This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Stabby Things!

edited December 2011 in Anime
We've got a thread for guns, so why not knives? I don't collect them as much as I just keep buying them randomly. I've just always loved them ever since I got my first shitty Swiss Army clone when I was like 8. I don't have many high-end ones but I did just get the current German Army version of the Victorinox Trekker for Christmas and I love the thing. So anybody else here have a thing for knives?

Comments

• Knives are scarier then guns. With a gun you hear, "bang," and you are shot. With a knife you have to see it come at you, go in you, and then come out of you. Knives are way cooler.
  • I've got a pair of butterfly knives, and that's about it.
  • edited December 2011
    I use a serrated rigging knife on a weekly basis. During the summer when I'm working full-time, on a daily basis. Stabby things are the sailor's way. Yarr!
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I'd really like a nice butterfly knife but I never see them anywhere anymore. I picked up a really shitty one for like $2 at a garage sale but the thing won't sharpen and the blade gets stuck in the handle, so its not really much use.
  • My parents gave my sister a set of throwing knives. I question their judgement, but applaud the coolness of the gift.
  • My dad bought me some years ago. I used to play with those things for hours. That set has since been broken, after being repeatedly slammed into trees and targets. Its so satisfying when those things actually stick. Man, now I want to get back into that but somehow I don't see using my throwing knives on campus being a great idea...
  • edited December 2011
    These are my four favorite cutty things I own.

Shun classic chef's knife. You don't even have to push for it to cut. You just kind of put it near a tomato and it splits like a banana.

Shun classic paring knife. Same as chef's knife, only somehow sharper.

Leatherman FUSE. I have this in my bag at all times, except when going to the airport. I use it almost every day for something or other, but not always cutting.

My newest aquisition, the Fiskars 5 in 1. The world's greatest scissor. You can even split it in half and use the black part as a knife. Also a bottle opener. Also a wire stripper. Also a box opener. Includes a sharpener. I will probably use this for all of my scissing needs for the rest of my life.

Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited December 2011
    That's not a knife. This is a knife!
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • That's not a knife, that's a spoon!
  • Because it's dull you twit! It'll hurt more!
  • That's not a knife, that's a spoon!
    I see you've played knifey-spoony before.
  • My new main stabby thing.
    And I keep a couple little ones on my keychain.
  • Because it's dull you twit! It'll hurt more!
    Probably the singlemost awesome line Alan Rickmann had ever said.
  • I was given a khukuri on my travels in Nepal if that counts? It doesn't fit on my key chain though.
  • edited December 2011
    Hmm, I think my mom still has my dad's Portuguese Army-issued machete (or catana as it's called in Portuguese) from when he was fighting in the Colonial Wars in Africa... He showed it to me years ago, and man, that was a badass looking knife a la the one in Crocodile Dundee.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • edited December 2011
    I have a little pocket knife that I use for opening the mail, and a torsion bar knife (switchblade-y but legal) that I carry in bad neighbourhoods:

Also, two swords, katana and iaito. I feel pretty badass walking down the street with the iaito after practice (it's peace-bonded and wrapped, and NYPD officers I've talked to seem cool with me carrying it on the subway like that, so I'm happy).

EDIT: Also, Cutco chef knives, while not the best in the world, are pretty good. I have a set that I got cheaply when I worked for them (for a summer).
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • On the subject of sharp pointy things, I'm seeing in various places people not carrying their swords in scabbards (namely Ezio from Assassin's Creed II). My question becomes, in situations where you know you would need to use a sword (I know, almost none noawadays) is it better to have a scabbard or not?

as for my own collection, I've got several folders including a cub scout knife from my youth (before I was a punk kid), several sizes of swiss army knives, and the knife with the flint from thinkgeek. I have a reverse-blade katana, and a cheap replica of the Master Sword from Legend of Zelda, as well as two cavalry sabers my father had from his time in the Army.
  • I would say it would be better to have a scabbard. I don't think it really takes that much longer to take it out of a scabbard than it would without it.

