This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20111004 - Rock of Ages

edited October 2011 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we review the surprising and interesting Rock of Ages. In the news, id releases Rage, Xenonauts might be X-Com, and Risk Legacy brings statefulness to boardgames (for good or ill, we cannot yet say).

Download MP3

Comments

• It's hot as hell in Fillydelphia. Sit down John.
  • On the note of the water pitchers, I wrote an algorithm a while ago which takes in the sizes of two buckets (m and n) and the desired quantity of water (which must be between 0 and m+n and must also be a integer multiple of the greatest common factor of m and n).

Without going into too much detail

1. Run the Extended Euclidean Algorithm on m and n yielding an equation of the form xm + yn = 1
    2. Multiply the equation by the desired quantity, k, yielding: kxm+kyn = k.
    3. Now this linear combination describes the fact that the bucket of size m is filled kx times, poured into the bucket of size n when full, and the bucket of size n is emptied ky times (when full).
    4. However, filling the m bucket n times and the n bucket m times yields nothing, so we are going to reduce the equation by subtracting n from (kx) and m from (ky) until kx is between 0 and n and ky is between 0 and m.
    5. note, this will actually leave two solutions because in one, bucket m will be filled and bucket n will be emptied while in the other the roles will be switched.

2(5)-2(3)=4
    3(3)-1(5)=4

the first of these corresponds to the solution

the second corresponds to:

the algorithm extends pretty well out to much larger numbers, though I credit that more to Euclid than to myself.
    Having looked at the idea of a linear combination as a solution, which suggests that one bucket must be the fill bucket and on must be the draining bucket, the brute force algorithm as follows becomes reasonable.

fill bucket 1
    pour it into bucket 2
    repeat until bucket 2 is full
    empty bucket 2
    pour the leftovers of bucket 1 into bucket 2
    repeat all above steps until you have the desired quantity of water.

Wait, this episode isn't about the musical? Damn it, I got excited for a second there.
  • It is October. Not September...
  • I found it lulzy the Scott started with "lol people need to get more skills" then later agreed with Rym when Rym speculated that the balance issued were caused by the developers being too good at the game and throwing the balance. Maybe Scott just needs to get more skilled?
    lol. Neither of us noticed. I think the Mario accent is to blame.
  • I havn't finished the game (actually removed it from Steam last night before the podcast) but my assessment was similar to Scrym's. If there are optimal defenses, I'm not sure how to implement them, and there's not enough focus on them to get me into the game. The game feels very complete in terms of artwork, general boulder physics, and stuff... but very underdeveloped in terms of gameplay where it really just comes across as a demo the whole way down. I think that Scrym's thought of sliders for everything would make a massive difference in the game. Or a level toolkit. Or some challenge modes that feel a little more rewarding.

My problem with slowing the game down for more build time is that I was already pretty bored with the 5 minute level model. There would need to be more escalation in the game somehow to keep me going. Perhaps the boulders get bigger and bigger and bigger to start as the map goes on? So your first boulder is say a 7, then a 14 ,then a 21, 28, and then max out at 35. So if you played well, the 5th boulder is the kill shot and you can take a little beating, but if any of your boulders get shot down a degree you're going to need 6. If you lost about a degree per boulder, you'll need 7.
    lol. Neither of us noticed. I think the Mario accent is to blame.
    I thought we went in a time warp because of the LHC and I was the only one who noticed.
  • a1sa1s
    edited October 2011
    the algorithm extends pretty well out to much larger numbers, though I credit that more to Euclid than to myself.
    The idea posited on the show is that you have a set of buckets, with sizes {B0,B1, B2,...,Bn} and you need to obtain a quantity 0< x < Sum( {B0,...,Bn} ) of water in them.
    ... or, if it wasn't (maybe you're right, and I'm the one who misunderstood), consider this a new math problem for you to solve in your spare time.
    Post edited by a1s on
  • the algorithm extends pretty well out to much larger numbers, though I credit that more to Euclid than to myself.
    The idea posited on the show is that you have a set of buckets, with sizes {B0,B1, B2,...,Bn} and you need to obtain a quantity 0< x < Sum( {B0,...,Bn} ) of water in them.
    ... or, if it wasn't (maybe you're right, and I'm the one who misunderstood), consider this a new math problem for you to solve in your spare time.
    I think my solution can be pretty easily adapted. You have buckets of size 3,5 and 11 and want to make something. If the number is bigger than 11, subtract 11 from it and make the difference from 3 and 5. If the number is smaller than 11, make the number from 3 and 5. The only possible complication is when numbers aren't relatively prime.
  • Running rsync all the time will work, but there are problems. Mostly there is a good chance it will fuck up every once in awhile and cause you great pain. A NAS is cheap. Just get one.
  • a1sa1s
    edited October 2011
    The only possible complication is when numbers aren't relatively prime.
    Well duh.
    For a sample problem:
    buckets are 30, 42,70 and 105 liters (or ounces if you prefer) in volume. You can fill a bucket, empty a bucket, or pour from one bucket to another until one of them becomes either empty or full.
    a) get 23 liters into any bucket
    b) get a total of 143 liters in the buckets, or show why it's impossible. (Edit: it said 100, which was an obvious typo- we want more than the biggest bucket in this exercise. Nevertheless, I apologize for the inconvinience)
    c) for any set of 3 buckets devise a rule to determine which volumes are possible.
    Post edited by a1s on
  • The only possible complication is when numbers aren't relatively prime.
    Well duh.
    For a sample problem:
    buckets are 30, 42,70 and 105 liters (or ounces if you prefer) in volume. You can fill a bucket, empty a bucket, or pour from one bucket to another until one of them becomes either empty or full.
    a) get 23 liters into any bucket
    b) get a total of 143 liters in the buckets, or show why it's impossible. (Edit: it said 100, which was an obvious typo- we want more than the biggest bucket in this exercise. Nevertheless, I apologize for the inconvinience)
    c) for any set of 3 buckets devise a rule to determine which volumes are possible.
    Hmm, what interesting problems.
    Some initial dicking around gave me that:
    23 = 1(105)+2(70)-6(42)+1(30)
    143 = 3(105)+2(70)-6(42)-2(30)
    make a list of the four bucket sizes and the 6 greatest common factors of every subset of two. Then I tried to construct 23 and 143 from those 10 (in this case only 9) values. Then I reduced by just adding coefficients to get the above.

