This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Computer Tutoring

edited November 2011 in Technology
Ok, so splitting this off from the other thread. Had first test run tutoring session thanks to Natakou2001. I think it went pretty well considering I have no tutoring experience whatsoever. Technology worked well, but it was just Skype and a shared terminal. Might have a harder time if we need a real shared desktop or shared whiteboard.

I learned quite a bit. Mostly that I need to have an actual lesson plan. Because I am so familiar with the tutorial I can mostly follow a logical progression from the bottom up, but it's hard to avoid tangents and it's easy to miss things. Also, Natakou is a pretty smart tech dude, so he didn't need to ask many questions. Then again, it was only for an hour, so I didn't make it to the more advanced topics. I also feel like the value of live personal tutoring is the interactivity and if it isn't interactive enough, the student might be better off with books or instructional videos. Then again, sometimes people just learn better talking to a real person. I know a live lecture works better on me than a video lecture, which I can sleep through.

If anyone else wants a free lesson on any technology in which I am very proficient, just send an email to apreche@frontrowcrew.com and we can schedule a time. I'm going to give one free lesson to anybody who wants one. If anyone likes it enough to continue, we can negotiate compensation on an individual basis. I see people charging between $25 and $120+ per hour for computer programming tutoring in NYC.

If I even get $50 and do five hours a week, that's $1000 a month (before taxes). That's not enough to live on, but it's a huge boost to an existing income. I don't even need the moneys, but if this is seriously going to become a thing I want to charge so that I only get people who are going to take it seriously enough to pay real moneys for it. Not going to waste my time on some punk kid doing it for the lulz. Maybe I'll put half the moneys into child's play and half into my own 401k. Market is low, time to buy.

Here are the first topics that come to mind copy/pasta'd from the other thread.

Computers from the ground up
Git
Amazon Web Services
Linux using/administrating
LAMP stack administration/configuration
Programming in Python, or other languages I know
HTML, CSS, JS
Something else I'm really good at that I forgot to list.

I always complain that our society is doomed because people don't know shit about computers. Now I'm at least trying to do some small thing about it.

Comments

• I could take a lesson from you. I just need to first come up with what I want the lesson of. Programming always interests me, but I know basics already and I rather use that valuable hour to learn something completely new and useful.
  • Oh mans, I'm so gonna take advantage of this once I can think of a subject~
  • edited November 2011
    Programming always interests me, but I know basics already and I rather use that valuable hour to learn something completely new and useful.
    Learning programming from a veteran is a must. Don't underestimate the value of having a good tutor or good source to learn programming from. I think this is a very valuable use of your hour.
    Post edited by Bronzdragon on
  • Don't underestimate the value of having a good tutor.
    Yo teach me good programming practices *trollface*
  • Programming always interests me, but I know basics already and I rather use that valuable hour to learn something completely new and useful.
    Learning programming from a veteran is a must. Don't underestimate the value of having a good tutor or good source to learn programming from. I think this is a very valuable use of your hour.
    Does this look veteran enough?
    That man has taught me on university, so I'd say that I can manage there. Surely I could learn a lot from Scott no doubt, but I rather take something that I can add as a new thing when I make applications for next summers summerjobs.

