This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Panelburg aka Oh Shit Viga Started a Webcomic Yall!

edited November 2011 in Manga/Comics
The only way to practice and exercise comic making is to make comics. So here I am doing that thing.
Panelburg
I'm only updating Tuesdays for now. School is in session and it's an achievable schedule for me. Also, if anyone can point out things to improve from art, funny-ness, or site design I'd like that. I feel excited and nervous about it somehow.

Comments

• Yup! Keep it up at that quality and I'll subscribe for sure.
  • I like it.
  • I'll try and not be a dick about it. The punch-line was totally wasted on me, I don't get it. I suppose, when I think about it, that I get what you were going for, but I think it could to with a bit of re-writing.

When you say 'murderous guro shota-con rapist', I don't necessarily get the impression she acted on those impulses. If she can control those, she's not a horrible person, and thus the shooting feels unjustified. If you changed 'five time murderer and child rapist' I would think they would be horrible.

On the punchline; I didn't get at all why she was shot, or why I should think it was funny. This is easy to solve by adding "I don't like you." or "I'll be a dick if I want."

Now, I won't get into plot-holes, because I should just ignore those for the sake of art. Suffice to say, didn't make me laugh, but with a little spit shine, I think it could. I'll say this, you're a better person then I am for making something, while I made nothing.
  • Not to be a stick in the mud, but do you plan on continuing using photobucket to host your comics?

I only ask because for some stupid reason my work blocks photobucket, but not imgur or imageshack. It's beyond me.

I'm just being selfish because I mostly do the bulk of my internet consumption/webcomics during work hours. There are other webcomics that use photobucket to host their comics, and since I can't see them at work, I honestly forget about them. I know I can always just keep it on my reeder feed and view it at home.

In regards to your actual comic, I can relate to what I consider the main character in wanting to sometimes punch a person but I have no idea what a 'guro shota-con' person is.

Who/what is your primary target audience?
  • I have no idea what guro shotacon is either, but I first read the comic on my iPhone, and that text was so small I couldn't read it. I just presumed it was a snarky comment, and liked the comic timing at the end.
  • I have no idea what a 'guro shota-con' person is.
    I assume it means someone who likes seeing little boys cut in pieces. Wouldn't that be shota guro con though?
  • Not to be a stick in the mud, but do you plan on continuing using photobucket to host your comics?
    I was because I can have an account and lock it there to avoid anyone seeing the buffer. I didn't see that setting in imgur and never tried imageshack. I'll try another host so it can be more accessable. Thanks for telling me.

In regards to your actual comic, I can relate to what I consider the main character in wanting to sometimes punch a person but I have no idea what a 'guro shota-con' person is.

Who/what is your primary target audience?
    It's two genres of manga I really hate. Changing it to Bronzdragon's suggestion would make it more understandable to those who don't know those terms.

The audience I had in mind was anyone who likes comics. The whole plan is to have one pagers, short stories and longer form stories of mine on the site.

Thanks, everyone! This is much appreciated for a first timer like me.

I'll say this, you're a better person then I am for making something, while I made nothing.
    No one is better or worse. You're a cool guy for giving me honest criticism. In school we learn the different between construct crit and being an ass, and you are not an ass. ^_^ I want to use your suggestion since more people would get it.
  • Huzzah! Fuck that video. As Andrew (I think) said it best, it's being a dick itself.
  • So I changed panel 6. I think it works better. Thanks Ro and Bronz.
  • I don't understand what you're going for with the gradient tool. I would take it out and instead make a simple background for all of the panels except for the close up shots.

For the high angle shot, I'd make her legs go smaller kinda like a v. I think you should google high angle camera shot for a reference. I appreciate that you're going for different angles.
  • I don't understand what you're going for with the gradient tool. I would take it out and instead make a simple background for all of the panels except for the close up shots.
    I think you should keep doing what you are doing. If you take advice like that above, you'll end up with a generic style. Break some rules, play with shading and background, do what you want.

• I was going for a spotlight as if this was a stage show, thus the gradients at the ends of the circle.

I looked up tons of camera shots to use in the future. Thanks for the tip.
  • You should definitely not try to change your comic to make it funnier to a wider range of people. Humorous strip-based web comics are successful because they are niche and only funny to people of a particular culture. The comics that try to be funny to the whole of society end up being so lowest common denominator they are no longer funny. That is why modern newspaper strips are almost all crap.

Also, if I've learned anything about web comics, the number one most important thing is to make a lot of them and always stay on schedule. Not because readers will be upset if they miss a strip, but because to build your skills you need to keep at it and never stop.
  • I think you should keep doing what you are doing. If you take advice like that above, you'll end up with a generic style. Break some rules, play with shading and background, do what you want.
    Wow that was hurtful. I can see why you'd say that though. If you follow that rules you do come out with generic results. But if you follow the rules you have a foundation which gives you have a better idea on what rules to bend and break.
  • I think you should keep doing what you are doing. If you take advice like that above, you'll end up with a generic style. Break some rules, play with shading and background, do what you want.
    Wow that was hurtful. I can see why you'd say that though. If you follow that rules you do come out with generic results. But if you follow the rules you have a foundation which gives you have a better idea on what rules to bend and break.
    The very things that stood out to me about Viga's comic immediately, and looked better on the small iPhone screen than it did when I looked later on my laptop, was the lack of background and the gradient. Vingeting in photos to bring attention to the center of the image is overdone 99% of the time, but in this comic it worked well, to bring the focus to the face or the lifted hands.

The two things you wanted her to change? Two things that immediately made her art style stand out from other new comic illustrators.
  • You should definitely not try to change your comic to make it funnier to a wider range of people. Humorous strip-based web comics are successful because they are niche and only funny to people of a particular culture. The comics that try to be funny to the whole of society end up being so lowest common denominator they are no longer funny. That is why modern newspaper strips are almost all crap.
    Errrr... but there is a wide range in the spectrum of mass appeal to extreme niche appeal. Generally the key to a good humor comic is to appeal to you even if you don't understand the references in the joke, so it means it has to have some sort of more general universal appeal. (that is a well written joke) Viga had to have done at least a decent job because Luke Burrage couldn't even read the txt and he found the strip funny. Penny arcade is great about that. For example a recent comic about I believe the PS3 game Uncharted 3, I may not know anything about Uncharted 3, and I really don't but the comic is funny because the joke is he's trying to convince the people trying to kill him that they all would be better off fighting somewhere with better safety conditions. The concept is funny and should be entertaining to people regardless of whether they know anything about Uncharted 3 (or collective bargaining). The joke is universal and can be applied to many different topics. They could have been extremely specific with their dialogue to make it more in reference to Uncharted 3, but instead it is done in a way that it is understandable to all and at the same time can appeal to the fan of the video game directly.
  • So this weeks comic is kinda relevant to the beard and mustache growers. It's also the first short story.

It differs in look to the first one since I did these three comics first.
  • You have good pacing in the second comic. I like the middle two rows. The last frame could used some more playing with. Like changing the camera angle or something with her body language or expression to reflect her new learning.
  • Learning? I kinda don't get what you mean? Like making her angrier?
  • edited November 2011
    I'm suggesting that you give her an expression she would make on recalling that earlier conversation. If it were me, I'd give her an expression of mild disgust.
    Post edited by Ametto on