This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Special 007 - Anime Marathons

RymRym
edited July 2007 in Anime
Tonight on GeekNights, we talk a bit about anime marathons.

Comments

• This is the third time today I forgot it wasn't the weekend. I asked myself, "Why is there a Geeknights today?"

You guys should switch to seven shows a week and I wouldn't have these problems.

salamon
  • edited July 2007
    My boyfriend isn't into anime. Only anime, that he considers himself to like is FF: Advent Children, only because he's a FF7 fanboy. Soon, once I move in with him, I'll make him watch Cowboy Bebop. I know (hope) he'll enjoy it. Hopefully that will get him wanting to watch more, then my plan to transform him will be complete! M'whahahaha! ^_~

As for Escaflowne tape 7, yeah.. I was pretty much in angst and frustration because I had to wait a few days to rent tape 8. I should buy the VHS, even though I own the DVDs, only because the artwork on the VHS is that damn awesome.

Most of my first anime marathons came to just watching them by myself, but now I mostly watch anime with friends whenever we have an anime night. We don't necessarily go through marathons, we normally watch a dvd or 2 of a few series.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • It has been too long since we've had a real anime marathon. I may have to schedule one. My first anime marathon was DBZ. I watched every episode in one three day weekend. I started Thursday night and couldn't bring myself to go to class on Friday. I finally finished it lat Saturday and it was awesome.
  • I've never had a marathon but I fully plan on watching Trigun this weekend. All 26 of 'em. Either that, or all of bebop.
  • Trigun was my first marathon, mainly because I couldn't stop, much like Rym and Scott's description of their Bebop marathon it was an accidental marathon. I highly recommend it as a marathon show.
  • edited July 2007
    Serial Experiments Lain is a great anime for a marathon, it's only 13 episodes long and the story is so dense, that watching it all in one run, helps you understand it better.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • So this is what a Special show is like on GeekNights. Cool stuff.
  • A group of friends and I are starting our own Anime night, starting tonight and every Thursday. The first time I every really Marathoned an anime it was Kannazuki No Miko. After the Evangelion podcast however, I immediately marathoned the series, watching the Alternate endings first. One of my friends is obsessed with Bleach, and put that suggestion into the "Sombrero o' Justice." I pray that it doesn't get chosen, just too many episodes to watch, and I don't wanna spend several months covering the series. Oh well, least he didn't through Naruto in there as well.
  • Serial Experiments Lain is a great anime for a marathon, it's only 13 episodes long and the story is so dense, that watching it all in one run, helps you understand it better.
    That's one of those shows that can really fuck you up for a few days when you marathon them. Same with Satoshi Kon stuff. I marathoned Paranoia Agent, and it just all felt like a bad dream afterwards.
  • edited July 2007
    Well I picked up 6 DVD's yesterday that I plan on Marithoning. I've no idea if it's any good, but I'll be watching Full Metal Alchemist this weekend.

Also, is this the Escaflowne I want to watch?
    Post edited by MitchyD on
  • Serial Experiments Lain is a great anime for a marathon, it's only 13 episodes long and the story is so dense, that watching it all in one run, helps you understand it better.
    That's one of those shows that can really fuck you up for a few days when you marathon them. Same with Satoshi Kon stuff. I marathoned Paranoia Agent, and it just all felt like a bad dream afterwards.
    Yeah, I completely know what you mean. I remember marathoning Lain, and then being extremely disoriented afterward. It was like seeing new colors.
  • edited July 2007

Also, is this theEscaflowneI want to watch?
    Yes. I suggest watch the series before the movie. The movie is really really pretty, and that's all I can really say about that.
    Post edited by Rochelle on

• Yes. I suggest watch the servies before the movie. The movie is really really pretty, and that's all I can really say about that.
    The Escaflowne series and movie are completely different and unrelated. Sure, it is the same characters, but that's about it. I suggest you watch the 26 episodes TV series first, then watch the movie later. The movie is still a good movie, don't get me wrong, but it has nothing to do with the show. Think of the movie as alternate universe Escaflowne. The reason to watch the show first is because the movie does spoil a few things in the show, even though it is not the same world.
  • The last anime marathon I had was for Sherlock Hound. A friend of mine has Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex. I might borrow it from him so I can marathon watch it.
  • The latest marathons I had were, "Avatar the last air bender" thats 40 something episodes in four days (don't really know if it counts) and "Dr. House" seasons one and two (thats like 40 episodes or so, each episode is about 46 minutes) in more or less one week. Both are really good
  • I had a bad sting of marathons . . . .hack//Sign, Fushigi Yuugi, and Final Fantasy Unlimited. All of these were 1st watches.

