This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

SOPA / Protect IP

Comments

• Super-secret pro trick: If you hit your browser's stop button before the Wikipedia article finishes loading, you will be able to use the page as normal. They're just using some client-side styling and scripting to hide the article's content from view. Don't tell your uninformed friends.
  • I'm really glad that Google got on board with this. It makes sense that they wouldn't go dark because it would do a lot of damage to unrelated businesses who use their search engine or APIs and whatnot. That being said, if only youtube had blacked out, the flood of emails by people who need to see a cat riding a roomba RIGHT NOW would leave them no choice kill that bill and set fire to the paper it's written on.
  • Then set fire to the congressmen that sponsored it.
  • I actually wish Google would go dark. Yeah it would be inconvenient for quite a few people however if they did that it would definitely make quite a large stir.
  • If you need a quick guide to how terrible SOPA is, in order not to have it explain all to your friends yourself, use this article.
  • edited January 2012
    Reposted from the MLP thread because I made oopsies.

The Oatmeal has the best animated gif on his page.

On a related note, I notice on Facebook that most of my old high school and local acquaintances really don't post about SOPA/PIPA, while all my internet acquaintances and friends do. It really doesn't surprise me.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited January 2012
    Last time I went home I asked my dad if he'd heard of it. He reads 2-3 newspapers a day and watches the news every night and he'd never heard of them, which is really scary.

Re: Google doodles
    Google Japan's got an awesome Journey to the West one up.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • edited January 2012
    I am quite happy about the stir this has caused in my office. A lot of my coworkers hadn't thought about PIPA or SOPA before but, due to the Google doodle and whatnot, are now thinking about it.

I also think it's hilarious that icanhascheezburger's group of sites, Rockpapershotgun, and Flickr have all blacked out... but you know who hasn't? Kotaku.
    Post edited by SquadronROE on
  • I wonder how many high schoolers and journalists turned on their computers this morning and said, "I'm fucked" when they saw Wikipedia was down.
  • I wonder how many high schoolers and journalists turned on their computers this morning and said, "I'm fucked" when they saw Wikipedia was down.
    So, so funny.
  • From Gerald at AWO's Twitter. http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/

The website shows which people in Congress are for or against it as well as the money they receive from the media.
    Classes should encourage non-wiki research. It actually makes you work.
    To be fair, the only difference between using Wikipedia and going to the library, checking out a bunch of books on subject, write paper, sight references is really just a matter of amount of time being used.

In both cases, the student will learn what he is truly interesting in learning. If he/she is just going through the motions for a grade, the method used is not going to make a difference.

Wikipedia was entirely verboten at my high school. You'd fail a paper if you used it.

• If you have friends/associates/others who don't understand SOPA and are too busy to explain it thoroughly, take advantage of this.
  • One of our artists changed the header on our moddb page in protest. Every little bit counts.
  • Well I emailed all of my reps.
  • Well I emailed all of my reps.
    I'm debating whether I should email or call. I feel like I might get in trouble from calling at work, so I might wait until tonight to call Mr. Graham and ask why he is supporting a bill that would effectively squash the growth of a major industry in his state.
  • Wikipedia was entirely verboten at my high school. You'd fail a paper if you used it.
    That's why you cite the sources in the Wikipedia article's footnotes.

• Or you actually GET the sources from the footnotes. Wikipedia can be an excellent secondary source. I've used it to find primary sources in many a paper.
  • Or you actually GET the sources from the footnotes. Wikipedia can be an excellent secondary source. I've used it to find primary sources in many a paper.
    Exactly. If you're doing research for a paper you'll probably want to read those sources anyway, so you can summarize it in your own words and make sure you are using the correct information to adequately explain your point.
  • The discussion area for each article is also worth reading.
  • SOPa has caused me large amounts of amusement working today. The amount of students that lamented the lack of wikipedia was almost reminisce of some sort of biblical fury. Chief amongst these was the Essex girl that had no idea what was going on. Her world had been shattered, the walls of her mind collapsed. Her questioning rang out across the library. The caveat to this display was that she was writing an essay on Modern American Politics.
  • I always used Wikipedia as a springboard to find sources.
  • Who doesn't?
  • Who doesn't?
    I usually just read wikipedia.
  • Well, my grandpa, who writes political/social commentary poetry is going to put up a special poem on his blog today about SOPA. It hits especially close to him for him as he grew up in dictatorship Portugal and once had to censor a play he wrote due to some of its content being "objectionable."

Feel free to read it if you like, but you'll probably need Google Translate unless you speak Portuguese.
  • https://twitter.com/#!/herpderpedia
    The amount of stupid in those tweets should make me sad and mad, but I just find it hilarious. Maybe mostly because I can browse and use Wikipedia just fine, no problem. Schadenfreude is great.