This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Animation Shorts and Features

Comments

• edited November 2010
    Even though kids can deal with the shock of new animation or scary things, it's the parents who don't. And they control the money. When you are young enough to only see G and PG movies, you'll usually remember them with wondrous nostalgia.
    But I go back and re-watch the Dark Crystal or Beauty and the Beast, and I swear it is not just nostalgia coloring my view. I think it is just that adult's view of what kids like is different than what kids actually like.
    Some of that great stuff still stands today. I remember watching Rocko's Modern Life when it first aired. I watched it on Netflix not too long ago. That stuff is STILL funny, even funnier as an adult.
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • :-P yourself. You just have bad taste in dubs.
    I'm not saying Phil hartman didn't radically change the character from what it was supposed to be. I'm just saying I liked his reinterpretation of Jiji better.
    I liked Hartman's performance as well! Jiji is my favorite character from the movie just because of how snarky he sounds.
  • I still actually haven't seen Kiki dub or sub, so I can't comment on that. However, I can say that the Billy Crystal Calcifer is pretty good, but still not as good as the original.
  • edited November 2010
    I still actually haven't seen Kiki dub or sub
    We need to fix that. Seriously.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited November 2010
    One vote for Phil Hartman as Jiji here. I like how snarky he sounded. I also like the billy Crystal Calcifer, but was wishing it was Phil Hartman the whole time.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • So now it's not just me who has bad taste but Viga and Sonic :-p
  • The 2010 Seoul International Cartoon & Animation Festival

The Seoul Int'l Cartoon & Animation Fest (2010) wraps this weekend, profiling inspirational and eclectic animation from the global cartoon community. The event has expanded but remains true to its mission. Screening indie and pro titles such as 'The Little Sun' (Taiwan; 2009), to short films 'Spring Comes" (Korea; 2009) and "En Agosto" (Colombia; 2008), to student films, such as "Lightmare" (France; 2009). Notably, the China feature project 'Da.Hai' (2012) looks to rival the best Asian animation has to offer (video available).

In Da.Hai, viewers are acquainted with characters and deities who are charismatic, flippant, heartbroken, stoic, and all other manners appropriate for an epic fantasy about the emotional inclinations of gods and men. Eighty percent of the physical, animation production for Da.Hai is to be completed in-house by B&T; Studio, whose staff would blossom roughly threefold to 60 or 80 artists at full production. Planet Nemo Animation (Paris, France) is contributing as well, helping raise financial support outside of China.
  • GeoGeo
    edited November 2010
    The thing is though, Japanese Jiji was quiet (like most kitties) most of the time, but when he talked he was a hilarious smart-ass with a hint of snarkiness. Hartman Jiji overstayed his welcome by laying on the snarkiness too thickly, and just yapped and yapped and yapped!
    Post edited by Geo on
  • They added dialogue for Kikki's delivery service dub and I thought that actually made it better :-p (Mainly with the cat)
    Oh God, that dub was so bad! Why did they do that to Jiji? Phil Hartman was totally miscast in my opinion. We all hate that dub in my house.
    WHAT!!! Sorry, but that dub is coated in about a foot thick coat of sepia toned nostalgia paint for me. I love those songs, I love Kirstin Dunst as Kiki, I love Phil Hartman as Jiji. It is the only, non-Disney animated movie that I will preserve as perfect in my memories, as well as in real life.
  • The Japanese songs were so much better. Imagine if they took a Disney movie you were totally nostalgic for, changed all the musical numbers and made a side character whiny. Now understand that my family watched that movie way before the dub came out and we were like "Why did they change it?" We like the Totoro dub, however, both the Fox one and the Disney one.
  • I just wanna say... I never found the Spirited Away dub to be bad or offensive. I actually liked it very much. I remember reading a magazine article in 2002 or something that stated that Lasseter had kept the dub very faithful, adding lines to silence only in instances such as having text on screen that American audiences couldn't read. Lasseter was also very enthusiastic about the film and I don't think he took the careless attitude toward it that we've seen in several past dubbings.

