This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Counter-Strike Global Offensive

Comments

• No mods. Ever.
    What if there's a mod that only accepts IP addresses from Equestria?
  • What if there's a mod that makes it easier to manage the player base, or that can expand the games capabilities, or one that removes hats?
    If there are hats, then CS:GO is dead to me. As for mods, I'm trusting the developers to not fuck this one up and include basic administration tools.
  • I have deferred my CS Source server until CS:Go is live.
    Excuses.
  • I have deferred my CS Source server until CS:Go is live. I will run an official GeekNights Go server as early as is feasible once it's out.
    Booo. I want good CS:S server to play in with good people.
  • Map comparisons between CS:S and CS:GO. I want to see some comparisons with CS beta 9.
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2081250
  • No mods. Ever.
    Mapchooser? RTV?
  • No mods. Ever.
    Mapchooser? RTV?
    I'd hope that Valve can include these by default. The Left 4 Dead games had a voting system built right in, so they won't even really have to do that much work to port it over.
  • @MitchyD wrote a nice preview of CS:GO that gives me the high hopes.

http://www.oxmonline.com/counter-strike-global-offensive-preview
  • CS: GO Beta is now live on Steam. If someone gets me a key, you are the best.
  • RymRym
    edited December 2011
    Give it to me instead and I'll pay you double. ;^)

(Space Dollars)
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Give it to me instead and I'll pay you double. ;^)

(Space Dollars)
    I will pay you double real dollars.
  • Double of nothing is still zero ;)
  • Let's say I have one and didn't want to give it away unless for money. How much money would I be able to trade for it? =P
  • Let's say I have one and didn't want to give it away unless for money. How much money would I be able to trade for it? =P
    More than nough to buy a copy when the beta is over.

• I saw someone on the Steam forums offering $200 dollars worth of steam gifts of your choice for a key, and I believe a friend of mine sold his for >£70.

I have one, and I'm sad to say it seems pretty terrible so far. I'll be giving it a better shot over the weekend, but it's *very* beta right now; to the point of being hardly playable.
  • I saw someone on the Steam forums offering $200 dollars worth of steam gifts of your choice for a key, and I believe a friend of mine sold his for >£70.

I have one, and I'm sad to say it seems pretty terrible so far. I'll be giving it a better shot over the weekend, but it's *very* beta right now; to the point of being hardly playable.
    That's ok. Unlike indie games in beta, *cough*NS2*cough* it's guaranteed to improve and become very playable. Having early access to even a buggy version provides a huge competitive advantage.
  • edited December 2011
    That's ok. Unlike indie games in beta, *cough*NS2*cough* it's guaranteed to improve and become very playable. Having early access to even a buggy version provides a huge competitive advantage.
    Yes and No.
    At the moment, the only rifles available are the AK, M4, AWP and Scout. SMGs are limited to just the UMP, and the only pistols are the default USP/Glock, and the deagle.

Oh, and the only map is dust.

The only competitive advantage you're going to gain from playing early are
    • Learning the weapons' new spray patterns
    • Map tactics for the (slightly edited) Dust
    • Appropriate use of decoy/molotov grenades.
    • Edit: And the new buy commands
    At this point, you'd probably learn more from playing a few CS:S scrims to find how the stock maps are played in competitive games, and get a few basic tactics down.
    Post edited by Farragar on
  • edited February 2012
    Here comes Tactical Intervention for reals.

http://kotaku.com/5885579/counter+strike-gets-some-serious-competition-this-spring

Silver age or new golden age of PC FPS Gaming? CS:GO, TI, NS2?
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Here comes Tactical Intervention for reals.

http://kotaku.com/5885579/counter+strike-gets-some-serious-competition-this-spring

Silver age or new golden age of PC FPS Gaming? CS:GO, TI, NS2?
    With NS2 finally at a stage of being playable (at least for me), and the others fast approaching, I sure hope so.
  • Valve's dropping cross-platform play for CS:GO. PC and Mac will be able to play with each other, but PS3 and XB360 will be independent of the rest.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/05/counter-strike-global-offensive-loses-cross-play/
  • edited March 2012
    Valve's dropping cross-platform play for CS:GO. PC and Mac will be able to play with each other, but PS3 and XB360 will be independent of the rest.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/05/counter-strike-global-offensive-loses-cross-play/
    Did they say why? Is it because the console players got OWNED?

Post edited by Apreche on
  • Valve's dropping cross-platform play for CS:GO. PC and Mac will be able to play with each other, but PS3 and XB360 will be independent of the rest.

Nope. According the article it's because they want to be able to push patches faster to the PC and Mac versions, without having to deal with the console version updates.

Nope. According the article it's because they want to be able to push patches faster to the PC and Mac versions, without having to deal with the console version updates.
    Damn those pesky legitimate technical reasons for getting in the way of Scott's ego.

• Ahuh? Hmm, doesn't sound like an excuse at all to me.
  • edited March 2012
    Ahuh? Hmm, doesn't sound like an excuse at all to me.
    Basically, the patches would have to be modified for the consoles, they'd have to be sure to work the same way across both and work properly with both simultaneously, and Xbox live/Playstation Network are a little weird about patches - they have their own strict approval process that they have to be put through before they're put on the machine, and if they say no to a patch, it doesn't get pushed, you'd have to delay patches for ALL systems till they said yes, along with re-doing your own internal checks for the patches after any re-writes they want done before they push them. It's a huge amount of trouble, for not much benefit, it's more cost/time effective to split the platforms up.

Frankly, most people don't give a shit about competitive cross-platform FPS. It's not the first, it wouldn't be the last. The only people who give that much of a shit are PC or Console players who are insecure about their FPS skills, and want opponents they think they can easily stomp all over to supplement their egos, with a way to mitigate failures if they get stomped - PC players can blame the game having their platform nerfed to compete with consoles, for example, and Console players can blame Macros, control schemes, cheats, etc, etc.

There are also rules about what is a patch, and what is DLC - for example, there has been fuck all patching for TF2 on the Xbox, because Microsoft won't allow valve to give away certain things for free, nor will they let them push patches as quickly as they'd like. Thus, the most vanilla, as-it-was-at-release TF2 you'll find nowdays? On the Xbox.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Sounds legit. Maybe that's why Steam wants their own console. Rumor is that MS charges tens of thousands to push a patch. Steam box would be first console to get PC style updates.
  • Sounds legit. Maybe that's why Steam wants their own console. Rumor is that MS charges tens of thousands to push a patch. Steam box would be first console to get PC style updates.
    I'd put money on it's accuracy. The figure I recall on patches - via an interview with Tim Schafer - is about forty grand per patch.

Makes sense for the Steam Box, too - Valve has already learned the value of controlling the distribution platform, and having partial control over the Gaming platform - I can't recall the exact percentage of PC/Mac gaming sales they account for, but it's the majority. A valve console is one of the logical progressions of the Steam business model, and frankly, with the popularity of consoles with their respective online services, as well as the main complaint about PCs being the expense of upgrades and/or initial outlay, it was only a matter of time before they tried something like this in some manner.

By the way, I don't mean you, when I say players who care about Competitive cross platform FPS. You're a unique case, in many situations, and even if you weren't, I don't think you really give much of a shit about it beyond cracking jokes.

• I just got into the beta, and I can't wait for it to finish installing...
    I hate you.
    I hate you.