This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

X-Large (Obesity in America Discussion)

Comments

• Well, I've had pizza in the States, and no offense, but it's really nasty.
    All health issues aside, as far as quality and taste go, American pizza varies wildly (not only regionally, but from shop to shop as well).
  • edited November 2011
    I've had it in several places in Florida and one place in Texas, but it was just... Inedible.

Now, if we're talking America as in the three continents, I may say that Colombian pizza's pretty good, and it's not just being biased. I've heard several foreign people commenting that (though of course, Italian pizza cannot be compared)
    Post edited by AndouReiya on
  • edited November 2011
    New York City has some of the best pizza. I hear Chicago makes some amazing pizza too, but I've never been there to have the original. However, some of the local imitations have been excellent.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • I've had it in several places in Florida and one place in Texas, but it was just... Inedible.
    That's not Real America. Florida has gator, and Texas does barbeque. Neither does pizza.

You want pizza, go to Brooklyn. You want meat casserole, go to Chicago.

• Fuck off with your pizza discrimination. I like pizza diversity. Fat pizza, skinny pizza, meat pizza, veggie pizza... all have value and their own unique charm.
  • Fuck off with your pizza discrimination. I like pizza diversity. Fat pizza, skinny pizza, meat pizza, veggie pizza... all have value and their own unique charm.
    I prefer the slightly greasier thin and crispy new york style of pizza, but I will accept and eat other styles. The only way a pizza gets on the bad list is if it is either just plain awful due to poor construction or low quality ingredients, or if it has any of the banned evil toppings of doom amongst which are such villains as pineapple, ham, and poop.
  • Ham is banned? How the hell is ham banned? Prucciuto, bacon, pepperoni, sausage, and hamburger: Ok. Thinly sliced ham is a no?
  • edited November 2011
    Fuck off with your pizza discrimination. I like pizza diversity. Fat pizza, skinny pizza, meat pizza, veggie pizza... all have value and their own unique charm.
    If I had my druthers, I'd round up all non-New York style pizzas and systematically eliminate them from the country.
    Ham is banned? How the hell is ham banned? Prucciuto, bacon, pepperoni, sausage, and hamburger: Ok. Thinly sliced ham is a no?
    Yeah, Scott is frequently wrong in his opinions. I mean, no ham and pineapple pizza? Un-American I say.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Scott, I have a feeling that, despite me occasionally getting my hackles up when we're on the forums, we'd probably get along pretty well in person. But no Hawaiian pizzas?

UP WITH THIS, SIR, I WILL NOT PUT.
  • Bacon, pepperoni, and such are ok. Just not ham. Pink slimy ham is no good.

Also, pineapple is amazing, just not on pizza.
  • Bacon, pepperoni, and such are ok. Just not ham. Pink slimy ham is no good.

Um, I think you're doing it wrong. It's supposed to be crispy, not slimy.

• For once I agree with Scott, but just about pineapple on pizza.
  • Yea, Fruit does not belong on a Pizza.
  • I too agree about pineapple, but ham?!?!? Salty, crispy goodness in my books.
  • You all are so closed-minded. If someone can pull it off well, I'm willing to give it a go. Just because you've never had a version you like doesn't mean there isn't one out there.

Also, Pete, you want to genocide all non-aryan pizzas, but you wouldn't kill someone who raped and murdered your daughter? You need to sort out your priorities. And also never run for office, ever.
    If I had my druthers, I'd round up all non-New York style pizzas and systematically eliminate them from the country.
    No Chicago-style? I thought we were food bros, Pete.

You broke my heart.

• edited November 2011
    Bacon, pepperoni, and such are ok. Just not ham. Pink slimy ham is no good.

Um, I think you're doing it wrong. It's supposed to be crispy, not slimy.
    On top of that, if your ham is slimy, you're eating some real shitty ham.
    For once I agree with Scott, but just about pineapple on pizza.
    I maintain that American Pineapple tastes different to here. Hawaii is reasonably similar, but still, different. Away from there, it tastes funny.
    Not that pretty much 90% of the Americans I've met know what to do with a pineapple anyway, so I'm not surprised y'all don't like it on your pizza.

