This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Here are some coding resources

dsfdsf
edited January 2012 in Technology
Post edited by dsf on

Comments

• Yeah, Google is probably my number one coding resource. There are a couple sites I turn to for things such as C++ STL documentation, but I don't remember what they are offhand -- I just Google for something like std::string and the sites are always near the top.
  • Definitely worth checking out Codecademy.

http://www.codecademy.com/

Also, w3schools kind of sucks.
  • How about Visual Studio Achievements? Some of them are quite funny.
  • How about Visual Studio Achievements? Some of them are quite funny.
    I would move that the "Lonely" achievement for coding on a Friday or Saturday night would be better named "Deadline looming".

• This site is invaluable for anyone learning C++.
  • Project Euler is like jogging for the brain. Plus, you can use whatever language you're most interested in learning.
    should be:
    <a href=" http://www.cplusplus.com " > This site </a>

not:
    <a href="www.cplusplus.com" > This site </a>

I think vanilla 2 doesn't handle links very well that don't have the http.
    Fixed the URL, but yeah, that's the site I usually end up going to via Google when looking up C++ stuff. I wouldn't consider it useful for actually learning the language, though. It's mostly good as a reference for the Standard Library.
  • I think vanilla 2 doesn't handle links very well that don't have the http.
    This has nothing to do with Vanilla. It is the standard behavior of HTML.
  • When I was writing Lisp code this is the reference I used. It also isn't really the one that comes up via Google, as I recall.
  • dsfdsf
    edited January 2012
    Definitely worth checking out Codecademy.

http://www.codecademy.com/

Also, w3schools kind of sucks.
    if you are looking for quick syntactic reference then code academy is completely not what you are looking for.

btw judging by most of these responses let me qualify my original post by emphasizing the word "resources" and pointing out that it has a different definition from "learning". Say I want to code a loop in Python. I know how loops work. What I want is Python's syntax for various loops. Not the theory behind how loops work.

Sorry, but it seemed like some of you had a knee-jerk reaction and didn't parse my post right.

Also:

It's too bad that this new forum doesn't let you edit after 30 mins. It would be nice to update my original post with all the good responses to this thread. But alas, software limitations(or security?).
    Post edited by dsf on
  • But alas, software limitations(or security?).
    Security. Specifically, against cowardice. It has happened more then once that people have gotten into an argument, and one of them edited or removed earlier posts. To prevent this, the edit-limitation has been implimented.

Note that when I say more then once, I do not mean it's a common occurrence. If you have complaints, direct them at Apreche.
  • dsfdsf
    edited January 2012
    But alas, software limitations(or security?).
    Security. Specifically, against cowardice. It has happened more then once that people have gotten into an argument, and one of them edited or removed earlier posts. To prevent this, the edit-limitation has been implimented.

Note that when I say more then once, I do not mean it's a common occurrence. If you have complaints, direct them at Apreche.
    sounds like a shallow/hollow reason. If you are trying to prove something on the internet forum you've probably already lost.

Aside from stating your point or opinion, does it really matter what some faceless nerd thinks on the other side of the country/world?

Post edited by dsf on
  • Does it really matter what some faceless nerd thinks on the other side of the country/world?
    Is that how you think of us? Those are some harsh words. Now, I know you didn't actually mean it like that, I'm just saying, don't judge what you haven't seen. Discussion and argument is what this forum thrives on, and it's what keeps a lot of us here.

Though, you are right, most of us don't think this measure was needed/wanted. But, this is not a democracy, and that's a good thing most of the time. Wouldn't have it any other way.
  • dsfdsf
    edited January 2012
    Does it really matter what some faceless nerd thinks on the other side of the country/world?
    Is that how you think of us? Those are some harsh words. Now, I know you didn't actually mean it like that, I'm just saying, don't judge what you haven't seen. Discussion and argument is what this forum thrives on, and it's what keeps a lot of us here.

Though, you are right, most of us don't think this measure was needed/wanted. But, this is not a democracy, and that's a good thing most of the time. Wouldn't have it any other way.
    My opinion is that if I have to spend more then about 5 minutes making a point/ arguing then I have wasted time doing something that is more important. I'm only on the FRC forums because I've known most of the FRC IRL for over 10 years. If other people on this forum are good peoples and not obnoxious then yeah, discussion can be great. However there are quite a few times I read posts and it's basically a trolling and shit-head contest. This is my general compliant about most of the internet. And my attitude on this doesn't hinder my career or social life at all. I really don't need to interact with people from the "Negative geek culture" that is rapidly replacing the previous positive one. And I'm at my time limit for this discussion, Peace! :)
    Post edited by dsf on
  • if you are looking for quick syntactic reference then code academy is completely not what you are looking for.
    Well, yes. So?
    btw judging by most of these responses let me qualify my original post by emphasizing the word "resources" and pointing out that it has a different definition from "learning".
    This "My thread, my rules!" attitude is kind of silly.

The actual coding resources depend entirely on the language you're using, and we're not mind readers. Under your apparently very strict definition of what you're looking for, the answer is very simple: Your language of choice's actual documentation, Google, and Stack. We might as well have closed the thread after Apreche's post!
  • Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
  • dsfdsf
    edited January 2012
    deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerp!

I give up on creating something useful and informative. have a nice day.
    Post edited by dsf on
  • deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerp!

You are trying to create something that already exists in ten billion different places on the Internets. Even if this thread had gone the way you wanted, it would be useless because Google exists.