I considered buying one of those cheap display Master Swords a while back, but I didn't want to be that weird guy in the dorms that has a sword. I'm already kinda known for having plenty of other weapons and whatnot. I may buy an actual quality sword someday but I really have no need for one, and the price for one that is actually usable is way more than I could justify. I'd rather buy a decent machete or hunting knife at this point.
  • I have just been informed that, if you're using a scimitar, you shouldn't have a scabbard. Any straight sword, however, should definitely be in one. (so sayeth the medievalist girlfriend).

For katana, I don't know of any style that doesn't use the scabbard, at least in some degree. (Katsu would know more, though.)
  • edited January 2012
    (Katsu would know more, though.)
    Is he still around? I feel like we (forumites) haven't seen him in a while.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • In my experience with swords a scabbard is pretty much a must for any decent quality sword. Swords react poorly to being touched and not being cleaned, they tend to rust faster due to oil from skin . Also large sharp objects are best kept around with something covering the sharp bits so as to prevent stupid things from happening. Scabbards with peace ties or other fastenings on the sharp bits are a fairly standard requirement by law or policy where you can carry such arms. As for the historical or otherwise practical use of a scabbard, it like yosho says depends on the sword. My experience with scimitars in particular is that except for the wider bladed scimitars, scabbards are used, and for over size ones and edge/point cover is used. The only other exception I can think of are very large swords along the lines of two handers and hand and a half swords when worn on the back. I've seen those worn more commonly with just enough covering at the tip and hilt to hold the sword in place. Also pole arms tend to have a minimal covering.
    As for my sword/knife collection, I have 2 katanas, 1 functional long sword, a decorative gladius/short sword, a decorative dagger, and a little cheapo multitool I actually carry. 1 of the katanas is a cheapo replica sword, the other is upper end of cheap decent sword. The multi tool was free, and is kinda crap but I have had a tendency to have pocket knives removed from my possession for one reason or another so it'll stay cheap.
  • Any sword made with carbon steel (not that stainless crap) needs to be kept in a sheath that is preferably made from a soft material like leather. Make sure that the sheath itself is well oiled to prevent water from condensing inside. If you are truly adamant about keeping rust away then you should also wrap the hilt and cross guard in cloth that have also been treated with oil. Once a month you should remove the sword from the sheath and wrappings to inspect it for any spots of rust or discolouration that might have developed, which must be swiftly purged with steel wool and more oil. Gun oil works best I find, but natural oils also work.
  • Does anyone on here have any of those old-fashoned Opinel folding knives? I'm thinking of buying one since they look pretty non-threatening but are still supposed to be decent knives. Plus I just like the style. Just wondering what your opinions on them are.
  • Does anyone on here have any of those old-fashoned Opinel folding knives? I'm thinking of buying one since they look pretty non-threatening but are still supposed to be decent knives. Plus I just like the style. Just wondering what your opinions on them are.
    Opinel knives are made with carbon steel blades, not stainless, so can be made super sharp. But (see above comment about swords) they do rust and stain pretty easily. I used them for years when I lived in the country, and they were really good. I'd lose them quite often, but they were cheap enough so that didn't matter too much. My only fault of the quality was the twisting blade lock, which would loosen over time.
  • So, I'm debating getting a kitchen knife set, since my current motley assortment don't seem to be cutting it. I've heard that Wusthof and Henkels are good, but does anyone have recommendations for specific knives? (forged vs. stamped vs. LASERstamped stuff, etc)
  • So, I'm debating getting a kitchen knife set, since my current motley assortment don't seem to be cutting it. I've heard that Wusthof and Henkels are good, but does anyone have recommendations for specific knives? (forged vs. stamped vs. LASERstamped stuff, etc)
    Wusthof and Henkel are good. I have Shun, also good. You live in the city, right? Just go to the Broadway Panhandler. They will take care of you. Make sure you get a Super Komachi bread knife. Best bread knife in the universe.
  • My only fault of the quality was the twisting blade lock, which would loosen over time.
    Yeah, not a fan of those. I prefer liner-lock or frame-lock knives, if I'm picking a folder.

• I found them most irritating when they got stuck on cold days and dug into freezing fingers. Other than that a great knife. As I said I use the khukuri for most stuff, it does the job remarkably well. The only downer is that it is a bugger to sharpen.