For the record, I'm with Nuri on this one - Who gives a fuck where it's from, or whats on it? If it tastes good and it's quality ingredients that's good enough for me.

Seriously, I could take at least half of you out to some awesome gourmet pizza around here, and you'd have rage induced heart attacks.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I've had a fruit and Nutella pizza. If that's wrong, I don't wanna be right. However, I only had it once and I don't plan on having it again. Too sweet for me.
  • I love pineapple and ham pizza, its my favorite >_>
  • I used to eat banana and pepperoni pizza and yet, hate pineapple on pizza. Now I like spinach, goat cheese, feta, onion, chicken, bacon, mushroom, pepperoni and stuff. I'm also in the "fuck ham on pizza" camp.
  • Pineapple is the bacon of the fruit world!

Ham is a poor replacement for bacon.
  • I think the fact that you are now all discussing which is the best pizza instead of healthy living options, and that America has an obesity problem, is not a coincidence.
  • edited November 2011
    I think the fact that you are now all discussing which is the best pizza instead of healthy living options, and that America has an obesity problem, is not a coincidence.
    True facts.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • All you need to do is take some vitamins, watch your calorie intake, and eat some healthy foods sometime.
  • edited November 2011
    All you need to do is take some vitamins, watch your calorie intake, and eat some healthy foods sometime.
    Yeah, I gotta tell you guys how much this helped me. Eating whole grains made me lose a lot of weight. I mean a lot. The doctors couldn't even figure out why.

Oh yeah, IT WAS MAKING MY IMMUNE SYSTEM ATTACK MY INTESTINES.

Seriously, it's not always that easy.

Although eating well and exercising do generally contribute to wellness, some people have medical conditions that require specific modifications or treatment. Autoimmune and hormone disorders can wreak havok on your weight and wellness even if you are eating the healthiest diet ever.

People are constantly telling my roommate that she just needs to eat better and exercise. She eats pretty much the same thing I do. She exercises more than I do. And yet, she struggles to keep the weight off while I struggle to keep the weight on. The difference? I'm gluten-intolerant and she's got an adenoma on her adrenal gland. I am so fucking tired of hearing "eat a sandwich" or "she just needs to stop eating crappy food" from people who know nothing about our eating habits.

Post edited by Nuri on
  • I think that the obesity issue in american society can be attributed to a lack of self control, on an individual level and on a societal level. It's not the foods that we are eating that are really the issue, they may exacerbate the issue, but they are not the cause. American society has become one of excess, and that excessive lifestyle has blossomed into out dietary habits. Laziness and an increasingly sedentary lifestyle has inflamed the issue to the point that everyone is trying to treat the symptoms rather than the disease.

What we eat isn't an issue, its the frequency and quantity of the food that it the issue. All things in moderation. It's ok to pig out on an epic burger sometimes, but not everyday. Fast food is fine to eat, as long as you only indulge occasionally. Arguing over what constitutes a serving of vegetables is utter nonsense, and the issue isn't weather or not a kid eats some pizza, but how much and how often he eats that pizza.

Everyone is different, and telling me that I need to eat x amount of y or I'm not healthy is complete bullshit. I may not have a supermodel's body, but I feel good, I hardly get sick, and I'm generally happy with my looks. Physically, I'm fine; I'm the only one that knows what my body needs, so all the shitheads that want to regulate my diet for me can die in a fire.
  • I love how Pizza wars break out at these forums.
  • edited November 2011
    You know what else? Motherfuckers gotta get up and DO SHIT every once and a while. You go for a run every day, climb some shit, maybe even get in fights, you can eat pretty much anything.

(Note: This is not actually true. But a lot of people could stand to be more active.)
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • You all have it wrong. You can put what ever you want on it then roll it up so its like a tube of goodness and just chow down on that.