I dunno, sometimes I think you guys are too harsh. I wish I could find a copy of that article I read. Can you give me examples of pointlessly changed or added lines?
  • I just wanna say... I never found the Spirited Away dub to be bad or offensive. I actually liked it very much. I remember reading a magazine article in 2002 or something that stated that Lasseter had kept the dub very faithful, adding lines to silence only in instances such as having text on screen that American audiences couldn't read. Lasseter was also very enthusiastic about the film and I don't think he took the careless attitude toward it that we've seen in several past dubbings.

I dunno, sometimes I think you guys are too harsh. I wish I could find a copy of that article I read. Can you give me examples of pointlessly changed or added lines?
    At RIT we once watched the DVD with the dub and the subtitle track simultaneously (which we always did for deaf people). You will see many times where people are talking, but there are no subtitles.
  • AKA: How-they-lied-o-vision.
  • edited November 2010
    We like the Totoro dub, however, both the Fox one and the Disney one.
    Fun fact of the day: Totoro was originally distributed in the United States by Troma Studios. The same guys who brought you The Toxic Avengers... Yeah.
    Post edited by progSHELL on
  • I just wanna say... I never found the Spirited Away dub to be bad or offensive.
    I didn't think the acting was bad, but they did add some lines that I thought were totally unnecessary. The "Haku" line was insulting to the audience's intelligence and changed the scene.
  • Something beautiful:
  • edited January 2011
    That one's neat. One of my friends sent it out a couple of months ago. I think he used a lot of motion video reference, but I think it is really well done.
  • I think he used a lot of motion video reference
    I don't care!
  • I'm not saying it is bad because he used video, I'm just saying that is how he made it.
  • I like the mix here:
  • edited November 2011

Tibetan Dog. The character designs are Naoki Urasawa, the guy who did Pluto and Monster.
  • They really do look like that. He's a Tibetan Mastiff. Mastiffs are HUGE!
  • DOGMOVIEDOGMOVIEDOGMOVIEEEEEEEEE
  • I have a feeling some dog will die and I will cry a lot. A LOT.

• So cute! Werewolf story!
  • WHY DOES IT TAKE SO LONG FOR DVD'S TO COME OUT. Okay, it still has to air in theatres, but afterwards it'll still take a year before it's out.
  • WHY DOES IT TAKE SO LONG FOR DVD'S TO COME OUT. Okay, it still has to air in theatres, but afterwards it'll still take a year before it's out.
    Because first the theaters need an exclusive time period. Then pay per view needs an exclusive time period. Then HBO and other pay movie channels need an exclusive time period. Now you got non-free digital services in there too. The movie industry still works based on artificial scarcity. Still waiting for someone to have the balls to release their content in every possible format to the entire world simultaneously, like Valve games.
  • Precisely, and the most astonishing part. There's even artificial scarcity IN THOSE PERIODS. US film theatres are running film A, meanwhile in another country on the globe they still have to wait several days before film theatres start running film A. Fuck off with that god damned shit already Hollywood, I want to give you my fucking money, TAKE IT YOU WHORES. HBO too, take my fucking money so I can watch Game of Thrones and support you fucks.
  • edited July 2012
    DVD/Blu-Rays tend to come out around 3-4 months after they leave theatres in the US. That's really not THAT long of a period.
    Still waiting for someone to have the balls to release their content in every possible format to the entire world simultaneously, like Valve games.
    Yeah, that's not going to happen. Movie studios make most of their money off of ticket sales rather than the sale of DVD/Blu-Ray/Digital Copies/Rentals/whatever other forms they sell it in. With ticket sales, for the first two weeks (when films tend to make the most money), they don't split the revenue with anyone. That's why the food at movie theatres is so high, they have to make up for not getting money during the main money making period for tickets. Releasing everything all at once would severely cut into the revenue period as there would be a lot of people who would completely forgo the trip to the theatres and would instad just buy the movie (which the sale of the movie would be split between the studio, the production company (if it's a physical media), and the actual store that sells it).

TL;DR: Selling everything all at once would be bad for business, but probably great for the consumer.

Post edited by Li_Akahi on