This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Trade Paperbacks

edited January 2012 in Manga/Comics
So I am looking to spend some Christmas cash. I plan to amazon unless anyone has any other suggestions. So please suggest some trades to read and good places to get them cheap!

Comments

• I've gotten some good deals on bookcloseouts.com. I got a bunch of $1 manga a couple years back.
  • Kingdom Come.
  • Oxfam book store does me pretty well.
  • What is the name of the site that Scootaloo gets his comics from?
  • DCBS. That's for pre-ordering things, though. You get the stuff two months later, but get a huge discount.
  • edited January 2012
    My suggestion would be to check your local library. I was very surprised to find that mine has a huuuuuuge graphic novel collection. My local branch happens to be the "teen headquarters" for the county library system, but even so, it's very convenient to search their collection and request books from other branches when I need to. You can browse the whole thing and make requests on their website, and they'll email you when your books are ready to pick up.

I need to take my own advice a bit more, but so far I've read a ton of Alan Moore as well as the first 10 volumes of Walking Dead and a bunch of Hellboy.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • I'll second that. My local library has a pretty decent graphic novel section as well. That's how I read most of Buddha and Walking Dead.
  • I have done the libary thing. I have pretty much burned through everything I am interseted in. Now I am looking to build a collection to have on a shelf. I do not care if they are used as long as they are in good condition.
  • DCBS. That's for pre-ordering things, though. You get the stuff two months later, but get a huge discount.
    Except DCBS also has an all-trades branch, InStockTrades. Discounts go from 25-75%. Be sure you compare with Amazon, though, as the Amazon price is occasionally better.

• Some suggestions:
    1. WATCHMEN - written by Alan Moore and drawn by Dave Gibbons. Widely considered the very best graphic novel ever written. WATCHMEN tells the story of a world where superheroes were real, and they were a bad idea. While it definitely contains tights, superpowers, and larger-than-life events, the story is more about the people in the costumes than fighting villains. In fact, there isn't really a "bad guy" - just a bunch of people with a whole lot of psychological hangups. This is a very dense work and is one of the few comic books that is widely cosidered "real" literature. Very violent, with lots of mature content. All twelve issues are collected in a single volume, but the amount of back-up material (essays, scripts, character design sketches) varies from edition to edition. Other works by Alan Moore include V FOR VENDETTA, SAGA OF THE SWAMP THING, and THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN.

2. ASTRO CITY - written by Kurt Busiek and drawn by Brent Anderson. ASTRO CITY is a long-running series of stand-alone vignettes, short stories, and "graphic novellas" about the people and events of the titular city. Like WATCHMEN, this is a character-driven series set in a superheroic world, but while both series have a gritty feeling of belivability to them, ASTRO CITY is generally far more hopeful and uplifting than the much darker WATCHMEN. This series has been collected in a number of volumes, so you've got a lot of choices here. If you want a taste of the world, you might pick up A DAY IN THE LIFE or FAMILY ALBUM, which are both collections of short, single-issue stories that spotlight a variety of characters. If you're looking for something a bit more meaty, then look at CONFESSIONS or TARNISHED ANGEL, which are both longer stories that spanned about six issues each. Written for adults, but no real mature content. Other works by Kurt Busiek include SUPERMAN: SECRET IDENTITY and AVENGERS VOL 3 #1-56.

3. BONE - written and drawn by Jeff Smith. BONE is the story of three creatures that have been cast out of their hometown of Boneville and lost in a strange forest. This series is sweet, funny, and chock full of adventure. No superheroes at all, but a dash of quasi-medieval fantasy - dragons, monsters, farming villages. You may find it in the children's section, but don't write it off as just for kids. This is a compelling, intelligent, and highly entertaining story. BONE is collected in nine volumes, and while it was originally published in black and white, later editions added color. The first volume is OUT FROM BONEVILLE. Other works by Jeff Smith include THE POWER OF SHAZAM: BILLY BATSON AND THE MONSTER SOCIETY OF EVIL.

4. ELFQUEST - by Wendy and Richard Pini. Another fantasy series, ELFQUEST began as the story of a small tribe of nature-loving elves and their adventures in their home forest as they struggled against nature, monstrous trolls, and the humans to whom they are only a legend. It became very popular and sparked numerous spin-off series and specials. Written and examined from an adult perspective, the reader sees all elements of life for the elves. Content is mild in general with occasional adult themes and events. For example, while there is no actual nudity, ELFQUEST was one of the first comics I had seen that featured a sex scene. The original series of ELFQUEST begins with VOL. 1: FIRE AND FLIGHT. Other works by the Pinis include many, many ELFQUEST spin-offs.