problem c is the most interesting of the lot. I'll be thinking about that next time I'm bored in class. It feels to me like a cross between linear algrebra and discrete math.

I admit though, problems a and b were far from trivial. With good number choice, it may be possible to make a fun bucket-water game that is neither trivial to solve, nor impossibly difficult without paper and/or a calculator.

to clarify what I meant by the above linear combinations, the buckets are listed in size order
    [105][70][42][30]
  • edited October 2011
    Was pretty funny listening to the part about the Risk Legacy twitter convo and realizing it was my convo with Andrew Groen, and I am here to reveal how you got roped in, Rym. You retweeted a comment by Andrew about how Risk is an 8-hour boring game. I tweeted back at him, but since it was via your retweet, it went to both of you.

The entire rules are already online if you want to read more about the game. I wrote a quick news piece for MTV that basically just previewed the rules and posed the question "is this crap or is this awesome?" Can't answer that Q since the game doesn't actually release until November. Rob Daviau actually reached out to me and sent a pre-release copy to my house. It shipped yesterday, and if for some reason he paid for pricy next day shipping, I can bring it to Recess on Sat if you're coming and want to check it out in person.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Risk Legacy rules link
    Having skimmed the rules, I have one thing to say that only two people will understand.

Foxton
  • Risk Legacy rules link
    Having not read the rules at all because it's time for work, that's a pretty cool cover they've got there.
  • Foxton
    Bloody bloody fucking Foxton.
  • edited October 2011
    Foxton
    Bloody bloody fucking Foxton.
    The rest of these punk kids don't know what it was like, back in the wars.
    Post edited by Alex on

• Foxton
    I can't honestlee say I agree with that statement.
  • yeah, I solved the 3 bucket problem, and in fact the n bucket problem. The answer is that for a given set of buckets of sizes {a1, a2, ... an}, a volume of water can be made if and only if that volume is an integer multiple of the greatest common factor of every member of the set.

To do so, just Extended Euclidean Algorithm the first two. Then EEU that number with the third one and replace that number with the linear combination of the first two you got from the initial calculations. Continue until you are out of numbers, or you find a linear combination that equals one. Now multiply all coefficients by the desired quantity of water. If you feel like it, you can reduce by subtracting x uses of the bucket with size y and y uses of the bucket with size x. That is up to you though.

My math professor/advisor thought my logic was sound.
  • a1sa1s
    edited October 2011
    That seems to be correct. Good job.

One small note is that sometimes you need to keep the result of your labors so far in some bucket, even as you need it for the linear combination. I'm pretty sure this resolves itself during optimization (adding and subtracting XY liters, like you said), but even if it doesn't, you can always just pick several buckets (f.e. the biggest buckets) to be filled and work only to put the remainder in one bucket, then fill them (f.e. if in the example bucket set you needed 200 liters, you'd first get 0,25,0,0 and then 0,25,70,105).
    Post edited by a1s on
  • Xenonauts might be X-Com
    I got a chance to play this at Eurogamer, and I must say, talking to the developers and playing the game for a while, it seems like they know their X-Com, it is what they sighted for their major influence. The coolest bits I saw where the jet fighters vs alien ships, a lot of DEFCON style going on there.
  • I decided to code up my algorithm in C++. I'm a pretty inexperienced coder though so this may take a bit. At some point though expect me to post some code that will take in the sizes of any number of buckets and output a goal quantity and will output a linear combination of those numbers equal to the goal quantity.
  • http://pastebin.com/0p6W1b4n
    It works! It determines how many buckets the user wants, takes in the sizes of those buckets, takes in the desired quantity of water, determines if it is possible, and if so, prints a linear combination of the bucket sizes equal to the desired quantity. It could be made for efficient, but it tends to be extremely fast, even for unrealistically large numbers of buckets and sizes of buckets.