This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

SOPA / Protect IP

edited November 2011 in Politics
Ok, this is serious guys. Congress is having hearings today on the worst law ever. Worse than the COICA or any of its previous incarnations. If it goes through, we will need to move to another country and get a new Internet. Not an exaggeration.

http://americancensorship.org/

Comments

• edited November 2011
    Signed.

Are they voting on this shit today? Do I need to get my papers and plans ready to defect?
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Signed.

Are they voting on this shit today? Do I need to get my papers and plans ready to defect?
    Not voting today, but there is a hearing today. I'll find the C-SPAN information.

• I can't watch it here anyway. Keep me posted.
  • I can't find the C-SPAN info. Maybe they aren't going to show it?
    It wouldn't surprise me in the least after all the fucked-up shit that went down with the ACTA hearings.

Does anyone else the the irony in that statement?

• Didn't they also block the anti SOPA groups from being involved?
  • If the bill passes and is not vetoed, our government as a whole has failed us. The Constitution itself is forfeit.
  • Didn't they also block the anti SOPA groups from being involved?
    Except Google.
  • Signed and passed along. Basically, if you like the internet, sign that shit!
  • E-mail sent, called and left a message with my congressperson.
  • Sent, for I think the third time, and passed along.
  • I signed the petition a couple of days ago. If you sign up with MoveOn.org, they will update you on a lot of injustices and give you ways to participate against nonsense legislation. Be warned, you will get a lot of e-mail from them.
  • Fight this fight. We did a good job killing the CBDTPA, and we can kill this one too if we really, really care.
  • Fight this fight. We did a good job killing the CBDTPA, and we can kill this one too if we really, really care.
    Now I'm imagining Care Bears fighting this in congress.
  • edited November 2011
    Emails sent, tweets administered, and congress-voicemail-boxes filled. I really hope they don't fuck this up.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • I'm cross-posting this in two threads because I can.

This video illustrates everything we are about. There is the message of the video itself, contrasting the music with the footage to make a statement about the police brutality and the occupy movement. But on the higher level, it shows how our generation combines, remixes, and redistributes copyrighted materials into new works of art as our primary method of artistic expression. Our political speech itself takes the form of breaking copyright law.

The battle against the 1% as well as the battle against copyright are all part of the same thing. Our Internet generation functions as per the Internet, in a distributed and cooperative structure. The fundamental battle that is occurring is the old generation fighting to maintain its centralized hierarchical control structures in the face of our generations' distributed culture.

We can't lose if we are patient. The old people will eventually all die. We just have to fight hard enough to prevent the world from burning until our day arrives. But at that time, my greatest hope is that not only will we solve the problems of our generation, but that we will be the first to recognize, respect, and also resolve the problems of the next generation so that they do not have to wait until we die. Thus breaking the cycle of human history that has repeated for millenia.
  • I'm against this as someone who's livelihood depends on the internet but I'm for it in it's current form (IE: A nasty bill on capital hill) as a means of showing America it's wages for kneecapping the Democrats as they did for the crime of doing it's job.
  • Conan, I couldn't parse what you said. Rephrase?
  • I'm not really on board with OWS going farther than it already has because its demands are diffuse and/or unworkable, but I would head to DC personally if this particular bill passes.
  • Conan, I couldn't parse what you said. Rephrase?
    He doesn't like the bill if it passes, but he likes that it's teaching Americans how messed up the current congress is, though this isn't a party thing like he says. The bill's proponents in the Senate are more Democrat than Republican.
  • Ahhh, thanks. Agreed, then.

shitbefuckedupyo.jpg
  • Even the bronies know SOPA is bad news.

• How come the Geeknights logo isn't censored yet?
  • How come the Geeknights logo isn't censored yet?
  • Nobody visits our site, and it's a pain in the ass. I tried to censor the forum logo, but the CSS didn't cooperate with the Vanilla CSS.
  • Even the bronies know SOPA is bad news.
    That's a good point if this passes MLP on Youtube is fucked.
  • Nobody visits our site, and it's a pain in the ass. I tried to censor the forum logo, but the CSS didn't cooperate with the Vanilla CSS.
    Ahh I figured there had to be a reason.