This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

X-Large (Obesity in America Discussion)

Comments

• edited December 2011
    Garbage Plate Pizza.

Nut up or shut up, motherfuckers.
    I thought I already settled this. Atlanta is where you get the best pizza.
    You straight mad because the ATL doesn't have a pizza tradition worthy of being called "Atlanta-Style Pizza."
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • When I visited Rochester and RIT I was challenged with a Garbage Plate. I thought it was a joke when someone explained it to me. It ranks up there as one of the worst meals of my life.
    USA! USA! USA!

• Garbage Plate Pizza.

I think the best way to do that would be a deep dish. Just make it a garbage plate PIE.
  • Garbage Plate Pizza.

I think the best way to do that would be a deep dish. Just make it a garbage plate PIE.
    The marriage of Garbage Plates and Chicago-style could finally end the Great Pizza Wars. The Food Families of NY and Chicago could finally be at peace.
  • Garbage Plate Pizza.

I don't know, I'd go half-way between - Thick crust, but not deep dish.

Also, there is a pizza chain here called New York Slice, who pretty much speciallise in giant slices of pizza on the cheap, and are usually found around the same sorts of places you find bars and nightclubs. Is it good? Well, about as good as it needs to be, for a pizza chain targeted at extraordinarily drunk people. That that as you will.

• Garbage Plate Pizza.

Alright, if someone can pull that off, I may finally admit to the validity of Chicago-style pizza.

• edited December 2011
    I'm sticking to my somewhat healthier Colombian food.
    Post edited by AndouReiya on
  • Garbage Plate Pizza.

Alright, if someone can pull that off, I may finally admit to the validity of Chicago-style pizza.

I'll do it, Pete. I am going to make this shit happen.

• When I visited Rochester and RIT I was challenged with a Garbage Plate. I thought it was a joke when someone explained it to me. It ranks up there as one of the worst meals of my life.
    It looks pretty fucking disgusting. I'm going to have to agree with you on this one solely based on visual appeal and the combination of ingredients.

• It's basically just a turbocharged mix of poutine and a breakfast skillet. I see nothing wrong with it, except that it has not yet been turned into a Chicago-style pizza.
  • It looks like a plate full of shitty vomit.

So, basically, just like Chicago-style pizza. :D
  • RymRym
    edited December 2011
    When I visited Rochester and RIT I was challenged with a Garbage Plate. I thought it was a joke when someone explained it to me. It ranks up there as one of the worst meals of my life.
    It looks pretty fucking disgusting. I'm going to have to agree with you on this one solely based on visual appeal and the combination of ingredients.

Most places in Rochester that make them make terrible food. I didn't like Nick Tahou's at all. Crossroads on RIT's campus (by the GCCIS building) was the only place I ever had a good garbage plate.

The plate is designed to make use of otherwise leftover kitchen food as best as possible. It's also really only targeted a person who goes into it expecting to eat a pound and a half of greasy meat and starch. If you're not looking for that kind of meal, a garbage plate is awful.

Full disclosure: I ate one 3-4 times a week when it was warm outside at RIT.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • It looks like a plate full of shitty vomit.

Burn!

• The garbage plate is definitely a culinary disaster. It's delicious in the same way that a peanut-butter-covered funnel cake is delicious.
  • There's a reason it's called "junk food."
  • edited December 2011
    It looks like a plate full of shitty vomit.

All my fellow gourmands on this board, breaking my heart. Dave, y u do dis? Pizzeria Due's pizzas are pies of hot, cheesy perfection, lovingly coated with a miraculous pizza sauce and delectable meats. The crust is a perfectly crisp cornmeal crust, baked in a manner that renders it delightfully springy, yet dry and strong enough to cradle the heaps of delicious and fresh ingredients atop it without cracking or getting soaked, like the shoulders of some delicious carbohydrate Atlas.

Thank God. I will die a True Chicagoan.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Yea, I don't know what's wrong with people on here but Chicago Style Pizza is freaking awesome. Only thing I don't like is when the pizza sauce is chunky.
  • Yea, I don't know what's wrong with people on here but Chicago Style Pizza is freaking awesome. Only thing I don't like is when the pizza sauce is chunky.
    Chunky sauce is the worst. I know of no good Chicago pizza joints using a chunky sauce. That's like putting ketchup on a hot dog.
    Chunky sauce is the worst. I know of no good Chicago pizza joints using a chunky sauce. That's like putting ketchup on a hot dog.
    Chunky sauce is awesome and so is ketchup on hot dogs.

