This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Delicious Noms of Your Day

Comments

• Half of a meal is presentation. If you were offered two equally delicious steaks, one on a plate and one on a garbage can lid, which would you choose?
    If it's on a garbage can lid, it's probably one of those novelty sized steaks you sometimes find, and is 10X as big as the other steak. I choose the garbage can lid steak.
  • Half of a meal is presentation. If you were offered two equally delicious steaks, one on a plate and one on a garbage can lid, which would you choose?
    That's plating of the food but I see your point. I meant the aesthetics of the food itself, not everything surrounding it.
    Not only this, but there is more to food than just taste. Texture, flavor combinations, and portions are very important when it comes to well cooked food. Presentation helps the eater identify and enjoy each of these in conjunction with the actual taste of the food. Just serving a glop of food, no matter how delicious, ruins the experience somewhat.
    Oh, I know. I served as a Sous-chef for over 2 of my almost 6 years cooking at Disneyland. I know a thing or two about it. Note my original statement did qualify this is something that isn't important to me most of the time. There are times and places for well prepared, well presented awesome meals.... Just not most of the time in my world. Besides, how many foods, prepared properly, are going to look fucked up? Good aesthetics and (to a lesser extent, IMO) good presentation come hand in hand with proper cooking. ;-)
  • So Bacon and Chocolate...it actually tastes amazing together.
  • I've been on the hunt for pumpkin pie pop tarts. I think I'm just going to have to order it online because none of the grocery stores in my area are carrying it. :(
  • Ewww. One of those things that tastes delicious but looks like shit on a shingle, amirite?
    No.
  • Except for a you know. A real hotdog. Like from Rutt's Hut. Rippers all the way baby...
    A deep-fried hot dog is a "real hotdog?"

• No.
    You mean, it was not delicious? It was both ugly and unpalatable?
  • Through the happenstance of the original restaurant we wanted to go to closed down, my boyfriend and I came upon a new Greek restaurant that we'll be going to again. The menu was decent, but not as much variety as I would hope in regards to the entrees.

The appetizers however, is something else. I got their combination platter appetizer aka Big Dipper. It was pita served with 4 different spreads: skordalia (fresh garlic blended with potatoes, olive oil, & seasonings), hummus, tzatziki, and taramosalata (Greek caviar combined with bread, olive oil, onion, and lemon). It also came with two dolmadakia (dolmathes) and large amounts of feta cheese, pepperoncini, and kalamata olives. I'll let the picture show you the rest.

I got full from eating that and took the rest home.
  • Wow, I'll have to try that next time I come to Seattle.
  • Wow, I'll have to try that next time I come to Seattle.
    It's not in Seattle, but in Kent which is like 30 minutes south of it. The restaurant is Spiro's Greek Island. The website has music looping in the background that you can't turn off, so fair warning.
  • edited October 2011
    Wow, I'll have to try that next time I come to Seattle.
    It's not in Seattle, but in Kent which is like 30 minutes south of it. The restaurant is Spiro's Greek Island. The website has music looping in the background that you can't turn off, so fair warning.
    "The QuickTime plug-in needs your permission to run." <3 chrome.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • I made a buffalo brisket today. (Plus garlic mashed potatoes and braised endive.)

My first time eating/cooking buffalo, actually. Couldn't tell a whole lot of difference from beef, which kinda disappointed me. But it was still good brisket, so not too much to complain about.
  • edited November 2011

Mom made gluten-free carrot cake (with cream cheese frosting) for Nuri's birthday.

This cake represents roughly 1% of the total food mass mom prepared for today. Nuri received an ottoman filled with cookies.

Be jealous.

Also, this is why I'm fat.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Raw shellfish and raw shrimp sushi.

These are the two best tasting things I have ever put into my mouth.
  • Be jealous.

Jealous.

Man you're fat. :P
  • Be jealous.

Jealous.

Nuri ate more of it than I did. So I don't feel so bad. But goddamn that cake.

• Be jealous.

Jealous.

Nuri ate more of it than I did. So I don't feel so bad. But goddamn that cake.
    Nuri consumes more food per Kg of body mass than anyone I know... @_@
  • No.
    You mean, it was not delicious? It was both ugly and unpalatable?
    Yes. ;-;
  • Anyone have a good Guinness stew recipe?
  • I actually cooked dinner tonight.

Breaded fish fillets, mushroom risotto, and green and yellow beans with Smart Choice butter, garlic, and basil.

• I went to my work cafeteria this morning to get some boring breakfast, and stumbled upon this awesome breakfast instead.
    I couldn't resist ;-;
  • While it was rather simple compared to what I've read here, I had some beef, pasta, and one of my favorite dishes: String beans with a little cream on them. A very simple recipe that is nonetheless delicious.
  • We make a similar dish for special occasions. We just had some on Turkey Genocide Day. =D
  • Oo, do explain, please.
  • Last night I went to Seattle to meet up with friends and I had Moroccan food for the first time ever. We went to Marrakesh. It's a wonderful authentic Moroccan restaurant that just blew me away.

We had 7 people in our party and had the atmosphere was so cool. We sat around a round table on cushions. There were rugs/carpets all over the walls. It almost made me wish I brought up the game Marrakesh to play, but perhaps another time.

I thought it was very cool on how they had you wash your hands before you at. For $20 you can get a 5-course meal: appetizer, salad, bread, soup, entree, and dessert. The portions were very well sized. I enjoyed eating with my hands and all the food was delicious. I even enjoyed their mint tea. They also have you wash your hands at the end of the meal with water with orange blossoms. It smelled really good.

For my entree I had the tangine lamb with eggplant. I couldn't even finish it it because I was so full from the appetizer, salad, and soup.

So for anyone who is in Seattle, I highly recommend that place.

I think it would be an awesome place to go to before PAX whenever any FRC are here.

• This breakfast place is a secret to everybody. And some days, a person really needs a banana waffle.
  • I've seen a banana waffle like that at King's (formerly Leo's) in Newtown, CT. Also have seen similar things at the secret Boston breakfast.
  • Reminds me of the Toblerone chocolate pancakes I made a couple of days ago.

I had nothing too fancy today. Scrambled sour cream eggs for breakfast with some pita and beef and rice for lunch. But I had noodle rice. Best thing ever in rice :3
  • I made Pork Enchiladas with Boston Butt I bought at my Farmer's Market. They were really, REALLY good. Sat in a crockpot for 8 hours with a rub of Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Oregano, Goya Seasoning, Cayenne Pepper and Ancho Chili Powder + incredibly thin cut onions that melt.
  • That sounds good, Nuker.

As for right now, I'm just making a simple rib and potato broth for my mom, since she's pretty sick. Gonna have some too.