. He will forever be a part of Pixar’s DNA. Our hearts go out to his wife Laurene and their children during this incredibly difficult time.”

-John Lasseter and Ed Catmul
  • Why secret? I listened to an old show of yours today and you agreed it was better to announce something when it is finished and not before. You cited The Geek Nights DVD as an example of not Being open because sometimes shit don't pan out.
  • Why secret? I listened to an old show of yours today and you agreed it was better to announce something when it is finished and not before. You cited The Geek Nights DVD as an example of not Being open because sometimes shit don't pan out.
    I think he's talking more about how closed of a platform the iPhone is and how controlled Macs are. I really feel like this is so that everything just works, but there needs to be a healthy balance between the two if you want to make the "perfect" platform.
    It's possible to not have secrets and also not announce anything.
  • I think he's talking more about how closed of a platform the iPhone is and how controlled Macs are. I really feel like this is so that everything just works, but there needs to be a healthy balance between the two if you want to make the "perfect" platform.
    Apple ][gs. The perfect Jobs/Woz combo. Without Woz, there's definitely something missing.
  • OMG

Are you joking?
  • OMG

Are you joking?
    Wish I was.
  • “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.”
  • Apple reports unexpected loss of Jobs.
  • edited October 2011
    Apple reports unexpected loss of Jobs.
    And for once, it's a loss of Jobs that the Democrats and Republicans can't blame on each other.

Post edited by Churba on
  • You want to learn a lesson from Steve Jobs' death.
    How about this one? Don't use a special diet or other alternative theories suggested by anyone who calls himself a "naturopath."

http://skeptoid.com/blog/2011/10/05/a-lesson-in-treating-illness/
  • Why are people suddenly giving Steve Jobs credit for inventing the podcast? Steve Jobs is the Al Gore of podcasts.