This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Students want to set up a gaming club.

Some students at my school want to set up a club for board and card games. Most of the students who have had my class have played and enjoyed Dixit, and a few others I know enjoy Chess, and a few others enjoy Blockus.
What I need now are suggestions for board/card games that are not overly complicated that I could possibly get a grant for in order to get games besides Chess and Checkers for the club.
I know a number of students are interested in Yu-Gi-Oh/Pokemon and other CCG's, but aside from providing them a time and place to play, I don't want to invest money into CCG's for obvious reasons. I'm not sure if games along the lines of Carcassone or Settlers of Catan would be in the interest range or difficulty range of the students as of yet, but I'm looking for suggestions.
Spot It comes to mind.
Jungle Speed would be too competitive/physical.
Remember, I teach at a school where a significant number of students suffer from mental or social disorders, or both. So anything that takes too long to explain or involves very deep levels of strategy might not catch their interest.

Comments

• For CCGs: Dominion is an obvious choice, however I don't know how much you want to spend in regards to getting their various expansions.

Simple easy to learn games: Tsuro, Oshii, Metro, and Zooloretto.
  • Dixit
    Did you read my entire post or just the title. :P
    For CCGs: Dominion is an obvious choice, however I don't know how much you want to spend in regards to getting their various expansions.
    Simple easy to learn games: Tsuro, Oshii, Metro, and Zooloretto.
    Dominion isn't a bad idea as long as I can get one or two expansions for it. I'll definitely check out the others you mentioned as well.

• I never learned to read. Actually I skimmed it and completely missed that line. I submit you edited it :-p
  • Zooloretto (no direct attacking)
    Parsely Games (cooperation/teamwork, shared goal, everyone wins or loses together)
    Hive (simple to explain)
    Oshii/Tsuro (simple to explain)
    Chrononauts (relatively simple, engaging theme)
    Villa Paletti/Jenga (no direct attacking, pseudo-shared goal)

• edited November 2011
    Fluxx might be a good one, now that I'm look around some game websites.
    The idea of playing Action Castle! with the kids amuses me greatly as well, but I wonder how their complete ignorance of Ye Oulde Texte Adventurese would affect gameplay.
    Also, on the Parsley sight, they quote Scott from "Geek Knights", and have that one Pax video of Scott doing the 'trial version' of the game.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • edited November 2011
    From what I understand, the newer release version of Fluxx are a lot different from the original game. I forget which exactly. I wasn't fully paying attention to Jeremy when he was telling me about this.

Forbidden Island: Just because it's a co-op and easy to learn/play.

Edit: If you're interested, I can just send you my copy. We really don't play it anymore and it was inexpensive. It also comes with a sheet of alternative map set ups.

Let me know.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • We used to play Robo Rally in our middle school board game club.
  • Apples to Apples and Bananagrams!
  • Blokus
    I would also look at the games that engage the creative portions of the brain, particularly those related to language skills - Big Idea, Nano-Fictionary, those things.

You can't go wrong with Jenga.

• Memoir 44.
  • @Ro - We absolutely would love any game donations if you have any you don't play anymore, as long as there are no missing pieces and the instructions are included.

In fact, if anyone has god quality board games they don't want or play anymore, I'd be happy to take them.
  • Ok. Just send me a private message with your address. I'll try to send it out soon. I'm sure we have several games that are collecting dust.

I would look in the FRC contact thread, but the search function is no good.
  • Students have commented on games I am looking at for them and have expressed genuine excitement about them.
    They want, and I quote "More games like Dixit" and not things like Life or Monopoly or CandyLand, etc.
    My plan to geekify an entire school will soon be in place.
    Soon.
  • The idea of playing Action Castle! with the kids amuses me greatly as well, but I wonder how their complete ignorance of Ye Oulde Texte Adventurese would affect gameplay.
    I've run it with kids many times. I found very quickly that if you try it with too large of a group or you don't provide an alternative activity, it won't go over very well. And don't worry about kids not catching the text adventure thing. You'll probably have a few who have some knowledge of them, but the rest will catch on. A friend of mine ran it for kindergarteners and they loved it. He went easy on them and drew a map on the whiteboard as they went, but they were able to complete it.

Some other words of advice: Memorize it (or it least know it well enough to only need the map). Get into it! Do silly voices for the characters (particularly the princess) and improvise silly responses to commands.