This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comipo, comic creation software

edited November 2011 in Manga/Comics
Have any of you heard of comipo? Its a program that lets anyone create their own comics, sort of like vocaloids but for comics. It has been out in Japan for about a year and recently has been ported to english. Maybe we'll see a huge spike in webcomics now?

With programs like vocaloids and now comipo, it seems like artistic talent is becoming less and less important. I'm not sure if this is a step in the right direction.

Comments

• With programs like vocaloids and now comipo, it seems like artistic talent is becoming less and less important.
    Ok, so who the heck do you think is making those character designs that you're putting in your comipo comic? The Comic Book Character Fairy?
  • With programs like vocaloids and now comipo, it seems like artistic talent is becoming less and less important. I'm not sure if this is a step in the right direction.
    doubt that person who wants to draw comics would have much use for program like comipo. But if someone wants to write comics without need to deal with an artist that could be useful. In a same way I see no need for singer to get involved with vocaloids, but for someone who wants to just compose music vocaloid could be useful.

• Vocaloid is just another synthesizer tool. It doesn't replace real singers, just lowers the barrier to entry for vocal song composition. Most things are easier these days. We don't get rid of animators or film editors just because there are simple movie making tools that everyone can use. Also, Poser has been out forever. Some people use Poser to make comics, but has it replaced traditional comic art? Nope. Also, even compared to Poser, ComiPo is super limited in the assets it gives you. Good luck finding exactly what is in your mind in their library.
    Also, artistic talent is always important. Even if the need for technical skill goes away, the people with the best ideas and the talent to execute those ideas will always gain recognition. You think that the people with hit Miku songs are talent-less? They don't have talent in singing, but they have an ear for beats!
  • I bought this for my daughter and she loves it. She can't draw very well and the software allows her to use 3D models to create manga.

I think she intends to use it more for storyboarding than anything else. She has a large collection of Figmas and Nendroids that she plans on using to create a photographic webstrip. This software allows her to easily plan out her strips.
  • edited November 2011
    That thing is amazing!
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • I think she intends to use it more for storyboarding than anything else.
    That's pretty much what I'd use it for. I paint pictures with my words, not...things that you paint pictures with, but sometimes I need a little help to convey an idea to someone who can draw.

Also, looking at the preview images, I'm not entirely sure there isn't a few webcomics made with this software. Well, I'd bet money that there are webcomics made with this software somewhere, but what I mean is that there are some webcomics that I think might be made with this.
  • The real suck part is that there is no way (that I know of) to import your own 3D models.
  • lso, looking at the preview images, I'm not entirely sure there isn't a few webcomics made with this software. Well, I'd bet money that there are webcomics made with this software somewhere, but what I mean is that there are some webcomics that I think might be made with this.
    ... excuse me?
  • The real suck part is that there is no way (that I know of) to import your own 3D models.
    I know, that's what really limits it. I bet they are going to sell official content packs to make money, but seriously, if you only have a few models to work with, everyone will identify them so dang fast.

• lso, looking at the preview images, I'm not entirely sure there isn't a few webcomics made with this software. Well, I'd bet money that there are webcomics made with this software somewhere, but what I mean is that there are some webcomics that I think might be made with this.
    ... excuse me?
    Here, I'll explain it better. I mean, there are most certainly at least two webcomics that are made with this software, as there are many, many webcomics, made with a variety of software and/or methods. However, Looking at the preview images, I can think of a few specific webcomics which might be made, at least in part, with this software, but I do not know for sure.

• Without the Model Importing, at the moment this can only really work as a story boarding software.

Which is great for the likes of me who has the ideas but not quite the metal space bridge to get them onto paper.
  • edited November 2011
    In my opinion there are better ways to do story-boarding, even if you can't draw. Frameforge, for example, has far more to offer, but costs 400 bucks, and Storyboard Quick is 250, with Flash integration and tons of characters and props.
    Poser also works. The Beginner edition costs 45 dollars, which makes it roughly equivalent to Comipo, plus you can download and use many of the hundreds of models from content paradise. I am not a huge fan of Poser for myself, but I understand what it is useful for.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Well, I'm not saying artistic talent isn't important, but the need for artistic talent isn't as required for expressing art. If you want to make your own webcomic or music, you no longer need to be able to draw or sing or play an instrument. The barrier of entry is much lower.

Also, I never really looked into programs such as comipo, as I randomly stumbled upon this. However, if there are other programs that can do the same thing but better I might try them out. Does poser, or any other program, allow for the creation of more complicated manga-style frames, as apposed to simple sprites on background in different dimensions of rectangles?
  • edited November 2011
    You use poser to make the art and then another program to arrange it on the page, like manga studio. Both are made by Smith Micro, and for 100$ you can get both of them.
    Also, like I said, talent is always required. It may not be talent in drawing, but rather in expressing an idea. You could have the best art creation tool in the world, but if you can't tell a story, it is all for naught. There aren't AIs with imagination yet.
    Post edited by gomidog on