Rurouni Kenshin made a decent marathon, though . . . until I got to the third season.

More recently, I made the catastrophic error of marathoning Gundam SEED Destiny. It was among the worst decisions of my life.
  • That will turn your brain into mush, it's like doing a Panyo Panyo Digi Charat marathon, you won't be the same afterwards...
  • edited July 2007
    I had a friend watch all 26 episodes of Vision of Escaflowne by himself. To me that just seem a little wired. To Marathon a show with all your friends is one thing but to Marathon a show by yourself is something else.
    Post edited by N15PCA on
  • edited July 2007
    I am now seriously considering doing marathons of all the shows I lost interest in half way though. Probably the first being Emma.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I had a friend watch all 26 episodes of Vision of Escaflowne by himself. To me that just seem a little wired.
    Aw, come on. Don't make me feel bad. None of my friends are anime fans AT ALL, so I'm going to marathon alone...
  • To fully embrace the teachings of the GETTER RAYS, I demand you watch all of New Getter Robo in one sitting.
  • edited July 2007

To fully embrace the teachings of the GETTER RAYS, I demand you watch all of New Getter Robo in one sitting.

I am with you, I for one I am marathoning this show again and it only get 100000 times better :P

as Daryl Surat once said "This is a manly show for manly guys and if you do not like it then you Sir have no Penis!"

Post edited by Erwin on
  • I wish I had listened to this episode before me and my friend embarked on our perilous quest to watch Utena in one go. Needless to say it failed miserably. For a few hours in the middle we'd have to switch to the dub because our minds couldn't figure out what our eyes were reading but then we realized that the dub was terrible and we carried on trying to figure out what was going on. And the worst part about it was that we fell apart and stopped six episodes from the end, which at that point I had given up entirely and stolen the dvds to analyze the last six episodes on my own. Which also failed miserably. For the last few days I've had the scat version of the OP stuck in my head.

There was a time a while back when I watched the last twenty episodes of Rose of Versailles in one sitting but by accident. Ugh. I didn't even mean to finish it all.

The 13 episodes shows are probably the best to marathon because they are so short. When I watched all of Paranoia Agent in one go I didn't even realize that I just watched the whole show until I realized I didn't have any more dvds.
  • edited July 2007
    The only Anime I have watched in marathon form is Jyu Oh Sei as It was too compelling to stop watching after the first episode had me hooked. Plus, it was only 11 episodes. I told my friend Bunnikun(she's in the forum) to watch it and she took my good word for it. The next day I ask her how many episodes she watched, and she told me she watched them all in one night!
    Post edited by letseatcake on
  • I haven't really done that meny marathons for a couple of years now, but I love it when I do!

Not only does it mean you get the whole story it means that you won't always be meaning to watch that last couple of episodes of a series. Plus its a cheap way to spend your holiday's off work.

I've seen more than a few in the past, to name a few off the top of my head:
    Azumanga Daioh, Black Lagoon 1st & 2nd raid, Cowboy Bebop, Devilman Lady, Excel Saga (turns out is better in smaller chunks), Full Metal Panic!, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (both series in 1 week), Initial D: 1st Stage, 2nd Stage, 4th Stage (boy was the 4th Stage a improvement it animation), Neon Genesis Evangelion, Street Fighter II V (which took effort), Onegai Teacher (Yes I know but I like it, say's a man with a Jubei Kibagami tattoo on his leg).

As you can tell I've seen a few, and they are just the tip of the iceburg. I now only really get the chance to see shorter marathons of OVA's, 12 episodes are better for me at the moment (unless I'm not going away when I have some time off work). Saying that though I finally got round to marathoning Welcome to the NHK last week, Much better to keep going on and on with a series like that, much like watching all of Genshiken in on sitting feels great.
  • usually I marathon a series like Erueka Seven (warning if you watch this whole show at once the middle will make you really really sad) or FLCL but every once in a wile ill just watch a whole bunch of unrelated shows.