This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Movember: Grow your hair for cancer! aka Beard Wars!

Comments

• Just put some lotion on your skin/beard where it itches. If its unbearable, dab some rubbing alcohol on the itch.
  • Just put some lotion on your skin
    Yessss, it puts the lotion on its skin.
  • Just put some lotion on your skin/beard where it itches. If its unbearable, dab some rubbing alcohol on the itch.
    What kind of lotion? I could only find hand lotion. I have been unable to find lotion for face or lotion for my head. Can someone link to one?
    What kind of lotion? I could only find hand lotion. I have been unable to find lotion for face or lotion for my head. Can someone link to one?
    Go for one of the fragrance free moisturizing lotions. Curel is generally pretty good.
    Damned right - Just because you're manly, doesn't mean you can't moisturize.
  • I normally just rock the goatee, but I'd be willing to just let the rest grow out for a month and see what happens. I'll have to get permission from the lady though.
  • Another enthusiastic participant -
  • Since I already have a beard, I'll maybe convert it to something different.
    Go for one of the fragrance free moisturizing lotions. Curel is generally pretty good.
    Will that work on my head and my face?
  • edited October 2011
    Just put some lotion on your skin/beard where it itches. If its unbearable, dab some rubbing alcohol on the itch.
    Will that work on my head and my face?
    Yes. I use Curel when I want a good all-area lotion. It's particularly good when my nose or chin are itching and won't stop. It's pretty good about being non-greasy, too... Start with a little, rub it in, and if you need more you can always add. I am very snobby about my lotions. Not surprisingly, the scented Bath & Body store crap is usually shitty, greasy crap that starts to smell terrible after about 30 minutes. I usually go for something unscented or olive/aloe scented because they're nice and neutral. For you, I would stick to unscented and simple. I like the Curel because it is soothing, absorbs, and doesn't give you any weird burning or tingling. My (different brand) face lotion DOES tingle a little, but that is because I use it for a slightly different purpose.

Oh, and you don't have to get the one I linked to. The regular moisturizing one is fine too.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • My go-to lotion is Gold Bond Ultimate Shea Butter or the other Ultimate lines. I have 4 bottles that I use: work, 2 at home, and 1 in my purse.
  • edited October 2011
    Anything that raises the beard count is my cup of tea. ~
    But sometimes, it just, well, doesn't work.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Gold Bond Ultimate Shea Butter
    ...That's a real thing? Interesting.
  • Anything that raises the beard count is my cup of tea. ~
    But sometimes, it just, well, doesn't work.
    That's about how it goes for me.
  • It's midnight, I'm shaving now and then the mustache shall grow!
  • George, unless you shave tomorrow too, that's a false start.
  • Fuck it's still October! Brain no worky. :(
  • George, unless you shave tomorrow too, that's a false start.
    You may want to do this, going clean shaven from full beard is not so nice.

My beard is ready.
  • My beard is ready.
    As is mine.
    And now, More songs from the Beards.

• Despite having really dark brown hair, I've noticed my beard is approximately 25% redish/auburn with a lone gray hair growing dead center of my chin.
  • Despite having really dark brown hair, I've noticed my beard is approximately 25% redish/auburn with a lone gray hair growing dead center of my chin.
    I gots a few grays. Well on my way to being a hasidic jew.
    Jeremy is like this as well along with some light brown to dark blonde hairs.
    I gots a few grays. Well on my way to being a hasidic jew.
    I find more and more everyday, but I think I'm going to give up plucking them. I really don't care as much anymore. I've had gray hair since I was 16 or so. I'm used to it.
  • edited October 2011
    Ok, just joined, will shave tomorrow. I see if I can rock either a fu-manchu, handlebar, or friendly chops. Perhaps one like Tom Selleck?

I have white/gray hair everywhere.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • I will not be participating, but I will be checking up on y'all to see who looks can and can't rock the stache.
  • Beard shaved, after 11 years of a full beard (or at least as much as I can grow) I look like a different person, and I really don't like it.
  • Ok, so I'm starting to get into the zone where the mo hairs are going over the lip and eventually into the mouth. What do I do about this? I don't want to cut or trim anything so to have the biggest and manliest beard that is guaranteed to come naturally and be better than all of yours. I try combing them to point sideways, but they fall down again and go every which way.
  • Mustache wax?
  • Mustache wax?
  • Yeah... probably not.
  • I was chatting to my girlfriend about this today. One year I'll grow a mo, but this year I'm away on a work trip for the whole of November. Most people don't have to worry about facial hair at work, but I have to look presentable on stage! I