This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

FRCF Poetry Slam

edited January 2012 in Forum Game
As is probably evidenced by some of our back and forth in the poetry thread, Gunter and I like poetry. A lot. However, we both tend towards spoken word and slam poetry, which isn't best delivered as written work. So, we had an idea. Using a Soundcloud account, we'd upload a series of spoken poems from various people and get a proper slam going. Themes and stuff may be introduced later; right now, I'm just polling interest.

So, anyone down?

Comments

• I like the idea, sounds like something I could get onboard with.
  • I would enjoy that.
  • There once was a man from Nantucket...
  • ...who put his pet fish a bucket.
    When it started to smell
    he said, "What the hell?"
    And then, down the toilet, he chucked it.
  • edited January 2012
    Absolutely!

Are we uploading these to a central soundcloud or our individual ones? In any case, I went ahead and recorded one for the hell of it.

http://soundcloud.com/patrick-campbell-1/i-smile-when-it-rains
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • It's time to get this thing off the ground. We'll all upload to one Soundcloud account; Send me a PM for the information. The theme for the first slam is "clockwork". Run with that word however you like, record it, and upload it to the Soundcloud account by next Monday.
  • Curiously, are you looking for slam poetry specifically, or any spoken poetry?
  • Curiously, are you looking for slam poetry specifically, or any spoken poetry?
    As far as I know there isn't a genre known as "slam poetry". A poetry slam is just a spoken word poetry competition, and you're free to perform in any style you want.
    As far as I know there isn't a genre known as "slam poetry". A poetry slam is just a spoken word poetry competition, and you're free to perform in any style you want.
    Most slam poets that I've seen have a fairly distinctive style that is similar across multiple artists. It's not a formalized style of poetry, but there's a certain feel to it.

But if it's all fair game, then maybe I'll join in with some Viking shit.

But if it's all fair game, then maybe I'll join in with some Viking shit.

Yes please.

Also, has everyone else bailed, or just forgotten about this?
  • I was hoping just to read some of my existing poetry, as that is what I've seen at slams before. Then you asked for poems on a certain theme. I have no poems about clockwork, or not that I can remember, and don't have time or energy to write new stuff right now.

I'll join in for the next round, or if you drop the theme idea and let us all just upload a favourites poem of ours that works well as a performance piece.
  • Oh, well. Let's drop the theme, then, provided my cohort is cool with that.
  • Yeah, I'm fine with that.
  • Uploaded....I think.
  • ...No, I don't think so. You'll have to PM me or WuB for the email and password so you can login and upload it to the shared account.
  • ...No, I don't think so. You'll have to PM me or WuB for the email and password so you can login and upload it to the shared account.
    Why aren't you guys just using the dropbox feature?
    Why aren't you guys just using the dropbox feature?
    Because I was previously unaware of it. >_>

• Yeah, I'm dumb. Upload your recordings here: http://soundcloud.com/frcf-slam/dropbox
  • I think that did the same thing as the previous time I uploaded.