This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Kickstarter

Comments

• If this is about Guns of Icarus stuff, I think a custom in-game special custom design logo would be awesome. I could have it on my dirigible. It would be be like and Old Timey Nyan cat on the side.
  • For those who are into Indie DS games, Island Official is releasing a limited signed copy of theirs with a $49 donation on their Kickstarter. Support them.
  • Matt Morgan is it blame for this.

I just backed Viva Java: The Coffee Game.

It looks interesting enough to play, but what really sold me is the coffee theme and the tote. Not going to lie. I love cute unique totes. I collect them so I can use them to carry around extra things like knitting or whatever. I am a bag lady.
  • Rich Berlew (Order of the Stick) is getting some of his old books reprinted using Kickstarter. If you pledge $10, you get an exclusive Roy fridge magnet and a mystery prize, and the prizes get cooler from there.
  • Rich Berlew (Order of the Stick) is getting some of his old books reprinted using Kickstarter. If you pledge $10, you get an exclusive Roy fridge magnet and a mystery prize, and the prizes get cooler from there.
    I got the low prize only because I already own almost all of these books.

• Monte Cook is asking for a rather tiny amount of money ($5000) for a rather terrible web-series about hunting ghosts. "Geek Seekers". I don't have any interest in the content, personally, but maybe some people do.
  • edited January 2012
    Matt Morgan is it blame for this.

I just backed Viva Java: The Coffee Game.

It looks interesting enough to play, but what really sold me is the coffee theme and the tote. Not going to lie. I love cute unique totes. I collect them so I can use them to carry around extra things like knitting or whatever. I am a bag lady.
    I playtested this earlier in the month when I drove down to Delaware for the UnPub 2 event. Was a fun game so I backed it as soon as I saw they launched the Kickstarter project.

The guy in the video did a pretty good job of summarizing the game's appeal. It's basically a series of short co-op games. Twist is that you make new teams every turn, so the person who is most able to float around and take part in the most successful groups will be the winner in the end.

The big focus of the game is collecting coffee beans of different colors, teaming up with other people, and cooperating to build a 5-bean "blend." The blends are ranked on a poker hand scale based on their groupings and color priority. They're placed on an income track based on their rank, and generate victory points for you every turn.

The strategic twist is that each turn, every blend on the income track loses its weakest bean. This means that when picking teams each turn, you have to judge your ability to create a blend with long-term success versus a flash-in-the pan blend. A five-of-a-kind collection of the weakest color bean will quickly become a crappy three-of-a-kind and get wiped off the board.

Post edited by Matt on
  • I feel some Ultra Rare Cocoa Bean action coming on.
    I got the low prize only because I already own almost all of these books.

I'm in for the minimum right now, but depending on what he does later, I might bump it up, at least to the level of getting On the Origin of PCs, Start of Darkness, and Snips, Snails and Dragon Tails.
  • I've read a small amount of the webcomic and wouldn't mind being able to read all of the series in a e-reader fashion, so I pledged the $10 minimum.
  • I've read a small amount of the webcomic and wouldn't mind being able to read all of the series in a e-reader fashion, so I pledged the $10 minimum.
    The $10 just gets you a fridge magnet and an origin story (admittedly, for one of the more bad-ass characters), I'm pretty sure.
  • Benign Kingdom art books by various webcomic artists such as Yuko from Johnny Wander.

$10 for PDFs aren't bad at all.
  • Benign Kingdom art books by various webcomic artists such as Yuko from Johnny Wander.

$10 for PDFs aren't bad at all.
    I get their reasoning, but I'd be more willing to pitch in enough to get a physical book if I could be assured of getting Yuko's or KC's.

The PDFs aren't bad, though.
  • It's well worth the $45 for all four artbooks; Which of the four artists isn't amazing?

Then again, I plopped down for the hardcover having barely read the page; Anything by Evan Dahm is enough to get me to purchase, sight unseen.
  • They're all amazing. However, I'm poor, at least poor enough that dropping 45 bucks like that is out of the question.
  • My only thing is I've already committed to a few other Kickstarters that will be ending around the same time, and I really should be saving more for PAX. Plus as much as I love artbooks, they just end up taking space and collecting dust.

