This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Otakon Advice?

edited July 2007 in Conventions
Any advice for a first time con-goer? When to eat, what to bring, etc.?

And I heard a rumor that you aren't allowed to bring in large bags to certain areas of the con. Is this true?

Is it also true that you have to hide food that your bringing in? I was thinking of bringing in some Pocky for everyone (if you guys want it).

Lastly, do you have to bring a state ID for preregistration, or will a school ID work?

Comments

• Most of the answers to your questions are on the Otakon FAQ page.
  • I actually read that already. I've heard a lot of different things about food though. Some people said they had food confiscated, and others said they had no problem at all.

Specifically, around what time should I try to eat at. Odd times?
  • I actually read that already. I've heard a lot of different things about food though. Some people said they had food confiscated, and others said they had no problem at all.

Specifically, around what time should I try to eat at. Odd times?
    You should generally eat two to three meals a day at Otakon. First, I suggest you wake up before the con opens. That will allow you to get breakfast. There are a few good places to grab a quick bagel right across the street from the convention center that will not be crowded.

For lunch, there is a great food court in the mall. You can get there quite easily by taking the sky walk from the convention center. However, it will be almost impossible to find seats in that food court for even one person. The problem is that the weather is usually either insanely hot or raining for Otakon, so it sucks to eat outside. Maybe we will get lucky this year and eating outside will be alright. Even if getting a seat is hard, somehow we manage to put together a table every year. Also, there really isn't anyplace to get a better lunch. I suggest eating lunch during the day when you are hungry and there are no convention events you are interested in.

For dinner, you want to walk down the street toward the power plant. This is where you will find all sorts of actual restaurants. Make sure you go to dinner with all your friends, and make sure you are done eating before the awesome late-night convention events begin.
  • They sell food at Otakon. I really doubt that the staff will confiscate your food.

If I were you, I'd make sure to eat the food in an area that's appropriate.
  • They sell food at Otakon. I really doubt that the staff will confiscate your food.

If I were you, I'd make sure to eat the food in an area that's appropriate.
    The only food they sell in the convention itself is food that is sold by the BCC itself. It is against the rules of the convention center to have any other sort of food in the convention center other than what they are selling. Blame worker's unions.
  • Damn worker's union.

Thanks for the advice guys! I'm going to be staying at the Tremont Park, which is about a 7 block walk away... but I think I'll be o.k. considering I'm with about 3 of my friends.

Is the rave worth going to? And, if so, I feel embarrassed asking this... but should I change out of my cosplay?
  • but should I change out of my cosplay?
    What are you cosplaying as?
  • I'm actually cosplaying as Chii. I know she's over-cosplayed... but she has really pretty dresses. ^.^
  • I'm actually cosplaying as Chii. I know she's over-cosplayed... but she has really pretty dresses. ^.^
    If you can pull it off, more power too you. Just make sure to PROTECT those dresses from unwary feet. Nothings more scary than seeing a Chii walk by, then hearing a rrrrriiiiippppppp sound, followed by "Oh my god I'm so sorry!"
  • edited July 2007
    but should I change out of my cosplay?
    Hey bunnikun. Yes, you should know who I am (if you don't, think about it some more). Anyway, I saw this couple at Otakon who were in their cosplay outfits at the Rave, but they were the only ones that I saw. You should probably change out of your cosplay outfit.
    Post edited by letseatcake on

• Is the rave worth going to? And, if so, I feel embarrassed asking this... but should I change out of my cosplay?
    The rave at Otakon is generally pretty good, but most of the music is the standard *thump*thump* techno. Because of this, we tend to avoid it. We are more fans of having anime music dances at anime cons. Also, the Otakon rave is in a small amount of space, and it is typically crowded, hot, sweaty, and smelly. However, if you really like raves, it should be enjoyable for you.

As for changing out of your cosplay, it depends. If you have a cosplay that is durable, is not uncomfortable for dancing, isn't too hot and sweaty, and does take up a lot of space, then yes it is ok for the rave. Otherwise, you probably want to wear some cool clothes for dancing.
  • If you're going to go to the rave, bring water. They mention it on the Otakon website, but I can't emphasize it enough - water, water, oh my fuck water. I made the mistake of not doing so and nearly passed out. In fact, anywhere you go at Otakon, be it standing in line or just loafing about in a corridor somewhere, have water with you. Seriously.