• You would be surprised how much you can learn, and how little you can learn, in just one hour. The idea is that it is a free trial for longer term learnings.
  • edited November 2011
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I'd love to learn how to use BASH better. I really don't know what I'm doing at a command line.
  • I'd love to learn how to use BASH better. I really don't know what I'm doing at a command line.
    I can help you with this.
  • Bash is something I'd love to learn too. But for some reason, as soon as I'm running things in the terminal, I lose all confidence, and imagine any mistake will fuck my computer up. And I'll have no idea what happened.
  • edited November 2011
    Bash is something I'd love to learn too. But for some reason, as soon as I'm running things in the terminal, I lose all confidence, and imagine any mistake will fuck my computer up. And I'll have no idea what happened.
    It's true! That is the UNiX way of things.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I would like a crash course basics on computing. Like really basic, my schools IT program was 6 weeks of hour long lessons with a teacher that didn't understand computers himself. The only problem I would have is the fact that I am horribly dyslexic and prone to derpery.
  • I would like a crash course basics on computing. Like really basic, my schools IT program was 6 weeks of hour long lessons with a teacher that didn't understand computers himself. The only problem I would have is the fact that I am horribly dyslexic and prone to derpery.
    Do you want to know how computers work, or how to use computers?
  • edited November 2011
    I would like a crash course basics on computing. Like really basic, my schools IT program was 6 weeks of hour long lessons with a teacher that didn't understand computers himself. The only problem I would have is the fact that I am horribly dyslexic and prone to derpery.
    Do you mean starting with logic gates?

(If you don't know what I'm talking about, answer Scott's question instead)
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • How to use a computer. I can do the obvious stuff, i.e word processing, but I have no idea of how to use HTML and things like that.
  • How to use a computer. I can do the obvious stuff, i.e word processing, but I have no idea of how to use HTML and things like that.
    Well, you have to be more specific than "using a computer." Just knowing HTML isn't even close to what counts as using a computer.

What is it that you want to be able to do?
  • Well for a start not to sound like a dumbass in situations like this. What would count as the basics then?
  • Knowing to read the instructions and how to troubleshoot? Perhaps basic BASH
  • Well for a start not to sound like a dumbass in situations like this. What would count as the basics then?
    Perhaps try to think of more precise questions. Are there certain specifics you want to know about computers? What programs are good for certain tasks? Efficiency in typing and using software, like keyboard short cuts?

For me, I used the click on everything in the computer and try to figure out how it works method.
  • More than anything, all this talk about tutoring and such is lighting a fire under me to try and learn this stuff on my own. Maybe. I'm gonna go listen to some of your old shows about computers, programming, and the like before making a call on this.
  • Yeah I can understand the problem with vague questions, sorry. As a beginning I would like to understand how to make a website. As in beyond a tumbler and stuff like that, I would like to make my own website that could act as a start point for whatever projects I have in the feature.
  • Yeah I can understand the problem with vague questions, sorry. As a beginning I would like to understand how to make a website. As in beyond a tumbler and stuff like that, I would like to make my own website that could act as a start point for whatever projects I have in the feature.
    Do you want to make a static web site or a dynamic web application? A static site is just HTML and CSS, possibly with JavaScript. Think of it like making a forum post, except it takes up the entire page.

A dynamic web application is when you don't like Vanilla forums, and you want to make AmpersandForums. Or you don't like Facebook, you want to make Amperbook. That means learning programming, http, UNIX administration, databases, CSS, HTML, and JavaScript.
  • I think he wants to know how to install a CMS (and which one) and customize it. Also how to FTP and register the domain, and make it forward to his server. You could get him pretty far on the way in one hour if that's all he wants.
  • I think he wants to know how to install a CMS (and which one) and customize it. Also how to FTP and register the domain, and make it forward to his server. You could get him pretty far on the way in one hour if that's all he wants.
    Buy hosting, click "Install Wordpress" button, choose a theme, done. Srsly, its that easy.

But if you want to get more fancy I'm sure Scott will halp. :)

• Buy hosting, click "Install Wordpress" button, choose a theme, done. Srsly, its that easy.
    I meant making a theme. Also maybe something more flexible than Wordpress

• Do you want to make a static web site or a dynamic web application? A static site is just HTML and CSS, possibly with JavaScript. Think of it like making a forum post, except it takes up the entire page.

How would you go about doing this then?
  • That's what you use your one free hour to find out! But you open your text editor and start looking up some HTML/CSS reference guides or tutorials I suppose
  • Do you want to make a static web site or a dynamic web application? A static site is just HTML and CSS, possibly with JavaScript. Think of it like making a forum post, except it takes up the entire page.

How would you go about doing this then?We can cover that.