5. THE SURROGATES - written by Robert Venditti and drawn by Brett Weldele. The basis for the recent movie starring Bruce Willis, THE SURROGATES is a science-fiction story about a future where virtually all of humanity interacts with the world through remote-controlled robotic humanoid prosthetics called surrogates. Some exploration is made of how this changed human life, and then the mystery kicks in as someone begins systematically destroying surrogates for unknown reasons using mysterious methods. I had first heard of the movie and thought looked like a stupid premise, but after reading the original work I have come to enjoy it. A word of warning - the art of this work is a very unique, sketchy-looking style that is in marked contrast with the art of the other works I've recommended. It can take a bit of getting used to. Mature themes, but no gore or sex. Other works by Robert Venditti, a newcomer to the comic book/graphic novel scene, include the prequel series THE SURROGATES: FLESH AND BONE

6. THE SANDMAN - written by Neil Gaiman and drawn by a variety of artists. An epic tale of gods, magic, modern-day people, dreams, and horror, THE SANDMAN tells the story of Morpheus, the king of dreams and one of the seven godlike Endless. Released from decades-long confinement by a wizard who had hoped to capture Death instead, Morpheus returns to the realm of dreams to find it fallen into disrepair. This sparks a long and winding journey for Morpheus. Stories range from modern day stories of Morpheus interactions with mortals and fallen gods to flashbacks to any point of history which the immortal Morpheus lived through. A long-running series, THE SANDMAN has elements of fantasy juxtaposed with modern-day characters and sensibilities. Be warned: this series began as a horror comic, and there are some really scary, gory, and disturbing events in the story. For example, one of the early stories involved a psychotic mass murderer acquiring one of Morpheus's artifacts of power that he uses to drive the unlucky customers of a roadside diner completely insane in a stomach-churning sequence. However, the horror elements, violence, and sex in the work are never gratuitous, but the rational results of the powers and events of the story. This comic is highly regarded and has received numerous awards. Issue 19, "A Midsummer Night's Dream," is the only graphic work to receive the World Fantasy Award for Best Short Fiction. THE SANDMAN is collected in ten volumes, beginning with PRELUDES AND NOCTURNES. Other works by Neil Gaiman include STARDUST, NEVERWHERE, and the prose novel AMERICAN GODS.

• 7. THE LIFE AND TIMES OF SCROOGE MCDUCK - written and drawn by Don Rosa. What? A Disney comic? Surprisingly enough, THE LIFE AND TIMES OF SCROOGE MCDUCK is a must-read for anyone interested in comics. This tells the life story of Scrooge McDuck, from his childhood in Scotland through the numerous trials and tribulations of making his fortune to his triumph as the world's richest duck. Yes, it's Disney, but it is also an in-depth examination of this iconic character. The reader learns exactly why Scrooge loves his money - each and every cent is a keepsake, a reminder of some adventure or event in his past, earned only through his hard work and his sharp mind. History buffs will get a kick out of the way Rosa weaves Scrooge's story with actual historical events. Read this collection, and you will see why the Disney ducks are some of the most popular comic book characters in Europe. Other works by Don Rosa include numerous Disney stories, some of which are collected in THE LIFE AND TIMES OF SCROOGE MCDUCK COMPANION.

8. AKIRA - written and drawn by Katsuhiro Otomo. A Japanese manga, AKIRA is one of the most famous Japanese comic books series, which was also adapted into a Japanese animated film and imported to America in the 1980s. The story is set in a dark post-apocalyptic cyberpunk sci-fi future, and primarily follows a pair of juvenile delinquents whose friendship is tested when one of them develops destructive psychic abilities. If you've seen the movie, you know the tone and basics of the plot, but the comic is a much longer story, with many characters that did not appear in the film. AKIRA is collected in six volumes. Other works by Katsuhiro Otomo include the graphic short story collection HIGHWAY STAR and DOMU: A CHILD'S DREAM.

9. SUPERMAN: BIRTHRIGHT - written by Mark Waid and drawn by Leinil Francis Yu. I couldn't miss an opportunity to throw in a standard superhero story, and this is one of the best. BIRTHRIGHT is a retelling of a familiar tale - the origin and first appearance of Superman - that goes into greater depth and detail than one might expect. It follows a young Clark Kent, blessed with incredible powers but questioning his place in the world and his purpose in life. This graphic novel really takes you into the psychology of Superman - his need to connect to a humanity he fears he can never truly be a part of, his struggle against the natural suspicion of the public, and his regret over being unable to save his childhood friend Lex Luthor from turning down his dark, selfish, and destructive path. An excellent take on an iconic hero. Other works by Mark Waid include KINGDOM COME, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA: YEAR ONE, and a popular run on CAPTAIN AMERICA. Other excellent Superman stories include SUPERMAN: MAN OF STEEL written and drawn by John Byrne, WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE MAN OF TOMORROW? written by Alan Moore and drawn by Curt Swan and SUPERMAN: SECRET IDENTITY written by Kurt Busiek and drawn by Stuart Immonen.
  • I just came into possession of the complete collected Milk & Cheese. Is this worth reading?
  • edited January 2012
    I just came into possession of the complete collected Milk & Cheese. Is this worth reading?
    I have heard mixed reviews, but they lean somewhat towards the enjoyable end of the scale. Not read it myself, unfortunately, so that's pretty much all I can tell you.

Post edited by Churba on
  • Locke & Key is something I would recommend.
  • edited January 2012
    Locke & Key is something I would recommend.
    There's a Locke & Key board game coming soon from Cryptozoic as well. Seeing as I will be asked to review it in the not-so-distant future, I ordered the first 3 Locke & Key volumes off of Amazon so I can generate on honest opinion on the thing. Have yet to crack them open though. Thanks for the reminder.

Post edited by Matt on