This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What have we accomplished?

edited December 2011 in Everything Else
I find myself wanting to ask this question way more than I probably should. I ask this question about my day, my life, my family, my ancestors, or even the world as a whole.

This may be incredibly vague, but I leave it as such so as not to route the conversation. I had similar inclinations towards the "bootstraps" thread, but there was a rather loaded political conversation underlying everything. I want to know what people have done that they think has made a meaningful positive change - whether personal, historical, or inevitable.

Anyone interested?

Comments

• edited December 2011
    I helped stop at least one person from killing herself. I've also spent countless hours working in healthcare, and I've done more than my fair share of loophole-finding and jumping through hoops to help the people I served. I helped build a school in Guatemala, and I've translated for people who don't know enough English to find an ER, much less explain their symptoms.

It's definitely not enough good karma to balance out all the bad in my life, but I'd like to think I'm getting there one step at a time.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I've also spent countless hours working in healthcare, and I've done more than my fair share of loophole-finding and jumping through hoops to help the people I served.
    I thought health care was unconditionally free over in Albion.
  • I've also spent countless hours working in healthcare, and I've done more than my fair share of loophole-finding and jumping through hoops to help the people I served.
    It is(mostly) if you're English. The snag is that WUB is from Chicago.

• edited December 2011
    ^^T
    I've also spent countless hours working in healthcare, and I've done more than my fair share of loophole-finding and jumping through hoops to help the people I served.
    It is(mostly) if you're English. The snag is that WUB is from Chicago.
    This. Also, the loopholes I was working were to help kids see dying relatives, and the hoops I jumped through were to help get records to kids who forgot them on their first day of school (all done by the book, but I definitely didn't have to do it). Nothing monetary, but simplifying things in a system that complex makes a big difference to a lot of people.

Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Ah the joys of the NHS, save for having to explain how you got hurt in the first place.
  • Ah the joys of the NHS, save for having to explain how you got hurt in the first place.
    Those free ambulances are a nice touch. The US needs public ambulance services.

• They are nice save for when they get stuck in a field.