This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google Dart

edited October 2011 in Technology
Google releases a preview of Dart. A web programming language that looks to be a replacement for Javascript.

Let's see if they follow through. (Remember Go?)

Comments

• I'm optimistic. I'd like to see a few real things built in it, and I'd like to try it out myself, but it sounds like a good idea. The idea of a simpler language that compiles to JavaScript isn't new, however.
  • I'm optimistic. I'd like to see a few real things built in it, and I'd like to try it out myself, but it sounds like a good idea. The idea of a simpler language that compiles to JavaScript isn't new, however.
    ASP.NET does this too
    ASP.NET does this too
    I work with GWT on a daily basis. Another Google product that transcodes Java into HTML/javascript. There are many advantages to using it. I will have to try dart out and see what it brings to the table.
  • Google is so big, and uses so much technology, that even if nobody outside of Google uses Dart, it still improves the internet overall. This is the case with Google SPDY, which speeds up page loading by, as far as I'm going to explain here, magic. They put it in Chrome, and use it for any website loaded through Chrome, and a good proportion of the internet is faster for a good proportion of internet users. Amazon have also used SPDY in their Kindle Fire tablet browser, so there's another big chunk of users who will have faster internet.
  • Google is trying to replace Javascript with DART. There will be a native VM in chrome and a cross compiler for browsers that do not support the language. According to a leaked memo there are limitations in Javascript that cannot be overcome by evolving the language. Dart will have better performance, security and be better suited for large scale projects.

Can't wait to start playing with the language. Hopefully Google will turn out something useful.