PDFs, I can just upload in my computer/iPad and enjoy at my leisure. However, having the 4 postcards and hanging them up all together in one frame would be cool too.
  • I am well and fully comfortable dropping $100 for the full artbook.
  • edited January 2012
    I also really only know of Yuko's work, so I am ok with not getting all the physical copies of the art books. Not to say the other artists are bad. I just don't know of them an am currently not invested enough as a fan to want to make a higher pledge.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I also really only know of Yuko's work, so I spam ok with not getting all the physical copies of the art books. Not to say the other artists are bad. I just don't know of them an am currently not invested enough as a fan to want to put make a higher pledge.
    you need to get all over KC Greene stat!

• But then I will enjoy it and want to make a higher pledge. Y U DO DIS!?

Also typing on my iPad and not proofreading fail.
  • So, six days ago, I posted about the Order of the Stick reprint drive. It's now the fastest growing Kickstarter (from last night to today was almost $50,000), and is on track to be one of the top ten most well-funded Kickstarters ever. If you have any passing interest in Order of the Stick, bid the $10 minimum to get the awesome prizes. You get an O-Chul story, a Dark Sun parody, three deeper stories about various characters, Julio Scoundrel story, and now another Elan story, plus a fridge magnet.

I bid $67, but that's because I don't have any of the print-only books.
  • I got a problem with the OOtS Kickstarter. Tried to ask for help on Kickstarter, couldn't get any.

I already have books -1, 0, 1, and 2. I want to have all the books. The $78 pledge can get me books 3 and 4. But they won't get me the Snips, Snails and Dragon Tales limited edition book just for this Kickstarter. I could get that limited edition book at the $35 level.

For now I'm at the $68 level which gets me one of the two books I'm missing and the limited Snips, Snails book, but I still need one more book. Y U NO have reward for me?
  • edited February 2012
    He's basically said that so many people have so many different combinations of books that it'd be almost impossible for him to cover every single combination. It looks like Snips and Snails isn't going out of print any time soon, so order that from Ookadonk! and get the $78 WaXP and DStP combo to round it out.

EDIT: Or, he may be willing to put Snips and Snails in place of one of the origins books in the $94 pick three combo.
    Post edited by Neito on
  • I will do dis.
  • I got a pair of Kickstarters for you.

First Double Fine Productions is going to make an adventure game and a documentary on said game. It has already got its goal in less than a day but for a beta copy and real copy for steam you can donate a few bucks. Double Fine Adventure.

Now this next one is from the guy who made the CCG (which doesn't do the booster pack bullshit) for the AVGN v Nerd Final Battle. He is looking to make some new sets for the upcoming months and needs some cash. In return he is basically giving you every card he has ever printed in return in addition to the new set. Geek Fight.
  • I feel like I'm the only person who does not like the point and click adventures. They are story books of varying quality, only you are forced to click on every possible thing to solve random bullshit to see the rest of the storybook. If you play with a FAQ, there's no game left.

I like it when it's like Layton, and the puzzles, most of the time, are self contained and make sense. In the adventure game it's more about the story.

I would perhaps like them more if they were more open ended like Rym's favorite Quest for Glory series supposedly was, and not just linear. I'll just watch that shit on YouTube if it's any good.
  • I don't like them either and never have with the exception of the Quest For Glory series. My opinion mirrors Scott's, except that I understand why other people like them.

They're usually "games" in the same sense that "Elevator: Source" was a game. Some actually have reasonably interesting puzzles, but many do not.

I solidly assert that Quest for Glory 2 is the best "adventure" game ever made. Quest for Glory 4 is the second best. Quest for Glory 3 would the third best if it wasn't buggy-ass broken shit full of game-ruining glitches.
  • Whoops got one more from Indie Gogo.

Nerdquest is a movie trying to be made from the various TGWTG people over in the UK. It is a horror film where a group of friends go out for a LARP only to have a serial killer target them and kill them off. I like this concept and all are cool dudes, so throw them some money too.
  • Some actually have reasonably interesting puzzles, but many do not.
    Yeah, this is what draws me to these games. When the puzzles are well-executed, they stimulate my "think outside the box" center. Some are just irritatingly obtuse, though.

I can say that they're not really "games," but they can still have value.
  • You guys are missing the point. This is a big deal not because of the game itself, but it shows that major development studios can fund niche games without the need for major publishers. Additionally, you can probably fund them for significantly less without the need for super expensive, and probably not very effective, marketing schemes such as "game dev interviews which are actually just commercials created by the publishers". I'd like to see this model expand more. I know places like Muse are already ahead of the curve, but wide scale adoption of this model could really work.