It's just too much.

I know, that's weird coming from Captain Excess, but there is an art to topping a pizza - maintaining the proper balance of flavors and textures so as to create a culinary masterpiece.

New York pizza is like an F1 racer - lean, mean, efficient. Chicago-style is like a goddamn monster truck - an impractical spectacle that delights the yokels.

Ketchup is fucking awesome. Fuck all of you ketchup haters.

• Awesome...ketchup on hot dogs.

Pffffft, what the fuck is this noise, babby's first red hots? The sugar content of the ketchup drowns out the salty notes of your chosen encased meat. Get the fuck out of here. I love ketchup, but keep it the fuck off of my sausages.
    Yea, I don't know what's wrong with people on here but Chicago Style Pizza is freaking awesome. Only thing I don't like is when the pizza sauce is chunky.
    It's just too much.

I know, that's weird coming from Captain Excess, but there is an art to topping a pizza - maintaining the proper balance of flavors and textures so as to create a culinary masterpiece.

New York pizza is like an F1 racer - lean, mean, efficient. Chicago-style is like a goddamn monster truck - an impractical spectacle that delights the yokels.
    Where have you had Chicago-style? This is a crucial question.

• As an anti-ketchup NY-pizza voter, I feel pretty disenfranchised in this thread's two-party system.
  • Awesome...ketchup on hot dogs.
    Pffffft, what the fuck is this noise, babby's first red hots? The sugar content of the ketchup drowns out the salty notes of your chosen encased meat. Get the fuck out of here. I love ketchup, but keep it the fuck off of my sausages.
    Wait, are we talking about sausages or meat-processing-left-overs-sticks? Cause I wouldn't putt ketchup on a sausage, that's just not necessary. Or if I did, it would only be a small amount as to not drown said meat flavor.
  • edited December 2011
    Where have you had Chicago-style? This is a crucial question.
    Uno's is my primary source, but I don't count that.

I've had home-made varieties before.

I've had no fewer than 6 layovers between O'Hare and Midway, though I question the authenticity of airport pizza. Still, it seemed to be legit.

So, basically, I haven't had a "proper" Chicago-style pizza, from the city itself. I've had "export" Chicago-style pizza. The experiences I've had have lead me to believe that it's not really something that's going to be better enough for me to care about.

EDIT: Red hots are nothing special. And I went to school in fucking Rochester. I know a thing or two about hots. You want to impress me with sausage, make some bratwurst. That's right, MAKE some bratwurst. Then we can talk about whose sausage is truly superior.

Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • You guys are so cute. All this prattle about your little food disputes is nothing to the great BBQ wars of the south.

• I really love NY Style Pizza. The crispy nature appeals to me so much. However, not having true Chicago Style Pizza, I shall keep it's diginity in tact. Atleast you guys get something interesting, Southern Food lacks way more in terms of diversity and creativity. (Plus, it tends to lead on the Filled with Fat Side, which is the original topic)

Most places in Rochester that make them make terrible food. I didn't like Nick Tahou's at all. Crossroads on RIT's campus (by the GCCIS building) was the only place I ever had a good garbage plate.

The plate is designed to make use of otherwise leftover kitchen food as best as possible. It's also really only targeted a person who goes into it expecting to eat a pound and a half of greasy meat and starch. If you're not looking for that kind of meal, a garbage plate is awful.

Full disclosure: I ate one 3-4 times a week when it was warm outside at RIT.
    I made you a good garbage plate! It was Japanese/Rochester fusion cuisine where I used only recipes from my DS RyouriNavi cartridge! I made Wafu hamburg with grated daikon, Japanese macaroni salad with wasabi mayo, garlic homefry potatoes, and little kurobuta sausages, and put them all together on the plate! All we needed was some stale shokupan bread and it would have been complete.

• Emily's garbage plate was amazing.
  • Emily's garbage plate was amazing.
    Sounds it.
  • We both ate too much food that night, though.