This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20111024 - Amazon Web Services

edited October 2011 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, as it's a big part of Scott's job, we talk about the Amazon Web Services in a general sense. In the news, Anonymous targets child pron sites (closer to Scott's suggestions for impressive hacks), and Ice Cream Sandwich cometh alongside the Galaxy Nexus. Rym is also disappearing for Japan for some weeks, but this should not interrupt your regularly scheduled GeekNights.

Download MP3

Comments

• And here I thought by "Sting" you meant the musician.
    When I saw the link to that, I also assumed a different Sting. I was surprised.
    When I saw the link to that, I also assumed a different Sting. I was surprised.
    That was a dark day for those of us who were fans of the NWA. Unfortunately, it wouldn't be the last time...
  • You know you're a wrestling fan when you say "Sting" and by default mean the wrestler. He's still going, actually, and currently doing a take on the Heath Ledger Joker. I guess he got sick of doing a takeoff of the Crow. I won't launch into my usual rant here, but for God's sake, Scott, have you ever used a Zune? They're perfectly good mp3 players, the whole line, and the software is fine too. I'll leave it at that until I finally feel up to opening up a flamewar thread ;)
  • Zunes > iPods as someone who used both Zune kicked the iPod's ass! Seriously the 2nd model Zune's UI is just awesome and still wonder why in the world it never took off.
  • Zunes > iPods as someone who used both Zune kicked the iPod's ass! Seriously the 2nd model Zune's UI is just awesome and still wonder why in the world it never took off.
    Zune didn't have a strong marketing as the iPod, and that affects people more than anything else. In a blind taste test, people always prefer Pepsi, but Coke has been outselling Pepsi for decades.
  • edited October 2011
    still wonder why in the world it never took off.
    No it's not. Windows Media Player is the reason.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • still wonder why in the world it never took off.
    No it's not. Windows Media Player is the reason.
    What does a program that has nothing to do with the player have to do with it not succeeding?
  • edited October 2011
    What does a program that has nothing to do with the player have to do with it not succeeding?
    Zune syncs(or used to sync) with WMP, iirc, and the interface was supposedly terrible and buggy. Everyone I knew who had a Zune loved the device itself but eventually traded in for an iPod because the computer side was such a pain. Even if it's better now, too little too late.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • What does a program that has nothing to do with the player have to do with it not succeeding?
    Zune syncs(or used to sync) with WMP and the interface was supposedly terrible and buggy. Everyone I knew who had a Zune loved the device itself but eventually traded in for an iPod because the computer side was such a pain.
    Um.....no. There was a way to hack Zunes to sync with outside programs but it was only the original 30 gig Zunes and you had to do it before you let the Zune software update it even once because it was only in the very original firmware that you could do it. I think people found a way to do it with the Zune HD as well because I've seen Doom running on Zune HD and such but I never looked too deeply into it.

There is a separate Zune program that all Zunes on WIndows need to be able to sync content, and apparently once upon a time that was no good, but by the time I got in on the Zune thing(just a little bit before the HDs launched) the software was mature and it works well for all the things you expect such a program to do, and it doesn't cause epic lockups on my machine like iTunes always does.
  • None of this shit matters anymore babies. iPods/Zunes are obsolete. That shit is included in your phone now. And iPhone is king when it comes to also being a portable media player. None of the other major smart phone OSes even come close. Also, Zune is dead!
  • None of this shit matters anymore babies. iPods/Zunes are obsolete. That shit is included in your phone now. And iPhone is king when it comes to also being a portable media player. None of the other major smart phone OSes even come close. Also, Zune is dead!
    There's still a lot of people who don't have smart phones or don't want to pay to let their kids have smart phones. There's also people who don't want to risk them while working out. Given the number of cracked iPhones I see, I don't blame them. Mp3 players may not be what they once were, but they are still alive, and Sandisk is feeling so good about the market that they released a new player in September. The Clip Zip has a full color screen and (finally) supports AAC so I can save people from buying Shuffles.
  • None of the other major smart phone OSes even come close
    Winamp on Android is pretty good. And Spotify on Android.
  • Do you work for Sandisk, Hitman? You're like a walking advertiser for their portable media products.
  • Do you work for Sandisk, Hitman? You're like a walking advertiser for their portable media products.
    No, I work for Best Buy, mostly in the mp3 player section. I know way more about Sandisk players than the rep they send to my store, though.
  • I'd use my sandisk Mp3 player more if I was going to be in places where I didn't want my phone to die out on me. (like camping)
  • This episode still not in NZ itunes directory :/

Might have to listen online.
  • edited October 2011
    This episode still not in NZ itunes directory :/

Might have to listen online.
    Try adding the Monday RSS feed to get it.
    It's here!
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on