I keep saying these things over and over again, but nobody ever listens. If something can be Googled, then the neither the question nor the answer belong here. This forum is not your blog. A lot of threads people make are things that are blog posts, not forum threads.
  • dsfdsf
    edited January 2012
    deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerp!

You are trying to create something that already exists in ten billion different places on the Internets. Even if this thread had gone the way you wanted, it would be useless because Google exists.

I keep saying these things over and over again, but nobody ever listens. If something can be Googled, then the neither the question nor the answer belong here. This forum is not your blog. A lot of threads people make are things that are blog posts, not forum threads.
    Sometimes it nice to have a nice list of links that come recommended. Google doesn't always give you good information right away. Sometimes you do a search on something simple and you get something that is just way out in left field from what you are looking for. Like for example. Yesterday I had a perl program that had a hashref filled with arrayrefs, in turn filled with hashrefs filled with array refs that had normal strings at the bottom. I needed to see the structure of how the string was constructed because this program has no documentation and I needed to plug my own data structure into the function that this thing plugged into. I had 6 hours before my time on this contract expired and I could no longer get paid to work on this. In other languages you can just step through with nested loops to get to the bottom. This however is was complicate by the fact that these hash tables and arrays were actually scalars holding memory address references of the actual array/hashtable. So at every level I had to go through and de-reference all of the items. However there were scalars mixed in at every level so I couldn't just say this level is all hash tables refs so do X procedure to de-reference them. De-referencing a scalar just causes the script to crash. It was a ridiculous problem but since my experience with Perl is only about 1 week I had to do a lot of basic researching to just understand what questions I needed to ask to figure out why I was getting things like memory addresses when I attempted to output the hashtables and getting crashes when I attempted to loop through them first. "Oh, you are merely a variable holding a reference to the actual table". These statements where common. I eventually found resources to figure this out.

I figured it would be nice to post these things somewhere like here because I could save someone else the trouble of chasing this crap down all over the web like I did. Its clear you place no value on this type of thing but then this really wasn't for you. And the fact that this has turned into me having to justify doing something like this just continues to lower my opinion of "Web Geek Culture". It seems like people see knowledge as something to be hoarded and hidden and expertise should not be shared so that it can be consolidated away from others. The other day I did a search on What does "$_" mean? and one of the first forums I check stated that if you ask this question you should quit being a programmer. My response to this attitude is basically, "Fuck you and fuck your shitty attitude too." I have begun lumping people like this in with people who use the word "quintessential". They have a medical condition of cranial-rectal invasion. People who think life should be harder or more complicated so they can benefit from the repository of their own knowledge at others expense just simply don't matter.

Anyway I have shit to do. I need to make openmap and worldwind function like google maps.

Peace
    Post edited by dsf on
  • edited January 2012
    It's called stackoverflow.com. I suggest you use it because some trendy tech employers will check your stackoverflow reputation score.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I signed a document that prevents me from posting code on sites like that. I'm still trying to figure out if my company enforces it or not.
  • I signed a document that prevents me from posting code on sites like that. I'm still trying to figure out if my company enforces it or not.
    In either case, it might be time to look for a job with a company that actually allows you to GROW as a programmer.

You don't paste your actual code there. You write some equivalent example code. Look on stack overflow and you'll see most of the code on there uses really generic examples like dog and cat.

Also, you have to ask your question properly, or you won't get an answer. A lot of the times even when I tell people to use Google or whatever to solve their problems the reason they fail is because they don't know what words to search for. A lot of times you can find yourself searching for something and never find it because you don't know the magic word to search for. Once you type in that magic word, a world of amazing answers appears.
  • dsfdsf
    edited January 2012
    I don't need advice on how to use that site or the internet. I know these things. I was trying to pass information along. I know how to research what I need to do. I accomplish things on a regular basis by doing the things you are talking about.

The point I was trying to make is that you need to have a basic level of knowledge to ask intelligent questions to get the response you are looking for. There are legacy systems out there written in superseded languages that are almost irrelevant like Perl/CGI that sometimes you need to figure out how perl works in order to get the info you need. That's where Tizag and W3c comes in because you can see the basics of the language in a methodical way instead of trying to deconstruct a basic understanding from somebody's partial code that is part of a completely irrelevant questions. Say, I need to know about the syntax of how Perl does Hashtables. Oh look Wc3 has a section that explains how perl implements this thing and also explains all of it's helper functions oh and look I didn't know that Perl does referencing in this way that is unlike the other languages I know but LOOK it's spelled out and I didn't even know to ask this question. I probably saved a ton of time just reading this 5 paragraph section on that site because I immediately realized that I had to handle references differently than actual hashtables. I got lucky because I had the benefit of know to look there first. But if I had asked you instead I would have been pounding my head on the wall for a while trying to figure this out.

I have reasons for working for my company. It may be a bit stifling but I have reasons for being there.
    Post edited by dsf on
  • edited January 2012
    How about Visual Studio Achievements? Some of them are quite funny.
    We were laughing about those at work.
    "Potty Mouth" is one that came up quite a bit!
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Yeah, Google is probably my number one coding resource. There are a couple sites I turn to for things such as C++ STL documentation, but I don't remember what they are offhand -- I just Google for something like std::string and the sites are always near the top.
    this
    This site is invaluable for anyone learning C++.
    also this.

... must.. resist... using asterisk...
    this
    This site is invaluable for anyone learning C++.
    also this.

... must.. resist... using asterisk...
    Thanks man! Btw click on that link it's kind of funny.