This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Holiday Movies

edited December 2011 in Movies
What are some of your favorite holiday movies?

I personally love Mixed Nuts, The Ref, and Christmas Vacation to name a few.

I'm really annoyed that Netflix has next to bupkis for variety. They don't have Home Alone, The Santa Clause 1, Muppets Christmas Carol, and many others that I would love to watch right now. They do have that Jim Henson's Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas, which was nice, but everything else is pretty much garbage.

Also, I would like to use this thread to have a discussion about the following because The ATW9K regulars (Kev, Omar, and myself) have gone into somewhat a lengthy discussion about this while Jason disagrees with us.

Would you say that Die Hard is a Christmas movie? I would like to read your thoughts on this.

Post edited by Rochelle on

Comments

• 1) Die Hard
    2) Tokyo Godfathers
  • Oh yeah, totally forgot about Tokyo Godfathers.

So, I will consider Scott saying that Die Hard is a Christmas movie.
  • Every Christmas in England they show an animated feature called The Snowman. It's got no talking or sound effects, just music. "We're walking in the air" from it gets played in stores and such at Christmas time.

It's not fantastic. There are cooler things out there. However I've got to respect that it's the only Christmas movie that I've ever seen with a really sad ending. I love that about it more than anything else.
  • 1) Die Hard
    2) Tokyo Godfathers
    Good Choices.
    I do have a soft spot for a Christmas Story, but it is kind of over-played.

• edited December 2011
    Calling Die Hard a Christmas movie is like calling Forrest Gump a Vietnam movie. Hell, by that logic you could even call Apollo 13 a Vietnam movie; it is set in in 1970 after all.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • 1) Die Hard
    2) Tokyo Godfathers
    Good Choices.
    I do have a soft spot for a Christmas Story, but it is kind of over-played.

"Kind of"? That movie gets day-long marathons on some stations during Christmas.

1. Santa Buddies
    2. Spooky Buddies
    3. Die Hard
  • What are your opinions on Nightmare Before Christmas? It seems that a lot of people consider it a Halloween movie, but not a Christmas movie. This is incorrect.
  • I really don't like A Christmas Story. I don't know if I'm just a loser, or what, but I don't think it's a good movie.
  • A Christmas Story will always be one of my favorite films. It helps that my dad grew up where it was filmed and had a similar childhood.
  • Bad Santa and don't forget Gremlins.
  • Nightmare before Christmas.
  • Calling Die Hard a Christmas movie is like calling Forrest Gump a Vietnam movie. Hell, by that logic you could even call Apollo 13 a Vietnam movie; it is set in in 1970 after all.
    Nope. Die Hard is a Christmas movie because it is all about the spirit of giving, and by spirit of giving I mean John McClane graciously gives all the terrorists bullets out of the kindness of his heart.

• edited December 2011
    Die Hard is a movie set during Christmas, but isn't exactly about christmas. Then again, if we were to eliminate every movie that is only set during christmas, we'd end up with a somewhat short list.

Anyway:
    A Charlie Brown Christmas (it's only 30 minutes. So what?)
    Scrooged
    Planes, Trains and Automobiles

or, if you want to be a bit sillier:
    The Life of Brian
    Dogma
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • What are your opinions on Nightmare Before Christmas? It seems that a lot of people consider it a Halloween movie, but not a Christmas movie. This is incorrect.
    I consider it both! We always watched it in the animation department around Halloween, with pumpkin pie and Beard Papa's cream puffs for the students, but it is just as much a movie about Christmas.

• I sill really like The Santa Clause and Scrooged.

Also, Die Hard is definitely a Christmas movie.
  • Rare Exports (imbd, amazon) is an absolutely brilliant and dark Christmas tale that is perfect for scaring the everliving crap out of small small children (well not really, but it is not dumbed/tamed down just because it's a kids movie). The short films on which it is based:

• I sill really like The Santa Clause and Scrooged.

Also, Die Hard is definitely a Christmas movie.
    Yes to all of these.

I'm also fond of Elf. I know, I know. Will Ferrell. I don't care.

A Nightmare Before Christmas transcends mere lists.

