This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine has been on Netflix Streaming for a little while now. Who's been watching? What are your thoughts?

My contention: DS9 (especially the later seasons) is the best of Trek. TNG was enjoyable, but just couldn't create the same kind of drama. The moving setting didn't lend itself to continuing plots, and there was precious little character development. In DS9, the stationary setting allows for long-term story arcs, the characters change and grow (and die), and many episodes treat with issues like colonialism, personal and racial identity, and terrorism. Add in the usual campy holodeck episodes, more incomprehensible technobabble, and a Cardassian tailor - what more could one desire from Star Trek?

Note: Please use spoiler tags for discussion. I'm watching this with someone who hasn't seen it before, so I'd rather he not be spoiled if he decides to participate in this thread.

Comments

• My contention: DS9 (especially the later seasons) is the best of Trek. TNG was enjoyable, but just couldn't create the same kind of drama. The moving setting didn't lend itself to continuing plots, and there was precious little character development. In DS9, the stationary setting allows for long-term story arcs, the characters change and grow (and die), and many episodes treat with issues like colonialism, personal and racial identity, and terrorism. Add in the usual campy holodeck episodes, more incomprehensible technobabble, and a Cardassian tailor - what more could one desire from Star Trek?
    Yea, i'm working through Next Generation currently with plans to move through all of Star Trek. I've always remembered DS9 being better in it's complex plots and character growth. This shouldn't be surprising since the series was being helmed by Ron Moore of Battlestar Galactica fame.
  • The stories were more involved in DS9, but I didn't really care for any of the characters aside from Quark and Odo.

TNG had characters I cared about, and I genuinely disliked The Collector for what he did to Data.
    Whereas I didn't really give a crap about any of the bad guys on DS9 since they weren't threatening anyone I cared about.
  • I barely started this series, but I liked what I saw. I'm more of a TNG gal all the way.
  • The stories were more involved in DS9, but I didn't really care for any of the characters aside from Quark and Odo.

TNG had characters I cared about, and I genuinely disliked The Collector for what he did to Data.
    Whereas I didn't really give a crap about any of the bad guys on DS9 since they weren't threatening anyone I cared about.
    While he wasn't a regular character, I loved Garrick, the Cardasian tailor/spy, and his interactions with Sisko and the rest of the crew.
  • I've been watching about 2-3 episodes a day for a while now.
  • Picard would make Sisko his bitch.
  • Picard would make Sisko his bitch.
    Did you even watch the first episode? If Picard didn't out-rank him, Sisko probably would have killed the guy.
  • If there was a slash fic (well I am sure there is, infact I am sure there are MANY) Picard would be the top...