This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Is it possible to RSS forum threads?

edited December 2011 in Technology
I want to place various forums I use into my RSS aggregator so that it shows the most recent posts in each. Is there any way to to do this?

Basically, I want to quickly browse through the recent threads in various forums without having to visit them separately.

Comments

• I'm pretty sure there were RSS feeds for all the threads in the previous Vanilla. Can't find them in this one, though.
  • Yeah, you could even RSS searches. For example, there was a page on my blog that pulled from an RSS feed of the search "user:sonic", displaying all posts by me.
  • edited December 2011
    You know why I have a job making moneys as a developer and most of you do not? I'm not smart. I don't have special knowledge. The only thing that separates you from me is that you ask questions on a forum and I just find the answer on the Internet in about two seconds.

http://vanillaforums.org/docs/syndication
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited December 2011
    You know why I have a job making moneys as a developer and most of you do not? I don't have special knowledge. The only thing that separates you from me is that you ask questions on a forum and I just find the answer on the Internet in about two seconds.
    Well, that, and a first-class education from one of the best schools in America. And Years of industry experience.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • You know why I have a job making moneys as a developer and most of you do not? I don't have special knowledge. The only thing that separates you from me is that you ask questions on a forum and I just find the answer on the Internet in about two seconds.
    Well, that, and a first-class education from one of the best schools in America. And Years of industry experience.
    Google helps more than all those combined.
  • edited December 2011
    You know why I have a job making moneys as a developer and most of you do not? I don't have special knowledge. The only thing that separates you from me is that you ask questions on a forum and I just find the answer on the Internet in about two seconds.
    Google helps more than all those combined.
    This is a rare occurrence for me to be telling you your business, but I think you've lost perspective on this, dude. It's like you said to me about comics once, you're so used to being up on this and good with this stuff, that I think you've lost a bit of perspective on what it's like to be without the knowledge and experience you have.

Not to say Google isn't great for the purpose, of course, and there are not talented people who can get to a high level that way, but I'm saying that it might not be as easy as you think. I know it's hard for me, man, I don't have a hope in hell of making something like this, even with Google's help. But for you, it's just time, and anything you don't know off the top of your head, you can Google up in an instant.

Maybe I speak out of turn or beyond my place, but that's that, either way.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • My only advantage is that I have a head start. I have been Googling for longer than Google has existed, and I remember much that I have found. I'm also really good at Googling. Even Rym is awful, and slow, at Googling.
  • I remember one of teachers in middle school telling us about internet searches used to work. When you have to plan out ahead of time exactly how you were gonna phrase it what with the boolean operators and quotes and all that; because your employer had to pay for internet by the minute and they damn sure wanted their money's worth.
  • edited December 2011
    My only advantage is that I have a head start. I have been Googling for longer than Google has existed, and I remember much that I have found. I'm also really good at Googling. Even Rym is awful, and slow, at Googling.
    I just burst out laughing a bit, you remind me of me when I'm talking about cars. Which I take the piss out of you about sometimes, I suppose - but in a good natured way, it's no worries man - but I guess I understand a little better now. Thanks Scott.

Post edited by Churba on
  • edited December 2011
    Even Rym is awful, and slow, at Googling.
    Rym, in my experience, is also awful at being a cunt.

Post edited by Not nine on
  • Um.... Thanks for the help I got the RSS working :D