• edited December 2011
    That's that evil santa movie that was playing at the IFC last year!
    Also; If Die Hard is a Christmas movie, is Lethal Weapon also a Christmas movie? It also takes place around Christmas, features many Christmas decorations, and opens with a Christmas song (followed by someone jumping off a building, but it does have Christmas carols in it.)
    I do not know why all the love for Scrooged. I remember thinking that movie was corny when I watched it as a teenager, but I haven't seen it recently.
    Elf was actually better than it had any right to be.
    Also, everyone should watch The Christmas Bunny which is streaming in Netflix. It's a masterpiece of Christmas cinema (trolllolololo.)
    (I actually did watch it, and basically fast forwarded through all the Hallmark family drama to get to the scenes where there are a bunch of rabbits hopping around. It is like a rabbit cornucopia!)
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • I consider it both! We always watched it in the animation department around Halloween, with pumpkin pie and Beard Papa's cream puffs for the students, but it is just as much a movie about Christmas.
    Oh my god, you just reminded me of Beard Papa. And there's one in New York? My life just got a thousand times better.
  • Scrooged IS corny. So what? It still brings tears to my eyes.

I have never seen Elf and Lethal Weapon, so I cannot judge.
  • Also; If Die Hard is a Christmas movie, is Lethal Weapon also a Christmas movie? It also takes place around Christmas, features many Christmas decorations, and opens with a Christmas song (followed by someone jumping off a building, but it does have Christmas carols in it.)
    Yes, but Die Hard is a better movie AND has Bruce Willis. So really, it's the only one that counts.
    I do not know why all the love for Scrooged. I remember thinking that movie was corny when I watched it as a teenager, but I haven't seen it recently.
    It is corny, but it features Bill Murray.

If Bill Murray and Bruce Willis got together to make a Christmas movie of some sort, the universe would implode from the awesomeness.

• That's that evil santa movie that was playing at the IFC last year!
    Also; If Die Hard is a Christmas movie, is Lethal Weapon also a Christmas movie? It also takes place around Christmas, features many Christmas decorations, and opens with a Christmas song (followed by someone jumping off a building, but it does have Christmas carols in it.)
    Elf was actually better than it had any right to be.
    Also, everyone should watch The Christmas Bunny which is streaming in Netflix. It's a masterpiece of Christmas cinema (trolllolololo.)
    (I actually did watch it, and basically fast forwarded through all the Hallmark family drama to get to the scenes where there are a bunch of rabbits hopping around. It is like a rabbit cornucopia!)
    I think the fact that (at least in my case) is in heavy rotation on the TV during the holidays, unlike Lethal Weapon, makes it a xmas movie, part of the Christmas tradition.

• I love watching Edward Scissorhands around this time a year. I don't really consider it to be a Christmas movie, but it is definitely a winter one.

Also, Nightmare Before Christmas is a Halloween through Christmas movie. I love watching it on Thanksgiving as it's right between the two holidays.
  • Why has no one mentioned the claymation Christmas classics? Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer (with the dentist elf and the Island of Misfit Toys!), Jack Frost, Santa Claus is Coming to Town... I used to watch those specials every year. Also A Charlie Brown Christmas, Mickey's Christmas Carol...
    Yeah, I guess I like anything traditional/little kiddish for Christmas.
  • Bumbles. They bounce.
  • We seem to have strayed from movies . . . so here goes:

We watched Nestor, the Long Eared Christmas Donkey last night. I'd seen it once in the 70s, probably in its first run. It's even weirder than I remembered. Nestor is the Dumbo of the Jesus Donkey world.

Shadoworc01 has probably already pointed out in some other thread that Santa Claus is Coming to Town is essentially Santa Conquers Nazi-land. You can correctly infer that several of the Rankin Bass specials are a must-watch in our home. We are in fact the Island of Misfit Toys.

I loved Bad Santa but haven't re-watched it since it came out. Muppet Christmas Carol is the bomb. Charlie Brown Christmas usually makes me cry.

I'm not sure anything's better than the Christmas scene in Female Trouble:

David Sedaris' pieces on working as a Christmas Elf at Macy's, and on bringing a prostitute home for Christmas, have saved my sanity during many holiday seasons. Also, his piece, "Six to Eight Black Men" is brilliant. It's best to hear him read it, but you can read it too.

I enjoyed the Christmas special on glee this year. The references to the Star Wars Holiday Special were fun (am I really the first one to mention that on this thread?), but the black-and-white pseudo-satirical musical numbers were the best. Also, anybody else catch the dirty joke Kurt made as they came back from commercial? Or was it just my imagination? Perhaps I just spend too much time on the internet.
  • Holidays on Ice is a great little book.
    A Dutch parent has a decidedly hairier story to relate, telling his children, "Listen, you might want to pack a few of your things together before you go to bed. The former bishop from Turkey will be coming along with six to eight black men. They might put some candy in your shoes, they might stuff you in a sack and take you to Spain, or they might just pretend to kick you. We don't know for sure, but we want you to be prepared."
  • Jim Henson's: The Christmas Toy
  • I want to see Sint.